Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Cingular's Edge network tops out at about 120kbps. Not even close to Verizon. What will be fast is UMTS, which is around 384kbps. T-Mobile's GPRS is only 28 to 40kbps, and using Edge makes it feel very slow.

So Verizon right now has the fastest data network, but... it's $80/month, which is a ridiculous amount for wireless data.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmike
    Gave up on Verizon, and switched to Cingular yesterday to get a '650. Today I got two calls from Verizon telling me they will have them starting May 23!

Anyway, I want to make significant use of connecting my notebook to the internet through the phone. Bought unlimited data plan ($45/mo), then read the threads about need to purchase 3rd party SW. Downloaded PDANet demo; installation is no problem. Checked a site that measures data rate, and got 40K with BT, 50K wired. Have all but one bar on signal strength.

Is this "it"? What's all this stuff about EDGE? Thought it competes with EVDO. Is there something waiting for me to first get unlocked, or is 50K about all I should ever expect?

Hoping for better,
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum
    Cingular's Edge network tops out at about 120kbps. Not even close to Verizon. What will be fast is UMTS, which is around 384kbps. T-Mobile's GPRS is only 28 to 40kbps, and using Edge makes it feel very slow.

So Verizon right now has the fastest data network, but... it's $80/month, which is a ridiculous amount for wireless data.
    Verizon's data rate is only the fastest if:

1. You have an EVDO capable device, which the Treo 650 is NOT, AND
    2. You are in one of the handful of metro areas where Verizon has deployed EVDO.

Otherwise, Verizon's 1xRTT is about the same as Sprint's, which is about the same as Cingular's EDGE.
    What I have yet to hear in this 2 page thread is:

Sprint's Vision service is $15 unlimited! Which includes Picture Pack & Video mail!! Also what is better than that? You working for UPS or Boeing or Bank of America corporate... Then you would be paying $11.25 for all the above granted you get 25% off each month! So might want to think about asking if your company gets a discount...

I connect with my new Data card from Sprint which is EVDO compatible. When in the beggining of July they role out EVDO for Sprint PCS... I didn't say that...SHHHhhhh... This card Sprint Aircard 580 in my laptop @ 233.20-278.04(burst)Kbs... Which is awesome! And keep in mind, again get a monthly discount on that also! LOL...

Take care everybody! Just shinning some light into those that have not or were not informed about Sprint's NVP discounts!!

- Jim R.
    --------------
    I do not speak for Sprint PCS, I am just a measly Tech...
  4.    #24  
    Didn't know I'd generate such interest! If I could return to the basics: Masters mentioned I must have got the PDA Unlimited plan, and a suggestion to switch. Was the intent to get unlimited for $25, or is there a different data plan that has better thoughput?

I have measured using http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/ and with full bars still only see about 50K. I keep thinking that the issue isn't radio / connection but either a setup issue at my end or using the wrong plan / software. I am in Santa Clara, CA, which should be surrounded by EDGE. I am using PDANet to a notebook.

Still confused,

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum

I get better than that on blazer and it's not hard to get 200 or better with ftp downloads. The critical point in "routine" smart phone communiucation is data speed means squat when you are sending little tiny e-mails and looking at PDA web pages.....put a Sprint and Cingular Treo side by side and Sprint will kick **** on the real short stuff....up to say 80 kb in size...and cingular will start to take aver on chunks above that. The only people who will feel a difference will be those DUN'ing to a laptop and taking down 1 MB, 2 MB, 5 MB etc. files.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1772852,00.asp

"EDGE is available on phones and PC Cards. On phones, you can't really tell the difference between it and GPRS, because pictures and games are still so small. As multimegapixel camera phones and larger games become available, the speediness of EDGE will really start to shine.

EDGE's speed is more obvious when you use your phone as a modem for your PDA or laptop. Cingular allows you to connect all of its EDGE-capable phones to PCs using Bluetooth or a USB cable; you can also do this with the Cingular UMTS network, but not with Verizon EV-DO. The hookup can be tricky, depending on the phone model.

And though Class 10's theoretical maximum speed is 236 Kbps, we maxed out at 220 Kbps during testing. That's more than three times as fast as dial-up, but still much slower than cable, DSL, or EV-DO."

Verizon on smart phone is $45 a month....at elast it was last month.....the PC Card is up around $80.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1772851,00.asp

"As for service plans, Verizon has very few options. The BroadbandAccess plan for PC Cards is a pricey $79.99 per month, but it's very easy to use—just pop a PC Card into your laptop. The PC Cards sell for as little as $49 with a two-year contract.

BroadbandAccess for PDAs makes you pay more up front for an expensive PDA/ phone, but costs less monthly. It currently works solely with the $549 Audiovox XV6600 PDA/phone. For $45 a month, you get unlimited Internet on your PDA or laptop, using the XV6600 as a Bluetooth or USB modem. There's one big catch: Bluetooth speeds seem to be capped around 400 Kbps, and the USB function isn't supported, so you must configure the USB modem based on hobbyist Web sites if you want a faster connection than Bluetooth offers."

UMTS will start out at 384 (theoretical) but will just almost double once the HSDPA software isadded. Nether is an issue as no current Treo has either one.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1772849,00.asp

"UMTS has a maximum theoretical download speed of 384 Kbps, but we didn't get anything approaching that on our San Francisco and Dallas tests..... we topped out at 299 Kbps—not much faster than EDGE. And upload speeds were especially disappointing, averaging 54 Kbps, very similar to our EDGE devices.

Cingular is aware it needs to boost UMTS's verve, so it's already working on an upgrade, HSDPA. HSDPA is a software upgrade to UMTS that uses more advanced coding techniques to achieve average data speeds of up to 700 Kbps. (In theory, HSDPA can zip along at up to 14 Mbps, but that depends on network configuration.) Cingular says it will roll this out in 2006. T-Mobile has also said it will upgrade to UMTS/HSDPA, perhaps by 2007."
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Souren
    I'm using an Unbranded Treo 650 on Tmobile in NW Florida, both me and my coworker both get between 229-309kbps on dslreports, also my boss gets about the same with his Treo 600. The only thing is we only get those rates when using Xiino, when using Blazer the most I've seen is around 40kbps. I'm going to try the DUN with bluetooth to my computer and test using that and see what the speed is.
    I've never used my T650 as a modem, though it is unlocked and i could, but I will say the speeds attainable with Xiino are much, much faster than with Blazer. I am amazed at how fast the Treo can download screens using Xiino, it actually makes the web experience pleasant and useable. I don't knonw what is wrong with Blazer, but it is very, very slow. Xiino wasn't nearly this fast on the Treo600, so EDGE must be working to some extent. Cingular tells me EDGE isn't actually fully implemented yet, just parts of it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12