Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just scrolled through about 15 pages of software titles (after searching) and still have no idea what I should use for an uninstaller and a backup program for my new T650.

Apparently backupbuddy does not work on the T650 (I used it on my 600)

Can someone help me out with these?

Thanks in advance
    T300 (6 mos.) ---> T600 (14 Mos.) ---> T650 (11 Mos.) ---> 700p
    I use Uninstall Manager from NorthGlide.com and BackupMan from bitsnbolts.com

I also use CardExport from softick.com to make backup copies of the SD card to my PC hard drive without having to take the card out of the Treo, but that's just icing (although CardExport is useful for more than just doing backups, in particular, letting you do flie managment of the SD card with the Windows GUI instead of a PalmOS file manager).

Works great for me, no complaints.
    Unlocked GSM Palm 650.
    Northglide's Uninstall Manager is the uninstall tool to get - I don't believe I've yet heard anyone say otherwise.

Backup utilities are a little more esoteric. If you look around, you'll find many folks singing the praises of BackupBuddy VFS (which does work on the 650, btw), BackupMan, and BotzamBackup. However, you'll also find folks who have reported problems with each of those products. The problem is that while they may appear to be backing up OK, it's the restore that's really important, and finding out that your only backup of that critical file you just lost, is corrupt, is not a pleasant experience.

There are so many variables (what else is running at the time of backup, are any files corrupted, etc) that it's impossible to say that one product stands out above the rest in all circumstances.

Personally, I use BackupBuddy on my desktop as my primary disaster recovery tool, and it has never let me down. With the checkpointing functionality of the latest version, I can go back to last night, last month, or even last year, if I so desire.

However, since I'm not always at my desk, I also use both BackupBuddyVFS and BotzamBackup to back up to my SD card. In the event of a disaster, the odds are excellent that I'll be able to recover using one or both of those two, and if not, I will just have to wait until I get home.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    I've been happy with TealBackup from TealPoint Software. Haven't seen it mentioned in this thread yet.

I've used it extensively on my 650, and restore works fine.

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Firmware:01.71
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    hey mcdan can tealbackup, backup more than just one date. with backupbuddy vfs i can only have one backup on my sd card. not like my clie i could have more than one date or day of backup.
    I don't get the need for a backup program?

Isn't that what Syncing is for?

I have had to Hard Reset my Treo over a dozen times, and I have Never lost anything. So, whats the point?
    Soylent Green Is People

My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillin_
    I don't get the need for a backup program?

Isn't that what Syncing is for?

I have had to Hard Reset my Treo over a dozen times, and I have Never lost anything. So, whats the point?
    I think the true definition of a hard reset is one that requires you to reinstall your data. In that event, you'd want a backup program. Also, what happens if you are out and need to restore your entire device or a few files? Yes, you could say that won't happen, but the backup program gives you the added protection.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    I think the true definition of a hard reset is one that requires you to reinstall your data. In that event, you'd want a backup program. Also, what happens if you are out and need to restore your entire device or a few files? Yes, you could say that won't happen, but the backup program gives you the added protection.
    Yes, of course I would need to re-install all data. But, simply doing a sync after a Hard Reset will automatically re-install all my apps./data. So, again what do I need a backup program for, if all it does is exactly the same as what syncing does anyways?

You said "what happens if you are out and need to restore your entire device". That completely makes sense and would explain the need for a backup program for travellers.

So, the only people that would have a need for a backup program are people that travel away from home on business, and do not bring a laptop?

That would be a pretty small market, but almost everyone here seems to use one, so I am still missing something.
    Soylent Green Is People

So, the only people that would have a need for a backup program are people that travel away from home on business, and do not bring a laptop?

That would be a pretty small market, but almost everyone here seems to use one, so I am still missing something.
    A hard crash can happen anywhere (travelling, shopping, commuting, etc.). I only sync to my home computer but I've had a hard crash at work. Sure, I could wait until I got home to sync but what if I need my data before that? I don't keep all of my personal information on my work computer.

Another advantage is being able to keep multiple backups. If you demo a lot of software, what happens if you sync something and hose your Treo and the data you've synced to your PC? I often run a backup just prior to a sync for extra protection.

I guess you could say it's like wearing a belt and suspenders, but I look at it like insurance. Some people like having the extra protection for very little extra work or investment. Just my $.02.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    I just purchased BackupMan and I've got two cases where it was better than just hotsyncing.

The first case happened when I had installed a program that my Treo didn't like and it reset and lost all my settings and application registrations. Unfortunatly, I didn't notice the problem before I had hotsynced again. Unfortunatly, because hotsyncing only saves one backup it was too late for me to restore my settings. I had to reconfigure my Treo and my apps manually and that's what convinced me to get BackupMan in the first place.

The second case happened just tonight. I had just left the house and was on my way to dinner with my wife. This time my Treo reset itself out of the blue and again I lost all of my settings and registrations. In this case, though, I had been using BackupMan and I had it set to automatically back up to SD card every night. In this case I was able to restore last nights backup and I was up and running again in less than 5 minutes. Admittedly I could have waited until I got home after dinner and restored with a hotsync, but it would have been a pain to use the treo until thin... and if I was heading away from home to go to work or for a vacation instead of just dinner it would have been even more of a pain.

BackupMan is definitely worth the $10 in my opinion.
    Even in the same city would you rather do a more or less instant restore from your SD card or return home and sync? Without the backup, in some cities with horrid traffic problems you could lose a few hours and even in the best of cases it is simply irritating.

With my Treo I seldom need to carry a laptop when away from the office. On days off I definitely do not. Many of my contacts and a surprising amount of my stored data is not work related but is just as important.

A second backup besides your desktop never hurts either.
    Yes, of course I would need to re-install all data. But, simply doing a sync after a Hard Reset will automatically re-install all my apps./data. So, again what do I need a backup program for, if all it does is exactly the same as what syncing does anyways?

You said "what happens if you are out and need to restore your entire device". That completely makes sense and would explain the need for a backup program for travellers.

Portability it the obvious reason but we text message a lot with our office and sometimes when I go to get a number for a potential client from sms I find them all mysteriously gone.

A hotsync would remove them from the PC as well (not correcting the problem). Being able to restore just that file is a godsend!
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettS
    I just purchased BackupMan and I've got two cases where it was better than just hotsyncing.

The first case happened when I had installed a program that my Treo didn't like and it reset and lost all my settings and application registrations. Unfortunatly, I didn't notice the problem before I had hotsynced again. Unfortunatly, because hotsyncing only saves one backup it was too late for me to restore my settings. I had to reconfigure my Treo and my apps manually and that's what convinced me to get BackupMan in the first place.

The second case happened just tonight. I had just left the house and was on my way to dinner with my wife. This time my Treo reset itself out of the blue and again I lost all of my settings and registrations. In this case, though, I had been using BackupMan and I had it set to automatically back up to SD card every night. In this case I was able to restore last nights backup and I was up and running again in less than 5 minutes. Admittedly I could have waited until I got home after dinner and restored with a hotsync, but it would have been a pain to use the treo until thin... and if I was heading away from home to go to work or for a vacation instead of just dinner it would have been even more of a pain.

BackupMan is definitely worth the $10 in my opinion.
    Your Treo spontaniously Hard Reset? WTF? I think there is something wrong with your Treo.

Everytime I add apps (minimum 5 per day every single day) I test them out right away (or at least before my next sync) so I know if I should re-sync or Hard Reset. But, that does make sense that if you don't notice the problem before your next sync your are S.O.L.

In terms of a Hard Reset while I am out, I can wait a couple hours till I get home to sync. (only once has that happened to me, it was a hassle but a managable one)

I guess I can kind of see the need for a backup program, but it's not worth it for me.

...that being said, I can totally see myself regretting it if I do end up syncing bad data.
    Soylent Green Is People

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Your Treo spontaniously Hard Reset? WTF? I think there is something wrong with your Treo.
    It definitely wasn't a hard reset... all of my apps were still installed and everything, but they all went back into unregistered mode and all my settings such as button assignents and ringers and such were gone. I'm not sure what it was and it has me a bit concerned, but it's only happened those two times... and one was definitely related to a misbehaving app. In any case, I'm very glad I had the backup available and with me.

The other thing that's nice about BackupMan that I didn't mention before is that you can save several backup 'versions' and restore individual files from them. If I made a change to a document or deleted a contact and didn't realize it for a few days and I was relying on hotsync then I'd be out of luck, but with BackupMan I can simply restore the file in question from a few days ago.

I agree that it isn't abolutely necessary, but it's got a lot of nice features that are well worth the $10 registration fee.

Brett
    Quote Originally Posted by Rino808
    hey mcdan can tealbackup, backup more than just one date. with backupbuddy vfs i can only have one backup on my sd card. not like my clie i could have more than one date or day of backup.
    TealBackup backs up everything to a single folder on my SD card. If I want to keep a snapshot, I simply rename the folder and TB will not overwrite it.

True, it doesn't natively support incremental or multiple backups, but it suits my needs.
    I had the same thought process as Chillin with using Hotsync. But the other day while on the road, my phone application locked up and I had to do a hard reset. I had some phone numbers on my Sim Card but lost all of my other information. So I realized I need a SD card back up method. I was thinking of Backupbuddy vfs. I want to be able to use this back-up on the road and use the hotsync in the office. Is this the way to go?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rino808
    with backupbuddy vfs i can only have one backup on my sd card.
    Bzzzzt! The Checkpoint function of BBVFS allows you to keep as many discrete backups as your card will hold.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Yes, restoring is the true test, and I've had most of them fail at a restore... another important feature to me is encryption so God forbid if my card falls into the wrong hands my data's safe....
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    sorry jetkins but is the checkpoint only with the reg version??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast