Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Have I missed something? I know I can turn the phone off by pressing and holding for a few seconds, the red power button on the right side of the keypad. At that point I'm just using the PDA. (and in preferences I have auto-off set to 1 minute). But when I press any of the application buttons (contrary to what the manual indicates on page 28) the Treo powers up immediately.

So is the Treo really off or is it asleep? I know when the phone is in the on mode, it's always on even when the screen is blank because the indicator light is flashing and I'm receiving calls (a really good indicator ). But when the phone is off and the light doesn't flash is what I'm curious about. It just seems to power up to quickly to really be off.

Thanks,

David...
    Its deep sleep. So to speak
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    So no "real" off... Thanks,

David...
    right
    The only way to completely turn the Treo off is to remove the battery. With the 600 and previous it made sense that you couldn't completely turn it off because with a VFS you would lose everything. But with the NVFS of the 650, what's the problem? Oh well, I've never been in a situation where turning off the radio and putting the Treo to "sleep" wasn't good enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81
    But with the NVFS of the 650, what's the problem?
    It's still a PDA and needs to be able to show alarms, etc. If it were completely off, that couldn't happen.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    It's still a PDA and needs to be able to show alarms, etc. If it were completely off, that couldn't happen.
    That's a very good point. I never said I thought shutting it should completely shut the unit down 100% by default. But it would be nice if there was an option to just that if it was necessary, without removing the battery. But that's not exactly high on my list of pet peeves about the 650.
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Well with this being my first smart phone ever, and not having a PDA since I got rid of my Palm IIIc a few years back, I guess my thought process has been more along the lines of phone technology that has an actual on/off switch rather than PDA's...

But thanks for the answers / discussion. I'm beginning to think more like I did when I had a Palm.... and there's so many things to remember...

David...
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81
    But it would be nice if there was an option to just that if it was necessary, without removing the battery.
    Without a physical power switch (i.e. one that physically interrupts the power line from the battery, it can never be truly OFF. Even disregarding the PDA functions, there has to be some minuscule amount of circuitry active to detect when you press the "power on" button. Same goes for your TV set or your desktop PC (assuming they were made in the past 15 years, anyway) or anything else with a momentary-contact power switch.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro