1.    #1  
    Hi,
    Where does everyone find movies that can be loaded onto their 650's?

Thanks.
    T300 (6 mos.) ---> T600 (14 Mos.) ---> T650 (11 Mos.) ---> 700p
    Most record their own and compress and scale down for Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Most record their own and compress and scale down for Treo.
    exactly. I would recommend getting them into 3gp format. Then you can watch them with the native media player and you won't need to clog up your treo with Turd Party Apps.
    Last edited by juice; 05/05/2005 at 02:39 PM.
    Is that turd party or tea party ?
    Turd
    Now, is that the Turd of Macow's Morning Madhouse ?
    I haven't listened to him in while but no. It's Turd as in Turd base or you get a bronze medal for Turd place.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by juice
    exactly. I would recommend getting them into 3gp format.
    Ok, let's assume I don't know two things:

1: How do I "compress" a movie on my computer?

2: What is 3gp?

Sincerely,
    -The Dumb Guy
    There is a lot of interesting video on archive.org and I use Kinoma to reprocess it and view it on the Treo.

Tom
    There are many threads about it if you search movies.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjolnir2k
    Ok, let's assume I don't know two things:

1: How do I "compress" a movie on my computer?

2: What is 3gp?

Sincerely,
    -The Dumb Guy
    Well you'll have to probably do is pop in your DVD I'm assuming and find a ripper program and then crunch/compress it into a format like .avi or .mpeg. that file will probably be HUGE like gigs. So you'll need to convert/crunch that into .3gp which is the standard that the built in media player uses. It also uses mpeg4 and you could easily put videos into that format as well it's just that those files will most likely be bigger.

Here's what I do though. I have a ATI All in Wonder card in which I can record tv. I record everything at 384kbps wmv. Then I convert those to 3gp using this free program which I can never seem to find when I need it but it's on the board somewhere. If I find it I'll link it.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by juice
    Well you'll have to probably do is pop in your DVD I'm assuming and find a ripper program and then crunch/compress it into a format like .avi or .mpeg. that file will probably be HUGE like gigs. So you'll need to convert/crunch that into .3gp which is the standard that the built in media player uses. It also uses mpeg4 and you could easily put videos into that format as well it's just that those files will most likely be bigger.

Here's what I do though. I have a ATI All in Wonder card in which I can record tv. I record everything at 384kbps wmv. Then I convert those to 3gp using this free program which I can never seem to find when I need it but it's on the board somewhere. If I find it I'll link it.
    Excellent. Thanks for getting me going in the right direction.
  13. bkd
    You can just use Quick Install, and it will down convert videos automatically for you. I know it works with mpegs. It creates an ASF file on your Treo.

See this thread for more info:

TC thread

I've been able to pull shows off my Tivo and play them on the Treo

- Benjamin
    A search on the word "movie" turns this up:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ighlight=movie
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    Here what I do.

I use Pocket DVD Studio for Palm OS
    "Watch DVD on Palm. Have fun when you are on the go. It's so convenient to put your favorite movies, TV show in your pocket and watch them anywhere, anytime. This software provides you a easy to use interface to record video files(wmv, avi, mpeg, mpg, etc) and DVDs into portable format playable on Palm devices. Any movie less than 3 hours long can be compressed into a 128MB/256MB or larger memory card. Now you've found another good reason to justify the purchase of your favorite Palm."

It works great. I pop my DVD in the DVD player on my laptop and click "start recording". By default it will make each file the same name. You should change the name everytime you burn a DVD. Go to Options> Output Settings... and change the file name to something that shows what the file contains. If you are ripping "Anger Management", you could name it AngerMgr.avi.

Surprisingly it does not take a long time. I ripped AngerMgr.avi for the airplane ride to Memphis. I'll finish it on the way back.

Once it is ripped. You must transfer it from the desktop computer to the Palm's SD card. AngerMgr.avi was about 320MB. So you would need at least a 512MB card. I recommend getting a least a 1GB card or a 2GB card (if you can find them in stock). If you buy anything less than the 2GB card you will regret it later as you start juggling the cards and deterining how you will transport them without losing them.

For this transfer I used Card Export II which is very fast.

Copy it to the /DCIM diectory on the card. I suggest copying as the SD card can become corrupt and you will have it as a backup on the PC.

One it is on the SD card, you can either view it with MMPlayer (commercial) or with TCPMP (Free).

For more read more on them, see:
    1. TCPMP: New Free Open Source Palm OS Audio & Video Player
    2. MMPlayer: Multimedia on your Handheld
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    Quote Originally Posted by godschoice
    Here what I do.

I use Pocket DVD Studio for Palm OS...
    I, too, use Pocket DVD Studio and find it really simple to use.

You also have semi-control over the amount of compression (and resultant .avi file size). If you're willing to sacrifice a little resolution (i.e. put up with a little pixellation during heavy action sequences), you can shrink down 2 hr movies to about 150MB.

I, then, use The Core Portable Media Player (TCPMP)--free/open source--to view my movies.

All this info and more is available to you in multiple threads in the Multimedia Forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by bkd
    You can just use Quick Install, and it will down convert videos automatically for you. I know it works with mpegs. It creates an ASF file on your Treo.

See this thread for more info:

TC thread

I've been able to pull shows off my Tivo and play them on the Treo

- Benjamin
    So are you saying that you can take the .tivo file that gets created by TivoToGo and when you synch it will compress it and work with no other conversion? Or is Quick Install a different tool??

Thansk,
  18. bkd
    I don't have TivoToGo. I use TyTool, so I don't know if the conversion will work for you. I think the .tivo file is DRM'ed, so it might not convert.

The QuickInstall tool is the tool that comes with Palm Desktop. I just drag my MPEG file onto the SD card window of QuickInstall. You can try it with a .TIVO file - let us know how it goes.

Riverpast is good for 3gpp conversion:

http://www.riverpast.com/en/support/...t/3gpp/avi.php

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    The best place to look for info on this topic is the Multimedia forum. You should post questions about movies there.

Good luck!
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.