Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Recently incoming calls are going straight to voice mail until I cycle phone power. After a power cycle all is normal for a while.

Anyone have any clues on this one? I show service and signal but can't get calls and there is no way to know if this has happened without trying to call myself from a land line.

Nuts.
    Last edited by Mize; 05/04/2005 at 12:46 PM.
    I've noticed that i sometimes get notified that I have a voicemail (ie: someone just called and i missed it), when the phone has been audible and close by all along. So, maybe it rang quietly...or maybe not. I think I remember from my 600 days that this same problem occured...and it was laid at the feet of Sprint. Supposedly, all Sprint phones have the same sporadic problem. In my case, I will say, I don't need to reboot. I miss calls, I get calls, no rhyme or reason.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    It may have to do with an active data connection. If the phone is actively transferring data or doing a Hotsync, then the calls will go to voicemail.

Joe
    All of my Sprint phones have behaved this way on occasion
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    No. I had this happen when auto-retrieve in Snapper was off (as it is in Vmail) so there should be no automated connection. It stayed like this for quite some time (40 minutes?) until I cycled phone power. Then all was well.

Cingular in Cincinnati, btw.
    I've been told by a source whom I trust very much that the problems are due to the ongoing work to merge the Cingular and AT&T networks. This seems to be backed up by the fact that everyone at my office who has Cingular phones, whether or not they are Treos, has experienced this problem where they mysteriously lose all signals, even in areas where it should be strong. The only way this is remedied is by completely powering down the phone, waiting 10 to 15 seconds, and then repowering the phone. As a matter of fact, one of my coworkers was told by Cingular Tech Support that this should be done at least once a week. I don't follow the once a week rule, but doing a hard reset of my Treo, as described above, whenever signal can't be retrieved, has worked every time.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    A *hard* reset? I simply cycle the phone power...is this what you mean?

The problem with this "right to voicemail" thing is that I have no idea when it's happening.

I want the GSM/GPRS service I had in Spain last week - fast, fully covered strong signal everywhere!
    Tmobile 600 user has had the same problem and it SEEMS that it is tied to call volume. Noon and 4PM central, 5PM central etc.
    John
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    huh?
    Sorry for confusion. I am a low tech, TMobile, central time zone, T600 user and occasionally my incoming calls go strraight to VM without ringing. The only common thread I can find is that this most often occurs at 4PM Central time(5PM Eastern-I don't know I am just trying to figure it out too) and at 5PM central. It also occurs just before and after noon Central. I have no idea about east coast usage having an effect here but that is when it occurs.....go figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by galingula
    All of my Sprint phones have behaved this way on occasion
    Same here, especially the Treo!
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize
    A *hard* reset? I simply cycle the phone power...is this what you mean?

The problem with this "right to voicemail" thing is that I have no idea when it's happening.

I want the GSM/GPRS service I had in Spain last week - fast, fully covered strong signal everywhere!
    What I mean is that I can't just turn the phone part off. I have to actually remove the battery, wait a few seconds, then replace the battery. However, maybe I am doing too much. Perhaps I just need to turn the phone partn off for more than a minute or two before turning back on.
    I have Sprint and this happens to me if I am in the Verichat application (I use data as always-on).

When not in data, then most of the time the ring comes thru predicatbly.
    Quote Originally Posted by quake97
    It may have to do with an active data connection. If the phone is actively transferring data or doing a Hotsync, then the calls will go to voicemail.
    While that appears to be the case for all CDMA 650's (Sprint & Verizon), it is not true for all GSM 650's. While some GSM folks report that data activity ties up the line and results in calls going to VM, many of us (myself included) experience just the opposite, where incoming calls are received just fine even when the phone is actively pulling data. I suspect that this may depend on whether the data connection is plain GPRS or EDGE.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro