1.    #1  
    In another thread about streaming music, Clarence got me all miffed that i couldnt use something as simple as WWWinamp to change my songs due to the fact that I use a mac. Previously I was using NiceCast to stream whatever was playing on iTunes and logging into my computer via VNC to change the songs. Yes, it's slow, but it works. But there is hope for us apple eaters:

AccessTunes lets you do exactly what wwwinamp does (logging into a webpage and picking songs from a list and having itunes change and play tracks/playlists/etc.). Another added bonus is that accesstunes lets you play the files directly in your browser or create an m3u file to launch the appropriate app. (i have not tested either of these methods on my 650 yet, but keep reading to see how i do it). But unlike wwwinamp, and very much like mac-specific programs, it does the job much cleaner/user friendly and definitely prettier.

aka THIS as opposed to THAT

the way i do it, is just have nicecast take whatever is playing in itunes and throw it out onto the web as a stream. Then if the fancy strikes me, i log into my accesstunes page via my web broswer and change songs or playlists. The only downside is there a noticable lag (10 seconds) between when you hit change and when it actually changes the track playing in itunes.

There is a downside though: NiceCast is $40. and Accesstunes is $15. But if you can get your web browser to play a specific playlist, then you can get away with just paying for accesstunes and ditching nicecast all together.

Unfortunately though, our PC ******* step-children get their personal streams for free. That is the only downside. but the upside is of course, i'm running a powerbook thats crashed maybe 2 times in as many years and has never been subjected to any viruses of any sort, i dont even have a virus protection app on my comp. and lastely, everything just looks oh so much nicer when its made for mac.

If you consider that most of us buy large and expensive ($180+ for a 2 gig) sd cards to put a measely few hundred on our treo's, the price is actually a lot cheaper to stream it all and have access at your fingertips as long as you have an internet connection.

Let me know what your guys' experiences are. I'm always up for changing to something better and more efficient.
    Last edited by disenchanted; 05/04/2005 at 05:49 AM.
    Hrrmmm... Looks like some good research for myself. Thanks for the info.

-CK
    Quote Originally Posted by disenchanted
    In another thread about streaming music, Clarence got me all miffed that i couldnt use something as simple as WWWinamp to change my songs due to the fact that I use a mac. Previously I was using NiceCast to stream whatever was playing on iTunes and logging into my computer via VNC to change the songs. Yes, it's slow, but it works. But there is hope for us apple eaters:

AccessTunes lets you do exactly what wwwinamp does (logging into a webpage and picking songs from a list and having itunes change and play tracks/playlists/etc.). Another added bonus is that accesstunes lets you play the files directly in your browser or create an m3u file to launch the appropriate app. (i have not tested either of these methods on my 650 yet, but keep reading to see how i do it). But unlike wwwinamp, and very much like mac-specific programs, it does the job much cleaner/user friendly and definitely prettier.

aka THIS as opposed to THAT

the way i do it, is just have nicecast take whatever is playing in itunes and throw it out onto the web as a stream. Then if the fancy strikes me, i log into my accesstunes page via my web broswer and change songs or playlists. The only downside is there a noticable lag (10 seconds) between when you hit change and when it actually changes the track playing in itunes.

There is a downside though: NiceCast is $40. and Accesstunes is $15. But if you can get your web browser to play a specific playlist, then you can get away with just paying for accesstunes and ditching nicecast all together.

Unfortunately though, our PC ******* step-children get their personal streams for free. That is the only downside. but the upside is of course, i'm running a powerbook thats crashed maybe 2 times in as many years and has never been subjected to any viruses of any sort, i dont even have a virus protection app on my comp. and lastely, everything just looks oh so much nicer when its made for mac.

If you consider that most of us buy large and expensive ($180+ for a 2 gig) sd cards to put a measely few hundred on our treo's, the price is actually a lot cheaper to stream it all and have access at your fingertips as long as you have an internet connection.

Let me know what your guys' experiences are. I'm always up for changing to something better and more efficient.

great post. thanks.

I had a problem with port forwarding on a Westell versalink 327w when i checked out nicecast. i was putting off getting to the bottom of it and even went to portwarding.com where i followed directions for port forwarding but I was not able to remotely connect to my stream.

I love the idea of "Accesstunes" and will gladly pay the $15.00.
    what did you mean by

" But if you can get your web browser to play a specific playlist, then you can get away with just paying for accesstunes and ditching nicecast all together."

Thanks

Mike
    Are you familiar with

Mt-daapd and daapd?

and MP3 Sushi?

Thanks

Mike