1.    #1  
    Having a thumb keyboard is new for me, coming from PPCs. I often feel like I'm going to drop my 650 as my thumbs are wearing the letters off of the keyboard keys. There's not much to hold on to.

Typing is fine but the thing is so tiny that I feel like I don't have a really good grip on it.

If you flip it over, as though the keyboard was on top and the screen in between your palms, it feels much more natural and doesn't obscure the screen at all.

Just sayin'
    Typing on tiny keys is hard enough - you can do it upside down/backwards? That is talent...
    Flip it over as in upside down?
    Try it with your eyes closed to test your memory.
  5.    #5  
    Top side down. Where the antenna is pointing down, at a place I don't want other men looking at.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Try your toes --- now that's hard!!!
    Turning the Treo upside down to type clearly is awkward, because the keyboard ends up upside down and backward, too.

But I think the point Galingula was making is that if the Treo were designed that way, with the keyboard above the screen, it would be easier to hold and type on. And he's right, as far as that goes. But I think a user's hands would tend to block the screen, especially if he has large hands.

I think you'll get used to typing on the Treo. I hold it on the sides/back with my fingers spread out so that my index fingers are actually more than 3/4 of the way up, and touching the sides of the Treo. My right pinkie cradles the bottom of the phone (not the back, the bottom, where the cable connects). And the rest of my fingers are holding the back. It's actually pretty secure. I've never dropped the Treo while typing.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Turning the Treo upside down to type clearly is awkward, because the keyboard ends up upside down and backward, too.

But I think the point Galingula was making is that if the Treo were designed that way, with the keyboard above the screen, it would be easier to hold and type on. And he's right, as far as that goes. But I think a user's hands would tend to block the screen, especially if he has large hands.

I think you'll get used to typing on the Treo. I hold it on the sides/back with my fingers spread out so that my index fingers are actually more than 3/4 of the way up, and touching the sides of the Treo. My right pinkie cradles the bottom of the phone (not the back, the bottom, where the cable connects). And the rest of my fingers are holding the back. It's actually pretty secure. I've never dropped the Treo while typing.
    I'll tell you...It's a LOT more secure than typing on the new 7100t Blackberrys or the older Sony Clie NX Series of handhelds.

I love typing on the treo!
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimensiondvdrob
    I love typing on the treo!
    What I hate about the treo keyboard is the rounded keys. I tend to type with my thumbnails (because my thumbs usually hit more than one key) and if I'm not careful my thumbnail slides off the key because of the hump. I wonder if making the keys concave would improve things. The only thing I'd worry about if they did that is that the high spots on neighboring keys would be closer to each other and it might be easier to hit two keys by mistake.

Brett
  10.    #10  
    I think it would be nice to have pits in the keys as well, for the stylus. On the rare occasions when you've actually got the stylus out, it'd be nice to be able to press a few keys without switching to "typing with thumbs" mode
    As far as grip...that can be modified with a good leather case (like Krusell) or with E-Grips. That way it won't feel so slippery and you won't have to type upside-down :-)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

What a freaking box of rocks you guys are...

He's just saying that it might make more sense designing this phone with the keyboard on the top... and you know what?

I agree with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by docmaster
    What a freaking box of rocks you guys are...

He's just saying that it might make more sense designing this phone with the keyboard on the top... and you know what?

I agree with him.
    Yeah!

I really enjoy my palm covering half of the screen while trying to navigate one handed with the 5-way also.
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    Yeah!

I really enjoy my palm covering half of the screen while trying to navigate one handed with the 5-way also.
    I didn't say put all the buttons up there, did I?... and neither did our friend up top there.

No, the short cut buttons would belong near the bottom of the unit, close to where they are now.

shmart axe.
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    As far as grip...that can be modified with a good leather case (like Krusell) or with E-Grips. That way it won't feel so slippery and you won't have to type upside-down :-)
    I've got a premium leather case...

I am an amateur "slight of hand" magician and I maintain...

the keyboard belongs at the top... not all the buttons, just the keyboard.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I thought this about my 600. Having the screen on the bottom would also reduce face oil and when you hold the phone between two hands, you block the screen from prying eyes. Cool idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by treodaily
    I thought this about my 600. Having the screen on the bottom would also reduce face oil and when you hold the phone between two hands, you block the screen from prying eyes. Cool idea.
    Good point on the face oil thing... excellent point.