1.    #1  
    Hi guys,

My Cingular GSM Treo 650 Will be here monday, What should I do to it right away? As far as updates and fixes? I know of the following problems:

Earpiece volume is too quiet
    Treo resets constantly
    Can't use bluetooth to share an internet connection with a PC

What am I missing? Also which of these are there fixes for?

Oh and what bluetooth headset and case does everyone reccomend? I have a Motorola HS-820, should I bother buying a different one?

Thanks,
    Jeremy
    Check your phone to see if it already has the first Cingular update firmware, I think 1.15. If it still says 1.02 or something like that, go to Palm and get the Cingular VM update. Also, another update is supposed to be out soon for the Cingular 650.

For headsets, there are long discussions under the BT thread. I think I would use the Treo 650 headset(re-branded from Jabra), but everyone's opinion is different on this. I had to read a lot to figure out which one I might want to use. The one you have may be just fine. Search under the BT thread.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    If you previously had a treo600 or any other palm: do not just sync everything over, this is often what causes the resets that people have. Unfortunately, you should reinstall your applications (onto the T650) from scratch. The exceptions to this are your address, date book, tasks, and memo files. You can install (move them from the 600 to the 650) those files onto the 650 with no adverse consequences.

Also, install any firmware upgrades etc before you do the above.
    The cardo Scala 500 is the highest rated BT earpiece (on treocentral) and it's also the cheapest. I use it and have to volume issues, infact, it's usually too loud and I have to turn it down.
    Read Message 3 in this thread:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...d=1#post650232

-Earpiece volume was an issue on Sprint phones since fixed by an update.
    -95% of people don't have reset issues....avoid problem programs and don't install 78 programs 1st day and you should befine.

-Bluetooth DUN can be turned on either thru the shadowmite solution or the alternate posted here on TC....do a titles only search on "DUN Shadowmite" and you should find links to both.

-It seems the overwhelming favorite of late is the Treo Wireless Headset with the Jabra eargels (pick these up at Radio Shack).

http://store.treocentral.com/content...11-31--241.htm
    I second that suggestion about NOT moving syncing data and apps from an older Palm device- I learned that first hand- reset city! A hard reset and going easy on installing apps solved many of the initial problems.
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    Quote Originally Posted by kaljer
    Hi guys,

My Cingular GSM Treo 650 Will be here monday, What should I do to it right away?

Thanks,
    Jeremy
    Just Enjoy It!!
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    I had synced to my older T|T1 profile, and it wouldn't even turn on! It reset and died for about a day. I had to remove/reinsert my battery about 150 times to revive it. USE A NEW PROFILE, OR REMOVE IT FROM YOUR PC if you are going to use the same name.

No updates should be available for Cingular. Buy a case and screen protector. A crappy screen protector comes with it (look in your manual package), but the case should be first (unless you like scratches).

Boxwave has a nice combo of cable, case, and screen protector for $50.02 .
    HS visor Deluxe (Blue) & Palm IIIx ► HS visor Prism & visorPhone ►P1 T|T & SE T68i ► Tapwave Zodiac2 & P1 Treo 650 GSM ►Treo 680 unlocked ► Sprint Pre(-)►TouchPad & Sprint FrankenPre2 VZW

I will leave Palm/webOS only after kicking, screaming and wrecking anything on my way out.

- (Sigh)... It died.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbobman
    Boxwave has a nice combo of cable, case, and screen protector for $50.02 .
    Here's a link for the combination gbobman was referring to: FlexiSkin Starter Kit for Treo 650

And to add to gbobman's recommendation, here's a link to the all Treo 650 accessories: http://www.boxwave.com/products/easy...eo-650_442.htm

Feel free to PM me with any questions about any of these products.

Cheers,
    Cho
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Do I get my referal fee now?

(Just kidding)
    HS visor Deluxe (Blue) & Palm IIIx ► HS visor Prism & visorPhone ►P1 T|T & SE T68i ► Tapwave Zodiac2 & P1 Treo 650 GSM ►Treo 680 unlocked ► Sprint Pre(-)►TouchPad & Sprint FrankenPre2 VZW

I will leave Palm/webOS only after kicking, screaming and wrecking anything on my way out.

- (Sigh)... It died.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbobman
    Do I get my referal fee now?

(Just kidding)

HAHA, how about a THANK YOU instead?
    If your phone has constant resets return it for a new one. I wasted two weeks thinking I had software problems, but a new phone solved every issue.
    Definitely read the manual multiple times. I think you should use the device just as it comes and get to know it over the course of a week before you decide you need additional applications. That way you'll have a better idea of what you might want and you can probably save some money.

Tom
  14.    #14  
    Ok.....so there is nothing I can do about fixing the low volume, or the resets or any of the common problems?
    Be careful what software you put on it, sometimes that's what causes the resets. Low volume is usually fixed in those firmware updates.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I gotta say, I went straight to the 1.23 firmware update (available from links in this site) and synced from my 600 no problems! I'm not running anything special, Zagat to Go, Michelin Guide, Versamail and other standrard apps. So far no problems at all. Zero! Though the speaker phone and volume generally is too low. Other than that, all is well.
    Remember too that "low volume" is entirely relative! Some people hear very well, others don't, and environmental noise is also a factor.

Try it for yourself and see if it works for you in YOUR situation. This is one case where other people's experiences are little help to you.

But, yeah, add latest firmware (not beta!) if you don't have it.

Tom
  18.    #18  
    As I'm told the latest firmware is for the unlocked 650, should I be loading that on my Cingular 650? Also if I decide to resell it, can I load the cingular firmware back on?

Thanks,
    Jeremy