Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    I got my Cingular Treo 650 a bit more than a month ago and I got the $24.99 Unlimited Media Net plan. I just got my first bill from Cingular and I was a bit surprised to see that I used just over 100M. I used PDAnet for a short time with my laptop once, but the vast majority of it was done on the Treo itself. Is this typical or a lot? I'm a bit worried about downloading so much data with the Media Net plan.

Thanks,
    Brett
    Just Curious, why are you worried about DL so much, if you are on a UL data plan?

Rogers Wireless does not have a UL data plan. It would cost me over $100/month to use what you are using.
    Soylent Green Is People

My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Wow! That's alot...last month I used 21Mb of data and thought that was a lot.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillin_
    Just Curious, why are you worried about DL so much, if you are on a UL data plan?
    Cingular (my carrier) has two unlimited data plans. One is called MediaNet and is only $25 per month. The other is called PDANet and is $40 per month. Obviously us Cingular users would prefer to use the cheaper plan, but Cingular recently decided that the Treo is technically a PDA, so any Treo's need to use the PDANet plan. According to Cingular the cheaper MediaNet plan is only for 'regular' phones.

The rules were still in flux when I got the cheaper plan (they still are to some extent) but I'm concerned that if I use a ton of data they'll notice and realize that I can't possibly be using a regular phone and force me to switch to the more expensive plan. I dunno... maybe I'm just worried about nothing.

Brett
    My treo 650 is barely a week old. The salesman told me that the unlimited media net was for WAP type sites only. I insisted that I would try it that way and if I didnt like it I would upgrade (knowing full well there was no difference) so he put it on my account. I noticed that there was a line on my account that said "internet pay per use" so I called a CSR and had her remove it, that took her a few minutes she said she had to "trick" the computer, but I did verify her success online.

Also it took me 3 minutes to unlock my phone with another CSR. I couldn't believe it after the pages and pages of threads and the dozens of emails and calls some people have to do to unlock their phone. I swapped in a TMOBILE SIM today and made a call from it!
    What are you exactly downloading to your Treo? Media is kind of a broad generic term. I've only used about 5MB of my unlimted data plan, and that's mostly through Express Weather and its affiliates.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunky Egg Foo
    What are you exactly downloading to your Treo? Media is kind of a broad generic term. I've only used about 5MB of my unlimted data plan, and that's mostly through Express Weather and its affiliates.
    I do a lot with data on the Treo... I use it daily for email with Chatteremail and I also syncronize my Exchange 2003 calendar with versamail. I don't know how much data either of those really use, but my guess is that it's not a significant percentage of my 100M. I also use DA a bit, but I don't think that's a big data user. I did some Shoutcast streaming with the trial version of PocketTunes (maybe 20-30 minutes... just to see how it works). I've used Mobile TS and Mocha's Remote Client to connect to Terminal Services a bit and I also use Blazer to browse the web and read some of these boards quite a bit. I also download apps directly to my Treo through Blazer (I use palmhandzipperlite to unzip them). Like I said, I also used PDAnet a bit to connect my laptop a bit, but that too was mostly just to see how it worked. I think that's about it

Brett
    Last month was my first full month with the Treo. Between Snapper, Blazer, and a couple of days' DUN, I used 85MB.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    How do you find out about the data usage amount? On the phone? on Cingular web site?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettS
    but Cingular recently decided that the Treo is technically a PDA, so any Treo's need to use the PDANet plan. According to Cingular the cheaper MediaNet plan is only for 'regular' phones.
    Brett
    I'd like to see that "rule" because I want to switch to MediaNet from PDANet. Was that just a verbal rule or written on Cingular site? I have had my treo for nearly a week now, but I'm hoping that I can look forward to spending only 25 bucks per month instead of 44 bucks.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I think I average about 75-100 Megs a month. I browse from the Treo more than my home PC anymore, I check my email, I use shoutcast, and I have Verichat connected 24/7. I think I actually do pretty good considering what all I am actually doing. Ever since I got WebPro on my Treo to work well I do a lot with that, in the Optimized mode and coming through the proxy there are several site that I think it formats better than Blazer, but I use Blazer when I do mobile Treocentral. Just all depends on what I am doing and how bored I am
    oh chillin you so cheap, come join me in paying 100 for 100...its blllllllliiiiiiisssssssssssss

I do a lot of browsing on BBC, BBC Sport, USA Today, CBC
    and then I use TreoAlarm for my weather needs
    I use Verichat, and well sometimes it can go from being used for 1 min to 1 hour
    I have Versamail check my email every 5 mins (battery life is not a problem with me)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettS
    Cingular (my carrier) has two unlimited data plans. One is called MediaNet and is only $25 per month. The other is called PDANet and is $40 per month. Obviously us Cingular users would prefer to use the cheaper plan, but Cingular recently decided that the Treo is technically a PDA, so any Treo's need to use the PDANet plan. According to Cingular the cheaper MediaNet plan is only for 'regular' phones.

The rules were still in flux when I got the cheaper plan (they still are to some extent) but I'm concerned that if I use a ton of data they'll notice and realize that I can't possibly be using a regular phone and force me to switch to the more expensive plan. I dunno... maybe I'm just worried about nothing.

Brett
    Okay...I win! According to last month's bill, I used 375,858kb and began worrying about the same thing. I don't have my laptop anymore and am always picking my Treo up...even when I try not to.
    (Crazy addicted)

I guess with that much usage, I really couldn't blame them if they bumped my plan up. I was just hoping to see similar numbers in this thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    Okay...I win! According to last month's bill, I used 375,858kb and began worrying about the same thing. I don't have my laptop anymore and am always picking my Treo up...even when I try not to.
    (Crazy addicted)

I guess with that much usage, I really couldn't blame them if they bumped my plan up. I was just hoping to see similar numbers in this thread...
    I have Sprint's u/l vision and since I bought my phone in November I have used only about 616,662kb.
    I use my Treo 650 with T-Mobile's $19.99 Unlimited Internet Plan. Last month, between Snappermail, Blazer and streaming music via PocketTunes, I used 272 MB. I reckon I'm gettin' my money's worth!
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    MW Unlimited $19.99/mo. Use about 100 MB per month
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    I only use about 20-40 megs a month. But if it were Pocket IE with EDGE I'd be using A LOT more. Also Cingular has me as having a Siemens S56 on their computer w/ unlimited MN for 19$. I should be safe.
    Well, Bill Gamble you made me feel a little better...:-)
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    I also have the Unlimited MEdiaNet and I used 87M last month! So far Cingular has not caught on yet...I guess I need to keep my fingers crossed. I think this is mostly from streaming Shoutcast and emails through Chatter.
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    How do you find out about the data usage amount? On the phone? on Cingular web site?
    On your Cingular bill. If you don't have the printed bill, you can generate another in .pdf format from their web site.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast