1.    #1  
    I've yet to figure out how to do this. I've let the treo ask me to add an unknown number to contacts, but what if I want to add it to an existing contact? Doesn't seem to work... (even my old nokia did that!)
    Can't do it...sadly.
    ...and when I have time later I cut/paste into the old one. It's a workaround...
    Exterminate!

Palm Pilot-> Palm Pilot 1MG upgrade-> Palm IIIx-> Visor Deluxe-> Visor Prism-> Clie N610c-> Verizon Kyocera 7135-> Verizon Treo 600-> Sprint Treo 650 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Touch -> Sprint Diamond
    That functionality isn't available.

What I just do (having disabled the "Add to Contacts" dialog altogether) is go to the call log details after the fact and use the "Copy Phone #" button to copy the number into the clipboard. Then I go to the desired contact (or make a new one) and paste it there.
    Unlocked GSM Palm 650.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    You can!

Get a splashscreen from ShadowMite. Mine now asks if I want to store the unknown number, and also displays the length of the call (previously wouldn't). You could also search for the carrier specific versions around here.
    HS visor Deluxe (Blue) & Palm IIIx ► HS visor Prism & visorPhone ►P1 T|T & SE T68i ► Tapwave Zodiac2 & P1 Treo 650 GSM ►Treo 680 unlocked ► Sprint Pre(-)►TouchPad & Sprint FrankenPre2 VZW

I will leave Palm/webOS only after kicking, screaming and wrecking anything on my way out.

- (Sigh)... It died.
    gbobman:

Yes, you can store the unkown number. That's not the issue. The question was "[how do I] add it to an existing contact?" The Treo always creates a new contact for the existing number.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by Verngator
    ...and when I have time later I cut/paste into the old one. It's a workaround...
    Ditto
    Soylent Green Is People

My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
    Quote Originally Posted by Verngator

I have a question about this...Each time I go into the call log and go to details and select copy number, i get a beep (i presume it to be a confirmation beep) and when i go to the contact to add it to, nothing happens when i select paste. Any suggestions as to what i might be doing wrong?

Thanks,

Robert
    Quote Originally Posted by dimensiondvdrob
    I have a question about this...Each time I go into the call log and go to details and select copy number, i get a beep (i presume it to be a confirmation beep) and when i go to the contact to add it to, nothing happens when i select paste. Any suggestions as to what i might be doing wrong?

Thanks,

Robert
    OP was refering to cut 'n pasting from one contact to another, not from the Call Log...

Anyways, can you cut n paste in other apps successfully? I would assume the beep is telling you it is Not copying as mine does not do that (I get the standard button click sound only).
    Soylent Green Is People

c'mon people - you can absolutely do this. I just added an unknown number from my call log, into an existing contact. It for sure can be done. Here's how:

Go to call log.
    Scroll to that unknown number.
    Press 'right' on the nav, to get to 'Details'. Open that entry.
    Scroll with the nav to the right, to get to 'Copy Phone #. Press Center.
    Open your current contact, and paste in that number to wherever it should go.

There ya go. So of course it can be done.

(edit - that's what busyba said above, as well. Guess I just laid it out a little more carefully).
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    c'mon people - you can absolutely do this. I just added an unknown number from my call log, into an existing contact. It for sure can be done. Here's how:

Go to call log.

The OP was looking for something more akin to the functionality of the "add # to contact" dialog box that automatically pops up after the end of a call involving a non-saved number.

That's the thing we're saying isn't available. That function can create a new contact and give it the number, but it can't give that number to a contact already in the database.

The methods described here and elsewhere, however, are an excellent substitute.
    Unlocked GSM Palm 650.
    In case it's of any help, TakePhone for the Treo650 does this. Yes, it does cost money and it has a lot of features (more features than someone that just wants this problem solved might like) but it works extremely well (in my opinion).
    That's right, TP does it extremely well (and I take credit for it... ;-) ) and like he said it's well well worth the money...
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    oops.

Sorry.
    HS visor Deluxe (Blue) & Palm IIIx ► HS visor Prism & visorPhone ►P1 T|T & SE T68i ► Tapwave Zodiac2 & P1 Treo 650 GSM ►Treo 680 unlocked ► Sprint Pre(-)►TouchPad & Sprint FrankenPre2 VZW

I will leave Palm/webOS only after kicking, screaming and wrecking anything on my way out.

- (Sigh)... It died.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser

Go to call log.

(edit - that's what busyba said above, as well. Guess I just laid it out a little more carefully).
    Thanks nrosser! I must have been doing something wrong. I re-tried it and it works perfectly!

Robert
    The "add # to contact" dialog box that automatically pops up after the end of a call involving a non-saved number, is actually quite uselesss. It automatically assumes the number to be a work number, rather than giving the option of selecting the type of number it is.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay
    The "add # to contact" dialog box that automatically pops up after the end of a call involving a non-saved number, is actually quite uselesss. It automatically assumes the number to be a work number, rather than giving the option of selecting the type of number it is.
    I dissagree. I prefer it this way, because when that box comes up I generally don't have time to/want to mess arround with entering contacts. I just want to hit, yes add to contacts, enter a name, and be done with it. Later I can go back and add in/corrrect all the particulars.

Plus, really its only a matter of hitting the drop down menu select "home" and you are done. It is not like you need to re-enter the number to change the type.
    Soylent Green Is People

yea, this is one functionality i miss from my nokia- but i've been living without it since november of 03, so i'm dealing... nokia had a thing where you have an unknown number, hit add to contacts, find the name and then it would ask for the number type.. home, work, cell, fax, other... it was actually really simple. why can't takephone have an option for example- assume a number is [your choice] when you add it... or allow you to make the choice on the fly...
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenundrum
    yea, this is one functionality i miss from my nokia- but i've been living without it since november of 03, so i'm dealing... nokia had a thing where you have an unknown number, hit add to contacts, find the name and then it would ask for the number type.. home, work, cell, fax, other... it was actually really simple. why can't takephone have an option for example- assume a number is [your choice] when you add it... or allow you to make the choice on the fly...
    TakePhone pretty much seems to have the options that you mention, although perhaps they don't work exactly the way you would like them to? Anyway, in case it helps out, this is what I usually do to quickly add a new number to a currently existing contact:

1. after the call ends, I just press the phone button one time and it takes me to Takephone's call log screen.

2. I then (all of this is done with the 5-way) hit the details button (Takephone already has the most recent incoming number highlited).

3. I then select the "save" button.

4. From this screen I can configure the number to be added as a "work,"mobile" etc I can then hit the "add to" button and I can bring up any contact and add the number to that existing contact.

I know this may not be exactly what everyone wants, but it works amazingly well and strikes a decent balance between options/speed while adding in the existing number.