1.    #1  
    Anyone have experience using the T650 in Japan? I assume the phone will work fine, but what about the email?

Bob
    The phone basically will be a Palm-powered brick in Japan. They don't use the GSM protocol there...
    Japan is CDMA?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Japan is all 3G (some of which is UMTS). AT&T used to rent phones that you could use your existing SIM card in while in Japan. I don't know if Cingular does this also...
    However, boxedlunch is right. Your Treo will be a Palm-powered brick.
    I found this. Japan has a mind of it's own when it comes to mobile phones, it appears.

http://euc.jp/misc/cellphones.en.html

You may have to drag your laptop to Japan to get email. It sounds like a big hassle to get a phone in Japan if you aren't a citizen!
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 05/06/2005 at 02:36 AM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    TMO has the same program, but I have rented a phone from these guys my last four trips. Expensive, but works well.

http://www.jcrcorp.com/index.html
    Visor Deluxe (Ice), Platinum (Black), Prism w/ Visor Fone, treo 270, treo 600, Unlocked GSM Pa1mOne branded treo 650, Palm branded Unlocked treo 680 (graphite), UBiQUiO 503g, & now HTC TyTNII TMO
  7.    #7  
    Abarrios, Thank you!!! I just spoke with JCR and I'll be using them. It seems like a great service!
    No problem. I have used their delivery option, pickup @ the hotel I was staying @ and leaving it there also @ the end of the trip. People @ the hotel are more than happy enough to help you with facilitating the service, @ least that has been my experience.
    Visor Deluxe (Ice), Platinum (Black), Prism w/ Visor Fone, treo 270, treo 600, Unlocked GSM Pa1mOne branded treo 650, Palm branded Unlocked treo 680 (graphite), UBiQUiO 503g, & now HTC TyTNII TMO
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    You can rent phones at the airport too. Vodafone has booths in Narita and Kansai at least. Also, much of both is 802.11b so you can use your wireless at the airport...oh wait! They left that option out!
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Same is true in Korea. Renting phones at the airport is a decent option.
  11. paw
    What about Thailand?
    Thailand has great GSM coverage. You can choose from 2 major pre-paid carriers. AIS offers 1-2-Call prepaid. DTAC offers Happy Dprompt prepaid. See http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=388055 for my reviews of both.
    To summarize my reviews, AIS offers better coverage than DTAC but at slightly higher rates. AIS offers GPRS nationwide, while DTAC offers EDGE in Bangkok & GPRS elsewhere. DTAC data seems to be faster throughout the country. Data rates are reasonable on both. If you stay in populated areas, you will never know the coverage difference. If you go trekking in the north to remote areas, you will have better results with AIS.
    AIS is owned by the prime minister, so if you don't like his politics then stay away.
    The best place to buy the SIM card is MBK (MahBoonKrung) Mall in Bangkok. Check out the 6th floor of the mall. All the vendors there let you pick your own # from a list on the wall (with higher prices for "lucky" numbers).
    FWIW, I use DTAC when I travel to Thailand. I travel there 3-4 times a year.
    enjoy your travels to Thailand! chok dee!
    Two countries in the world seem to have adopted a hyprid CDMA/3g solution: Japan and South Korea. GSM will work pretty much everywhere else. My wife's brother has an NTT phone (some super-sweet 3g thing) that has both GSM and CDMA, since he lives in Hong Kong but does a lot of biz in Japan. He needs both. I rent a phone when I go to Japan. Never been to South Korea. Everywhere in Europe I've been GSM worked perfectly (well as perfectly as a cell phone can work).