Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just purchased my Treo 650, upgrading from Treo600. Generally I think it's a great device, especially the screen is fabulous!
    However, I found 2 things so far which I think were better before:
    • The calendar week view on the Tre600 was better, because it lets you see the first few letters of each entry. How we just get this ugly boxes, but you have to actually tap on the item to see what they mean. Now it's just as on any ordinary Nokia phone
    • On the Treo600, when on the phone screen, you could press the keyboard keys and be immediately on the contact list, with the name matching your pressed key. this still works, but only for the keys where there is NO NUMBER on it! For number keys, the phone switches to the number entry mode instead. And I didn't find an option to deactivate this

what do you think? do you know any method to overcome the things I mentioned? are the more issues like this?

Greetz
    Urs
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ursli71
    Just purchased my Treo 650, upgrading from Treo600. Generally I think it's a great device, especially the screen is fabulous!
    However, I found 2 things so far which I think were better before:
    • The calendar week view on the Tre600 was better, because it lets you see the first few letters of each entry. How we just get this ugly boxes, but you have to actually tap on the item to see what they mean. Now it's just as on any ordinary Nokia phone
    • On the Treo600, when on the phone screen, you could press the keyboard keys and be immediately on the contact list, with the name matching your pressed key. this still works, but only for the keys where there is NO NUMBER on it! For number keys, the phone switches to the number entry mode instead. And I didn't find an option to deactivate this

what do you think? do you know any method to overcome the things I mentioned? are the more issues like this?

Greetz
    Urs
    Use DateBK for the calendar issue.
    Use TakePhone for your second issue.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by webdave
    Use DateBK for the calendar issue.
    I tried DateBk's WeekView. it is quite nice but not as well integrated as the original (i.e. you can't switch through the views with repeated taps on the Calendar key), and you have to pay $15... whereas it was free before. but thanks for the tip, I guess I will have to live with it for now...
    For your second issue, there is a setting in the general preferences that you can changed fro "Typing dials phone number" to "Typing starts Contacts search"

I guess many people never look into the preferences to see what options are available. I always explore as much as possible, so I know what the device can do.

-Randy
    Quote Originally Posted by zesta
    For your second issue, there is a setting in the general preferences that you can changed fro "Typing dials phone number" to "Typing starts Contacts search"

I guess many people never look into the preferences to see what options are available. I always explore as much as possible, so I know what the device can do.

-Randy

thanks for that tip! Didnt know.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Datebk certainly does let you scroll through calendar views by repeatedly pressing the calendar button. I don't have mine set up that way, but it can be done. In fact, the calendar program on the 600 IS Datebk. A feature limited version of Datebk, but Datebk nonetheless.

If you don't want to spend $15, that's fine, but $15 buys you a tremendous amount of power and customizability (is that a word?).
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Customization??
    I tried DateBk's WeekView. it is quite nice but not as well integrated as the original (i.e. you can't switch through the views with repeated taps on the Calendar key), and you have to pay $15... whereas it was free before. but thanks for the tip, I guess I will have to live with it for now...
    in the preferences of DateBk, there is a VIEWS tab..inside that tab, you'll see towards the middle-bottom of the screen the 4 hard buttons with little arrows pointing down (pull-down menu). for the date book button, you need to set that to 2 so you can push the calendar hard button and scroll thru the various views.

and just like meyerweb says, the $15.00 is a great investment into a great program. i had to pay $25, but to me it's totally worth it. Even worth the price for me when I was already using Agendus and have paid for upgrades each year!
    Callfilter worked. That was definitely better on the 600. There is no equivalent on the 650 at this time.
    Quote:The calendar week view on the Tre600 was better, because it lets you see the first few letters of each entry. How we just get this ugly boxes, but you have to actually tap on the item to see what they mean. Now it's just as on any ordinary Nokia phone End Quote

here's how I view my weekly calendar items, and I can see each entry, separately.

When you're looking at the week, and you see all those various boxes and things that represent meetings, and you see the blue 'active' lines are essentially 'framing' the view of the week, press the center key - that will take the focus from the week as a whole, to each day. You can THEN scroll from day to day, and from meeting to meeting. In other words, using the navigator, you can roll from day to day, and from meeting to meeting WITHIN each day. Once you've landed on a specific meeting, on a specific day, you can then press the Center again, to go to and open THAT specific meeting on THAT specific day.

Also, make sure you're categorizing your events, with color codes - that way, when you're looking at the week (as well as month), you can get a good clue about each day's actions.

I also used Agendus for many years, and liked much of its functions, but I'm seeing the core PIM apps becoming better on the 650. Check out that week view thing and see what you think (if you can understand my cryptic instructions, that is.) Bottom line - you don't have to tap each meeting to see what it is, etc. Just play around with the navigator, and see what you uncover.

Did you also know there's an 'Agenda' view, in the built in calendar function now - ? If you use the right background, it can almost look like the Today-type programs that are out there. AND - if you use the center button of the nav while in the Agenda view, you can open and modify specific events in your calendar.

Play around with it all - there's more capability there than might be obvious....
    No room on my Unlocked Treo 650 for Datebk5. Anyone know when they'll fix the memory problem?
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    sms handling. on the treo 600, I was able to read each sms alert and advance to each following message by clicking the forward or reverse tabs.
    the sms app on the treo 650 lacks these tabs, so you have to exit out of each sms, click on the next message, exit out, click on the sms after that, and so on.
    disappointing that they omitted this small but convenient capability!
    I gotta have more cowbell
    I think the issue is not whether there is a program to do what he is asking, but why it's not native to the treo. You should not have to spend $$ to get the same stuff that is standard on PPCs and other phones. It is very frustated to pay 500$ and then pay at least 100$ for califilter, take phone, datebk5, butler, backup buddy, hacks like treohelper. By now, these options should have been standard. This is why microsoft has cornered the market because if somebody makes a program that makes windows better, then they reverse engineer it and add to the operating system. This is one of the reasons I am on the fence with upgrading my treo 600 to the 650 when verizon comes out with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Kohn
    No room on my Unlocked Treo 650 for Datebk5. Anyone know when they'll fix the memory problem?
    Already done.
    Soylent Green Is People

My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
    The calendar week view on the Tre600 was better, because it lets you see the first few letters of each entry.
    Check this out....I find it prefrebale to anything else I have seen

http://lilredspider.com/TMP/index.html
    I miss being able to use the spacebar to turn on the speakerphone...
    I use TMP as well.
    Give it a go.
    LOL
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    1. Treo600 is by far more stable and had fewer hardware issues than the Treo650. This by the way is after the Firmware UPDATES.

2. Memory issues with the Treo650. Fortunately now resolved via the firmware updates.

3. The audio quality and volume level on the Treo600 was far superior to that of the Treo650. This is specially true for the speakerphone.

4. The Connector on the Treo600 was much better. The Treo650 connector is way too flimsy and definately more prone to damage, specially the power connector. The Treo650 connector does not even have a release button, which means it is definately going to become lose with use.
    By the way I am still trying to figure out what advantage does the new connector have for the Treo as a product or for that matter to us consumers. The advantage to PalmOne is very obvious, they get to sell us all the accessories again.

5. The egg shaped (raised) keys are missing on the Treo650. Pressing the wrong key on the Treo650 is far more common because of this.

6. The seperate Power Off/On button on top is missing on the Treo650.

7. The 5 Way pad on the Treo600 was much better (larger and easier to use), except that the center button was not raised enough in the Treo600.

8. Options in Contacts to display by 'First Name, Last Name' is not available on the Treo650. (This ommission is totally unbelievable, seems PalmOne only wanted to target Americans with the Treo650. I mean come on how difficult could this be.)

9. The home page with the assignable 'Five Way Pad' is also missing on the Treo650. The Treo650 Home page with the assignable 'Five Way Pad' would have been great.

10. The convenient shortcut (Menu then Y) to get to the Call Log, while in the Phone application is missing from the Treo650.

11. The extreme right (Red phone) button is not configurable in the Treo650. What purpose is served by the button doing exactly the smae thing by itself and then also when used with the 'Option' button.

12. The Treo600 was overall much more configurable than the Treo650 is.

13. The Treo600 did not require you to have to open the back to reset it. Considering the number of times the Treo650 needs a reset, it really is a pain.

14. Upon ending an outgoing call the Treo 650 reverts back to whatever screen you started from, rather than going back to the main Phone application page. I personally find this quirk of the Treo 650 very irritating The Treo 600 on the other hand, only did this when your outgoing call was unsuccesfull, which made sense, because it gave you the option to select or dial another number from wherever you intiated the 'unsuccesfull call' from.

Add to the list the other mentioned drawbacks on the Treo650 and one wonders why PalmOne could not have just left 'Well enough alone'. Whatever happened to the age old adage "If it ain't broken, don't fix it"?
    Last edited by Sanjay; 05/05/2005 at 07:06 PM.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    On the Treo600, when on the phone screen, you could press the keyboard keys and be immediately on the contact list, with the name matching your pressed key. this still works, but only for the keys where there is NO NUMBER on it! For number keys, the phone switches to the number entry mode instead. And I didn't find an option to deactivate this
    Are you sure that is how it works? Personally I don't find any difference between the Treo600 and the Treo650 on this issue. They both behave exactly the same way depending on what preference you have selected in 'Display Preferences - Treo600' or 'General Preferences - Treo 650'.
    The 'Two options' available on both Treo 600 & Treo 650 are:
    1. Typing dials phone number.
    2. Typing starts Contacts search.
    Depending on which preference you select, the phone either starts to dial a number or starts a search in Contacts, upon pressing any key. The only difference being that when you have selected 'Typing Dials phone number', the phone does nothing upon pressing the non number keys.

For those of you who may have experience with the 'Treo 180/180g and Treo 270/300', you might remember the great feature that got lost in the transition to the Treo 600. In the 'Treo 180/180g and Treo 270/300', upon pressing the keyboard keys, the phone was able to figure out whether you were making a search in Contacts or you were dialling a number and did the appropriate task automatically. Believe me this feature worked a 100%. I remember being quite peeved about losing this feature when I got my Treo 600.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast