Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1. msales15's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
       #1  
    I have been reading past posts on this topic and have found nothing very recent. My question is : between Pocket mirror XT and Beyond Contacts which is better for a Treo 650 and Outlook 2003? Specific avantages or disadvantages to either?
  2. #2  
    I think a better comparison would be between Chapura's KeySuite and Beyond Contacts...
  3. #3  
    Which conduit: PalmOne's supplied or Chapura PocketMirror XT does a better job?

    Does PM XT use the newer databases (calendar.pdb)?

    Does it transfer the Meeting attendde and meeting organizer information correctly between Outlook and Treo650?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  4. #4  
    I use palm's outlook sync (came on cd with my treo 650) and outlook 2003...no probs. I have used Pocket Mirror since it first hit the market (back w/ the palmpilot pros) but gave palm's util a try and never looked back.
    outlook 2003 at work, palm desktop at home, no sync problems
  5. #5  
    I've been testing out Beyond Contacts, and it does the best job in my opinion in syncing all of the Outlook fields perfectly. There are about 2 quirks I don't like, but they are so minute that I won't even worry about it. I'll test a couple of more days before I decide to buy or not.
  6. #6  
    I use PocketMirror Pro XT and it's fabulous - it has tons of customization ability, including the ability to sync to public folders (which is a huge plus). With it, I'm able to get thousands of contacts, all from different folders and subfolders.

    There's other nice features, for example, I like the feature of pocketmirror NOT syncing calendar alarms, as I couldn't stand because the reminders kept popping up on my phone (and I don't need them).

    One of my clients actually purchased this app just so it would automatically click OK to the popup that Outlook pops up with when doing a hotsync.

    Aprasad asked about the meeting attendees/organizer information, and it does not sync those, although you have the option to preface a meeting with MTG: so you know that it's a meeting.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorea
    One of my clients actually purchased this app just so it would automatically click OK to the popup that Outlook pops up with when doing a hotsync.

    another way to inexpensively (read free) do this is to download the software EXPRESS CLICK YES and it'll do it for you.

    Robert
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by dimensiondvdrob
    another way to inexpensively (read free) do this is to download the software EXPRESS CLICK YES and it'll do it for you.

    Robert
    Oh, good to know! Thanks for the link.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorea
    Aprasad asked about the meeting attendees/organizer information, and it does not sync those, although you have the option to preface a meeting with MTG: so you know that it's a meeting.
    Please answer this about PM Pro XT:

    For a meeting that originated in Outlook by a co-worker, and with multiple attendees, what happens if you edit the meeting on the handheld? For example, disable alarm or add an icon, or something .. on the handheld.

    When this meeting is synced back to Outlook,

    a) is the meeting attendee list still there in Outlook?
    b) is the original guy who originated the meeting still the meeting organizer? Can you reply, delete the meeting etc in Outlook with the appropriate action (like a cancellation notice NOT going out to attendees - as you weren't the meeting organizer..)

    The gist of my questions is: I know Chapura is not synchronizing this information. But, is it messing up this information if the item is edited on the handheld?

    Thanks.

    Aloke

    PS: Palm1 conduit is synchronizing Attendee list correctly but messing up the meeting Organizer info.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  10. #10  
    There are only two Sync programs for the PAlmOS that even attempt to sync all (or should I say almost all) of the Outlook fields to the handheld. They are Chapura Keysuite and Beyond Contacts. From my personal experience with both I think Chapura Keysuite is a clear winner and thus it is the very best Outlook Sync program for the Palm OS. Although I wouldn't call it perfect since it does lack in terms of interface and theere is certainly a lot of room for improvement on that front. But as far as syncing all the Outlook fields is concerned it does a fine job. By the way now that (has been for a while) is capable of being used as the Treo Caller ID database you don't even need to sync the native Contacts databse of the Treo.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

    Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  11. #11  
    Keysuite replaces P1 PIMS (Calendat, Tasks, etc) and their associated databases with it's own proprietary PIMs and databases.

    I prefer to use applications that use the P1 databases (like Datebk5, 2Day etc). Chapura's PM XT is _supposed_ to synchronize Outlook related information into the built-in databses on the Treo 650.

    It appears that it does not do a good job of doing this. It does not sync the Attendee info although P1's Calendar uses this information and shows it in the Details view of the appointments. P1's conduit does transfer the attendee information correctly.

    Thus, so far, P1 conduit is ahead in this respect.

    The question is: Does PM XT also screw-up the meeting Organizer info like P1 conduit does..
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Please answer this about PM Pro XT:

    For a meeting that originated in Outlook by a co-worker, and with multiple attendees, what happens if you edit the meeting on the handheld? For example, disable alarm or add an icon, or something .. on the handheld.

    When this meeting is synced back to Outlook,

    a) is the meeting attendee list still there in Outlook?
    b) is the original guy who originated the meeting still the meeting organizer? Can you reply, delete the meeting etc in Outlook with the appropriate action (like a cancellation notice NOT going out to attendees - as you weren't the meeting organizer..)

    The gist of my questions is: I know Chapura is not synchronizing this information. But, is it messing up this information if the item is edited on the handheld?

    Thanks.

    Aloke

    PS: Palm1 conduit is synchronizing Attendee list correctly but messing up the meeting Organizer info.
    Okay, I did my homework. After making changes to the handheld and hotsyncing again...

    a) is the meeting attendee list still there in Outlook? - yes, it's still there
    b) is the original guy who originated the meeting still the meeting organizer? Can you reply, delete the meeting etc in Outlook with the appropriate action (like a cancellation notice NOT going out to attendees - as you weren't the meeting organizer..) - yes, everything is still the same, except it adds the additions that you added in the handheld.

    Also, you state that the P1 conduits are syncing the attendee list, and to my knowledge, they were never synced on my Treo650. What screen do you see this on?
  13. #13  
    Thank you for the tests. I will seriously consider buying PM Pro XT now.

    If you open the PalmOne Calendar application, locate the meeting, Click Details, you'll see a field called With that has the list of attendees. Clicking on the list will pop-up a dialog box where you can select who all to reply to by e-mail!!

    I'm glad that the Chapura product is maintaining the attendee and meeting organizer when the items are synced back to Outlook.

    You did check for these in Outlook, didn't you?

    Can you have the handheld so that ChapuraPM Pro XT is used at one location (at work, for me) and the regular Palm conduit into Plam Desktop is used at another (at home)?

    I hope Chapura doesn't alter the handheld setting in any way to disable Palm Desktop conduits on the handheld.. I use Outlook at work, but the simpler Palm Desktop at home PC..
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Keysuite replaces P1 PIMS (Calendat, Tasks, etc) and their associated databases with it's own proprietary PIMs and databases.

    I prefer to use applications that use the P1 databases (like Datebk5, 2Day etc). Chapura's PM XT is _supposed_ to synchronize Outlook related information into the built-in databses on the Treo 650.
    If Keysuites were to use the built in databases then it would be limited to only synching the fields that are present in the native Treo databases. But the whole idea is to sync more of Outlook which is just not possible while using the native databases.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

    Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    If you open the PalmOne Calendar application, locate the meeting, Click Details, you'll see a field called With that has the list of attendees. Clicking on the list will pop-up a dialog box where you can select who all to reply to by e-mail!!

    I'm glad that the Chapura product is maintaining the attendee and meeting organizer when the items are synced back to Outlook.

    You did check for these in Outlook, didn't you?

    Can you have the handheld so that ChapuraPM Pro XT is used at one location (at work, for me) and the regular Palm conduit into Plam Desktop is used at another (at home)?

    I hope Chapura doesn't alter the handheld setting in any way to disable Palm Desktop conduits on the handheld.. I use Outlook at work, but the simpler Palm Desktop at home PC..
    Hmm...nope, I don't have a With field....just Time, Date, Alarm, Location, Category, Repeat, & Private. Are you using a Treo 650??

    Yes, of course I checked it in Outlook...that was the whole point of the exercise, no?

    Basically, PocketMirror feels like Outlook conduits, only with more flexibility and options. So....just assume that anything the conduits can do, PocketMirror can do better.

    It's too bad that they don't allow for a trial/demo version so you can test this out yourself!
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorea
    Yes, of course I checked it in Outlook...that was the whole point of the exercise, no?
    I know, I know.. Just checking (your rolling of the eyes is justified).

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorea
    Hmm...nope, I don't have a With field....just Time, Date, Alarm, Location, Category, Repeat, & Private. Are you using a Treo 650??
    Yes! Using the Calendar v 1.2.1 that comes on the Treo and the PalmOne Outlook conduit, here is what my screens look like (attached files in sequence).

    Notice the Location field in parenthesis in the title of the Meeting as shown in Calendar. Next is the screen when Details is tapped. Notice the Location field and With field. Tapping on the With field brings up the next screen with all the attendees. If I select some and tap Reply, it puts their e-mail addresses (which are not on my Treo Contacts !!) in the default e-mail application on the Treo. Pretty cool, huh!

    All this with the stock apps supplied by the Treo 650.

    I will be totally devastated if you confirm that the vaunted Chapura PM Pro XT product is not passing this information to the Treo (as confirmed by opening an Outlook office meeting with multiple attendees in the Treo Calendar.)

    If the PalmOne Conduit wasn't screwing up the Meeting Organizer info, I'd be all set....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  17. #17  
    Wha!? I don't have that field on my Treo!! I'm using a Sprint phone....is yours GSM? Do all of you other Treo 650 users have this option too?

    To my knowledge, I never had this field (including when I was just using the regular P1 conduits).
  18. #18  
    Intellisync is by far the best, not the cheapest, just the best IMHO. You can choose various personal lists to sync with, so as to keep personal contacts, tasks, calendar, etc seperate from work.
  19. #19  
    I have been using the Palm, Outlook, Beyond Contacts and Chapura KeySuite since all their respective first versions, and I have to say that without question, the best synchronization software if you need to sync ALL of Outlook's fields is Chapura KeySuite. By far.

    For my purposes, KeySuite is far better than Beyond Contact because:
    1) It syncs much much much faster than BC (the latter has improved, but is still much slower)

    2) Most Importantly for Treo Users: You can get to the specific application (Contacts / Calendar / Task / Notes) you require with just one button press - as each application is a separate one, and therefore you can set a Favorites button to each one. Beyond Contacts has a really clunky "home" application that you have to first go to, and then select the target application you really want. I don't know if BC has smartened up and split up their applications since February, when I last installed it.

    3) KeySuite's applications now integrate really well with the Treo's phone functions - BC may have improved in this regard to, but I haven't bothered to install the latest version since about February.

    4) KeySuite doesn't try to force you to use an inbuilt email viewer - yes you can choose not to, but the interface was designed for their "Mailbox to Go" product. This is much better if like me you prefer "clean" installs, and use another email software (e.g. VersaMail or SnapperMail).

    5) KeySuite works. My PC crashed, and I was able to restore my entire Outlook 2003 .PST file from my Treo's KeySuite database (sans the email of course).

    T
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorea
    Wha!? I don't have that field on my Treo!! I'm using a Sprint phone....is yours GSM? Do all of you other Treo 650 users have this option too?

    To my knowledge, I never had this field (including when I was just using the regular P1 conduits).
    Yes, I have a GSM (Cingular) phone. What version of PalmOne Calendar is on your phone?

    Maybe you never checked (when using PalmOne Conduit) the Details for meetings that a) originated in Outlook, b) had attendees c) had a meeting location. These fields will not be there in the Details view for "normal" appointments.

    Did you use the latest P1 conduit (ver 1.02) before installing Chapura PMPro XT?

    Too many things are getting thrown into the mix. Clearly, the conduit has everything to do with what data gets transmitted into the CalendarDB-pdat and other databases on the Treo.

    I use 3rd party software like Datebk5 and 2Day. So, it's very important that I stay with conduits that affect the standard databases (like the ones used by the PalmOne supplied Calendar, Tasks, Contacts, Memos).

    I did check with Chapura tech support and they said that they did not sync location, attendee and organizer info because these fields are "non-standard". Apparently, PalmOne published the details of their databases a few days ago. Maybe Chapura will add these to their conduit in an update.

    Please let us know if/when Chapura issues an update to PMPro XT and if that ends up transmitting these fields to the Treo 650...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions