View Poll Results: How big of sd card to use on a daliy basis?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

3 8.82%

7 20.59%
  • 1g

24 70.59%
  1.    #1  
    I have had the treo 650 now for about 4 mounths and love it . i use z launcher to transfer most apps to my card and all in all i love it. i just looked at my mem i have left on the 650 and i am down to 1.2 megs. so my question is what is the best way to do a little spring cleaning? Not to sure what databases can be blown away and waht needs to be kept around. i have messed up my versa mail before just going in an deleating stuff!! any help would be great!! thanks
    zc
    Last edited by striperbooter; 05/04/2005 at 04:07 PM.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    I use the free 128 MB card that Palm offers (non-Sprint users).

I also have a Zodiac2, so I have 512 and 1GB cards around, but I don't use them in the T650 often.
    HS visor Deluxe (Blue) & Palm IIIx ► HS visor Prism & visorPhone ►P1 T|T & SE T68i ► Tapwave Zodiac2 & P1 Treo 650 GSM ►Treo 680 unlocked ► Sprint Pre(-)►TouchPad & Sprint FrankenPre2 VZW

I will leave Palm/webOS only after kicking, screaming and wrecking anything on my way out.

- (Sigh)... It died.
    i use a 1 gig card that stays in all the time. i run practcally everything from there with zlauncher. i have 15.1 megs still left on my 650.
    It depends on if you want a lot of pics, videos, movies and music. If that's important to you and you want anytime access to it, the bigger, the better. If you're just storing apps and backups the larger ones aren't as necessary.

I have a 512 but after seeing the prices these guys have found on the 1g and 2g, I wish I would have gotten the bigger ones and left my options more open.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    I wish I would have gotten the bigger ones and left my options more open.
    wait, i thought size didn't matter!
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Unless you want those "open" options.
    HS visor Deluxe (Blue) & Palm IIIx ► HS visor Prism & visorPhone ►P1 T|T & SE T68i ► Tapwave Zodiac2 & P1 Treo 650 GSM ►Treo 680 unlocked ► Sprint Pre(-)►TouchPad & Sprint FrankenPre2 VZW

I will leave Palm/webOS only after kicking, screaming and wrecking anything on my way out.

- (Sigh)... It died.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I can't vote, I use a 2gb card!! Maybe you all can update the poll to support 2gb cards?
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by gbobman
    Unless you want those "open" options.
    and "open" options will strengthen your relationship.... with your treo. that's just what i've heard.
    Quote Originally Posted by striperbooter
    I have had the treo 650 now for about 4 mounths and love it . i use z launcher to transfer most apps to my card and all in all i love it. i just looked at my mem i have left on the 650 and i am down to 1.2 megs. so my question is what is the best way to do a little spring cleaning? Not to sure what databases can be blown away and waht needs to be kept around. i have messed up my versa mail before just going in an deleating stuff!! any help would be great!! thanks
    zc
    Have you applied the NVFS file system update (ROM v. 1.08 for Sprint)? If not, that's the most important thing to do. It'll free up a lot of RAM.

If you've already done that, well, you can move almost any app that isn't a "background" process to the memory card. Thing's like Butler, TreoGuard and other apps that need to be able to "trap" other events don't work very well from the card, I think. Docs-to-go needs a special utility (available on their web site - do a search here on TC to find the link) that will move a lot of DTG to the card.

If in doubt, try it, and if things don't seem right move it back.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretender
    and "open" options will strengthen your relationship.... with your treo. that's just what i've heard.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...es/biggrin.gif !!

- (Sigh)... It died.
    I also use Z Launcher and have all apps that can reliably run off the card on the card.

I currently have 11.6MB free.

The firmware upgrade to 1.23 gave me an extra 5.6MB of free memory so tht may be helpful to you.

In terms of what size SD I use, definetely a 1GB. Not for the apps, but for the videos and MP3s (my Treo is my MP3 player).

Just a warning for you, if you only have 1.2MB left be carefull about installing new apps. If you try to install apps beyond your available memory your Treo will go into a reset loop with the only way out being a Hard Reset. And then when you re-sync your data it will go back into that same loop because it is again trying to install past your limit. It has happened to me 4 times, not fun.
    Soylent Green Is People

My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
    plus, putting more in then you can handle is just bad form. so you shouldn't even try. don't say you can then have the reflex kick in and send you into a reset loop. it's no fun.