Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Ok so I finally got around to calling Cingular to get my unlock code. Based on some the othe threads I was ready for a long war attrition with multiple calls/faxes/proof of purchase.

I called Cingular and told them I was headed to Europe for a prolonged period of time and watned to be able to purchase local SIM cards to use in my phone. The first thing the CSR asked was what phone I had. At this point, I almost cramped up in panic, fearing that if I told him I had a treo he would notice that I was on the MediaNet plan and make me change to the more expensive PDA dataplan. Luckily he didnt say anything.

He informed me that the treo was a quad band phone so I would be able to use it while in Europe because Cingular has partnerships with various carriers over there. I told him that did not want to pay international roaming, which was why I watned to buy prepaid sim cards. He than said that I could do this even without an unlock code. Of course this is not true so I spent the next 20 minutes trying to explain to him why this is not possible. I think he finally got tired of listening to me and relented. I was put on hold while he spoke with someone else. He came back and said that he will put my request in and that I should hear from someone soon.

Having heard some of the stories of other people who never got return calls I was prepared to call back again later today and repeat my request. To my surprise, I got an email from Cingular less than 1 hour later with my unlock code and the instructions on how to enter it.

So for once I have to say Cingular did something right and actually had good customer service.

The moral of story...it is possible to get an unlock code from Cingular without too much pain. It just really depends on the csr you get.

Thanks for listening.

So I now just buy any GSM card in EUrope and it should work in my phone? If I have calls to my US number forwarded to my Europe number will callers be charged for long distance?
    Glad it went so smoothly for you.

Quote Originally Posted by buirus
    So I now just buy any GSM card in EUrope and it should work in my phone? If I have calls to my US number forwarded to my Europe number will callers be charged for long distance?
    Yep, any card should now work in your phone. If you forward your US number to the Elbonian number, your Cingular account will get billed for incoming calls at Cingular's international rate (the rate they charge to call Elbonia from the US, not the international roaming rate); your callers will only pay whatever they would normally pay to call you.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    jetkins, thanks for the reply. I am sorry but what is the Elbonian number?
    My conversation took 3 minutes, only I did not write the code down. But even after 2 ROM flashes and several hard resets, it remains unlocked. I tested it today with a TMOBILE SIM and danced for joy..I guess I got lucky. $700 for an unlocked 650? LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by buirus
    jetkins, thanks for the reply. I am sorry but what is the Elbonian number?
    Elbonia is a generic foreign country, as featured in the Dilbert comic strips.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Yeah...those starving Elbonians...having to eat mud.
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    I called them because I wanted to change my user ID, as well as verify their outgoing mail server for the Treo. And after 3 calls I finally got someone who understood what I needed to do. Even though he wasn't the brightest, he finally got the job done.

The interesting part is that I then decided to ask for an unlock code which he got for me without any problem whatsoever. He did (earlier on in the conversation) try to switch me from MediaNet to the PDA plan. Told him that MediaNet did everything I needed and that I didn't need to pay an extra $15.00 for VPN functionality that I didn't need. He said ok & that was that...

It's interesting to read about the different situations that users end up having with tech support. What was easy for me was a nightmare for someone else, and visa versa

David...
    Last edited by DavidJ; 05/06/2005 at 01:11 PM.
    I just purchased a Cingular GSM QBAND Treo 650. I will be traveling to several countries (South America, Europe, Asia locations) within a 2-3 week period. Cingular didn't indicate when I called them, that I needed to "unlock" the phone while overseas. Also, I'm not so much concerned about placing/receiving calls, but want to leave my laptop home and use the Treo 650 to receive and send Email. Any suggestions, comments, or experiences regarding Cingular Treo 650 and doing Email while traveling internationally? Thanks so much!
    Generally, you have to have your account in "good standing" for 3 months for them to unlock the phone. Get ready to sweet talk