Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I recently went to the Atlanta roadshow and saw a demo of JPMobile's SureWave Connect. It is supposed to do full Outlook Exchange (2000 or 2003) sync through an OWA conduit. Looks like it could solve my firewall/VPN/battery drain problems, but I wanted to see if anyone has had experience with it before I load yet another email app on my Treo!

Thanks,

Mac
    Last edited by McTreo; 05/05/2005 at 10:02 AM.
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    According to their current documentation, it uses a redirector much like GoodLink or Blackberry Connect. In this case, this product won't solve your problems, though I suppose there could be a new, unannounced version that works as you desire.

Have you looked at NexChange (http://www.nextworks.com/). This product uses the OWA conduit and syncs as you describe, though it is still somewhat in development (with a promised stable release any day now).
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Thanks for the reply. I had not heard of the need for a redirector (I'm thinking of a PC left on to forward changes.) From what I've been able to read, it sounds alot like Nextworks, but fully baked. I could be wrong, that's why I asked the question. I read through a very lengthy thread about Nextworks. My impression was it is in a perpetual state of almost finished.

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ptyork
    According to their current documentation, it uses a redirector much like GoodLink or Blackberry Connect. In this case, this product won't solve your problems, though I suppose there could be a new, unannounced version that works as you desire.

Have you looked at NexChange (http://www.nextworks.com/). This product uses the OWA conduit and syncs as you describe, though it is still somewhat in development (with a promised stable release any day now).
    NexChange looks pretty cool. Too bad they don't have email working yet. That's what I'm really looking for.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McTreo
    I recently went to the Atlanta roadshow and saw a demo of JPMobile's SureWave Connect. It is supposed to do full Outlook Exchange (2000 or 2003) sync through an OWA conduit. Looks like it could solve my firewall/VPN/battery drain problems, but I wanted to see if anyone has had experience with it before I load yet another email app on my Treo!
    I'd be curious too if someone has had experience with it.

It would have to be very, very good though. $13/mo is a lot on top of the data charges to use it.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by santa
    I'd be curious too if someone has had experience with it.

It would have to be very, very good though. $13/mo is a lot on top of the data charges to use it.

Same here santa. The monthly charge is too much. I hope nextworks gets their email app up soon. It sounds very promising.
    For the record, GoodLink is not a redirector.
    My understanding is that SureWave isn't a redirector. It connects directly to Exchange 2003, much the same way as VersaMail. No middleware or redirector.

They have a free 30-day trial - someone check it out and report back....
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I am trying it out right now. It is easy to setup and syncs very fast even the first time. The product seems to work very well. I don't believe it connects directly to exchange, it seems like it connects to thier server. In the account setup it is not my server ip address listed their so I am sure it is not connecting directly. I don't know if it is worth 13$ a month. I have been trying to get Nexchange working but I haven't had any luck. I submitted a incident on thier helpdesk serveral days ago, and have not recieved any help yet. I hope to get it working, it will be my first choice for our company since it connects directly.
    here's how this works, I betcha:
    So you have your Exchange server, with OWA as an option.
    The JPMobile server acts as the middleman, and essentially connects via OWA to your server.
    The client app on the device just hooks into the JPMobile web servers, which are connected via OWA to your Exchange server.
    I bet this is how this thing works. Since they charge a monthly fee for it, there's got to be a middle piece involved, that they host. That makes sense to me - I was wondering how they expect people to pay that when the alternative is just getting an Exchange2003-compatible client app on the device, like VersaMail or RoadSync from DataViz. They charge because they host the middleware, which in turn has all your mail on it.
    Not an enterprise solution that's for sure.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Nope. Not an enterprise solution. It's a solution for folks like me who have IT departments that won't allow access to the servers. All I can get to is OWA.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    OK. I decided to take the plunge. The setup was not as trouble free as I was led to believe, although I am not above some user error. One problem is they don't have a user's manual yet so I didn't have anyway of knowing if everything was done properly. For example, when you do your first sync, they don't download your existing email, even for the abrieviated time period the user sets to hold email on their unit, 15 days in my case. I think the download failed, but it didn't. My contacts were dupelicated 4 times.

Now thats all over and a few days usage will give me a better idea of the functionality. I'll post again.

As far as the price, I don't want to pay 12.95/month, but if this solves my problems I will gladly do it. I will however, keep my eye on NexChange.

Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Good news and bad news. The good news is it looks like it will solve my VPN/firewall/battery problem. The bad news is it still is not working properly. I will get an occational pushed email, but not all. Some will sit on my Exchange server until I manually sync. At this point I am only willing to sync my email. Syncing my other folders results in too many problems like duplicated contacts and wiped out calandars. They, to their credit, have escalated my case to the developer. But, they have not gotten back to me either. I'm going to be patient because I want to see if it will work.

Mac

Shouldn't it be possible to write a Palm app that simply reformats OWA screens for efficient viewing on a Treo web browser? I.e. something that would do what OWA for PDA by www.leederbyshire.com does, but without requiring a server component. This would give us 90% of the functionality of surewave, nextworks, etc. I realize it wouldn't be true "push" email, and would be slower than the aforementioned apps since full web pages would be sent to the device, but I'd think it would be acceptable for many uses.
    Last edited by John P. Smith; 05/16/2005 at 10:34 AM.
    You mean like OMA John?
    Yes -- except not requiring Exchange 2003, or IT involvement.
    hey all, nexchange rc1.5a is available here:

http://www.nextworks.com/nexchange/n...ngeRC_1.5a.zip

and its AWESOME

NexMail will be out in 24 - 48 hrs!!
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I have deleted SureWave from my Treo and cancelled my trial. I think something quirky was going on with my account. It has to be a better app than I experienced. I just had way too many problems, and not near enough answers. I am moving on to Nextworks and am very excited about it. I wanted to clear out the surewave stuff before starting on Nexchange.

PLEASE keep this thread going. I want to hear how others are doing with SureWave.

Thanks! -Mac

I couldn't get past the verify process on the website. I'm pretty sure I keyed in the proper parameters.