1.    #1  
    The Saved Preferences corruption problem that a few of us are experiencing since moving to the 1.23ROW firmware, has me pondering the need to reinstall from scratch again once the official update is released.

The trouble is, Saved Preferences holds a lot of information that cannot be easily recreated after a hard reset & reinstall. I can reconfigure all my preferences everywhere, and re-input all my registration codes, but there's no way to restore things like the level I've got to in Sokoban, or my win/lose stats in Klondike.

So, I was wondering if there exists a utility that can extract / manipulate / backup / restore individual preferences from Saved Preferences, either on the Treo itself or by manipulating the .prc file on my PC.

Anyone? Bueller?
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    The Saved Preferences corruption problem that a few of us are experiencing since moving to the 1.23ROW firmware, has me pondering the need to reinstall from scratch again once the official update is released.

The trouble is, Saved Preferences holds a lot of information that cannot be easily recreated after a hard reset & reinstall. I can reconfigure all my preferences everywhere, and re-input all my registration codes, but there's no way to restore things like the level I've got to in Sokoban, or my win/lose stats in Klondike.

So, I was wondering if there exists a utility that can extract / manipulate / backup / restore individual preferences from Saved Preferences, either on the Treo itself or by manipulating the .prc file on my PC.

Anyone? Bueller?
    Use a card backup app; I use BackupBuddyVFS, myself. Whenever I need it, I just restore the SavedPreferences file from last night's backup.
    I use BackupMan to back up my Treo every day. It can restore individual files, including Saved Preferences. When I have a reset that corrupts it, I just restore that. It restores everything except screen brightness, some of my hard keys, and I have to enable KeyCaps. It's a matter of seconds to fully restore my preferences after the corruption from a soft reset.
  4.    #4  
    I'm aware of VFS backups - I''ve restored Saved Prefs from BBVFS each time this has happened. But that only restores the entire file, and at this point I'm not sure that some creeping malaise hasn't infected it. So I'm pondering doing a complete reinstall once the official firmware update is released, and looking for some way to recreate the prefs that cannot be added manually.

It seems to me that this would not be a hard project. Tools like Uninstall Manager and Cleanup can already show the various entried in Saved Prefs, and allow you to delete them, but not to back them up and restore them.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
  5.    #5  
    Whoa, I just had a thought. (Yeah, yeah, it had to happen one day ) Cleanup allows me to backup individual preferences prior to deletion. I guess I could back them all up prior to the reset, and reinstall Cleanup and its backup DB first, then use its restore function once everything else is reinstalled. Hmm, that might work...