Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Trying to play with a gmail->fastmail setup to use with Chatter.

Some basic questions:

1) I have my GMAIL account set to forward to my fastmail.us account
    2) I create an IMAP mailbox in Chatter with the following settings:

IMAP:
    imap.fastmail.us
    Login: name@fastmail.us

SMTP:
    smtp.fastmail.us
    Return address: name@gmail.com

TLS checked.

It doesnt seem to work to send anything out of the account on Chatter.

Do I have to be a paying member of fastmail?
    Is the SMTP and/or IMAP server names wrong?
    Should I not use TLS?

Hilfe...
    Tiff, You definitely have to be a paying member of fastmail (1 time fee of $15 will do it) in order to use their SMTP servers (send outgoing mail).

You should be able to receive mail from your fastmail account, are you currently able to? If you aren't able to receive mail, you might try IMAP: www.fastmail.fm
  3.    #3  
    That may just explain it Paul

Thanks a bunch.
    You should use Gmail's SMTP servers. Look in their help pages for the settings. The cool thing is that all your outgoing messages will be saved on the web in Gmail. It works great!
    sunil
    Hey Tiffany,

I use smtp.gmail.com:465
    and check just SSL under the smtp profile

works great. should not matter if you have fasmail.us; I have fastmail.fm but there shouldn't be a difference.

matt.
  6.    #6  
    Oh wow - that worked!!

I sent an email from my PC from another email accoun to my gmail account that I had set to forward to Chatter...and three seconds later it appeared on chatter in my gmail mailbox there...

I then replied to that email from within Chatter..and a few seconds later the reply email FROM my gmail account was received

AND the thread was also stored on my PC gmail account - with not a trace of any email having gone through fastmail.us

This is great!! I now have gmail-push functionality

Thanks Marc!!!! (well..and fastmail I guess...)

Hmm.....maybe I can use this for my outlook emails....hmmm.....
  7.    #7  
    But..UH OH....

Just noticed that when going gmail-fastmail-chatter I lose the ability to have my online gmail account synced with my chatter emailbox.

Meaning - I delete emails on Chatter but they do not get deleted off my gmail account on my PC...

Any way to set fastmail to 'sync' back to gmail?
    tif in the gmail settings there should be an option to trash popped email...
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    I think that's right - if you're forwarding your mail (effectively) to fastmail, then you want the mail deleted from Gmail when it's pop'ed.

Marc
    If you're forwarding mail from Gmail to fastmail and then accessing that mail on Chatter why would you ever need to POP? If so, then how (and through what procedure) would you set up POP so that you can just "sync" your fastmail and Gmail?

Would you have fastmail POP the Gmail account on specific intervals in order to sync them both?
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew23
    Hey Tiffany,

I use smtp.gmail.com:465
    and check just SSL under the smtp profile

works great. should not matter if you have fasmail.us; I have fastmail.fm but there shouldn't be a difference.

matt.
    I tried this but I still get an error message when trying to send. Could someone post their exact settings in the SMTP profile? Thanks.

Btw, I had to reinstall Chatter and didn't write down my SMTP settings for gmail...argh!
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650 | T-Mobile
    Received: 2/10/2005
  12. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by koolio
    I tried this but I still get an error message when trying to send. Could someone post their exact settings in the SMTP profile? Thanks.

Btw, I had to reinstall Chatter and didn't write down my SMTP settings for gmail...argh!
    Dunno - it worked for me in Chatter. Still couldn't get it to work in the Palm mail program but I don't use it anymore. Did you remember to put the ret'n address?

My settings are:
    Server: per Matthew23's post - smtp.gmail.com:465
    Login name: myname@gmail.com
    Password: mypassword
    Ret'n Addr: myname@gmail.com
    Full Name: my name
    everthing else is untouched, except at the bottom SSL is checked.

I tried it as the SMTP profile in my fastmail mailbox, and it works exactly like Tiffany said.
    yup works for me also..
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    Quote Originally Posted by hsk
    Dunno - it worked for me in Chatter. Still couldn't get it to work in the Palm mail program but I don't use it anymore. Did you remember to put the ret'n address?

My settings are:
    Server: per Matthew23's post - smtp.gmail.com:465
    Login name: myname@gmail.com
    Password: mypassword
    Ret'n Addr: myname@gmail.com
    Full Name: my name
    everthing else is untouched, except at the bottom SSL is checked.

I tried it as the SMTP profile in my fastmail mailbox, and it works exactly like Tiffany said.
    Hmm, I plugged in those exact settings and I still get an error (it says something along the lines of error sending: saved in Drafts folder).
  15. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by koolio
    Hmm, I plugged in those exact settings and I still get an error (it says something along the lines of error sending: saved in Drafts folder).
    Can't think of a reason why, if it works for others. You said you had to reinstall Chatter - was it due to a crash, and if so, did you hard reboot and reinstall everything? Maybe there is an incompatibility with something else on your treo? I'm assuming you had it working before you had to reinstall Chatter.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany
    Trying to play with a gmail->fastmail setup to use with Chatter.

Some basic questions:

2) I create an IMAP mailbox in Chatter with the following settings:

IMAP:
    imap.fastmail.us
    FWIW, I believe the IMAP server for fastmail is mail.messagingengine.com.

Wo
    Quote Originally Posted by hsk
    Can't think of a reason why, if it works for others. You said you had to reinstall Chatter - was it due to a crash, and if so, did you hard reboot and reinstall everything? Maybe there is an incompatibility with something else on your treo? I'm assuming you had it working before you had to reinstall Chatter.
    I had to uninstall/reinstall the app after the Palm Conduit reinstalled ALL of my apps during a HotSync. Once Chatter was reinstalled, I had duplicate of mail accounts. The only way I could get rid of them was to uninstall/reinstall. Oh, and yes, it was working prior to that whole fiasco.
    I saw the SMTP settings for gmail. Could someone give me their SMTP settings for AOL?
    Thanks,
    Pete
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany
    Oh wow - that worked!!

I sent an email from my PC from another email accoun to my gmail account that I had set to forward to Chatter...and three seconds later it appeared on chatter in my gmail mailbox there...

I then replied to that email from within Chatter..and a few seconds later the reply email FROM my gmail account was received

AND the thread was also stored on my PC gmail account - with not a trace of any email having gone through fastmail.us

This is great!! I now have gmail-push functionality

Thanks Marc!!!! (well..and fastmail I guess...)

Hmm.....maybe I can use this for my outlook emails....hmmm.....
    Tiffany, did you pay at fastmail to have SMTP functionality? I just want to be able to send from within chatter also using fastmail...

Bek
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekktek
    Tiffany, did you pay at fastmail to have SMTP functionality? I just want to be able to send from within chatter also using fastmail...

Bek
    The only thing you have to do is use your GMAIL SMTP settings for outgoing mail for your Fastmail mailbox. It works like a charm. T2 hit me up to it yesterday and I've been giddy ever since. GMAIL will even save a couple of your outgoing mail in the Sent folder.
    Crypto
    m100 -> Tungsten W -> Treo 650 -> Treo 750

"Popeyes is the shizzznit!!!"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast