Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeProcter
    Are you able to use this?

Unless I'm doing something realy silly, the program starts, but there is no commands visible at the bottom of the screen, and I can't voice dial any of my contacts.

Help!
    After I installed the update I experienced the same thing. My solution was to slap myself upside the head. Took my son to moves that afternoon, turned of sound and forgot to turn it back on.....it would be nice if you could just turn the ringer off not all sounds.....I was wondering why it didn't wake me up that morning !

So, assuming you didn't make the sam emistake I did, do you hear anything when you hold down the side button and the program starts ? Wjen I do that the Treo says "Say a command" and says at the bottom:

"Call Name ?"
    Call Number ?"

with a settings button and a repeat button.
    What I'm wondering is why was this software posted on P1's site with the Support Downloads???

It is the only piece of SHAREWARE at: http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do...s/treo650.html

Support downloads are supposed to be fixes and patches that usually are free of charge because they fix bugs or are updates everyone should have.

I feel P1 misrepresented this Voice Dialing package. It really is nothing more than another software package that belongs in the P1 online store. Not the support downloads.

I'm thinking P1 probably saw all the traffic on their support downloads page (because people are waiting for the official GSM update) and P1 is trying to leverage that traffic for some sales. To me that is a little underhanded.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    What I'm wondering is why was this software posted on P1's site with the Support Downloads???

It is the only piece of SHAREWARE at: http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do...s/treo650.html

Support downloads are supposed to be fixes and patches that usually are free of charge because they fix bugs or are updates everyone should have.

I feel P1 misrepresented this Voice Dialing package. It really is nothing more than another software package that belongs in the P1 online store. Not the support downloads.

I'm thinking P1 probably saw all the traffic on their support downloads page (because people are waiting for the official GSM update) and P1 is trying to leverage that traffic for some sales. To me that is a little underhanded.
    Maybe.
    The software is functional without registering though. ie. no nag screen. I think they were only able to negotiate a bulk liscense for the number dialing with the distributor.
    For voice dialing software a "nag screen" would pretty much make it useless during the trial period. But I'm sure like other shareware after day 14 it no longer works. There is plenty of shareware without a nag screen that just dies after the trial period runs out.

If they had to get a licensing deal it belongs in the online store with all the other software that requires a license IMHO.
    For voice dialing software a "nag screen" would pretty much make it useless during the trial period. But I'm sure like other shareware after day 14 it no longer works. There is plenty of shareware without a nag screen that just dies after the trial period runs out.

If they had to get a licensing deal it belongs in the online store with all the other software that requires a license IMHO.
    The same argument could be made about Docs To Go. The only difference is you don't even get a period to try out the Pro features. Perhaps they should have labled Voicedial as two different versions. Pro and basic.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Didn't you get a purchase receipt or authorization via e-mail. I also signed up via the Treo and got th following e-mail:

THIS MESSAGE IS FROM AN UNATTENDED MAILBOX - PLEASE DO NOT REPLY.

Thank you for your order! Save this email for your records, as it contains important purchase information. If you need assistance, please see below.
    *************************************he

DOWNLOADABLE SOFTWARE PURCHASE

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    PRODUCT: ****** - Treo Voice Dialing
    QUANTITY: 1
    PRICE: $19.99

PRODUCT SUPPORT: palmone@palmone.com

Registration Key: *****
    Registration Note: Once you have downloaded and installed your software, use the registration key above to unlock the full version of the software.

NOTE: Check for an important note from the developer of Treo Voice Dialing below this section.

DEVELOPER MESSAGE

Developer of Treo Voice Dialing:
    Thank you for your purchase. If you have your Treo 650 repaired or replaced and need a new registration key to unlock the Voice Dial application, simply email: treovoicedial@handango.com with the reference number included in this message. At no cost to you, you will then be eligible to reregister the application.
    -------------------------------------

CUSTOMER SUPPORT

When contacting Handango Customer Support regarding this order, always use this Reference Number: *******

To download your software again, use your Reference Number in the subject line of this email and email address you used to complete your order at http://software.palmone.com/MyLogin....version=010022

Main Help: http://www.handango.com/CustomerSupport.jsp?siteId=1

Returns/Refunds: http://software.palmone.com/ReturnPo...*******=010022

Handango Customer Support: http://software.palmone.com/Customer...******n=010022

Handango Customer Support Fax Line: 817-548-2182
    International Customer Fax Line: +1-817-548-2182

BILLING INFORMATION
    Purchase Subtotal: $19.99
    Total: $19.99

Billed to: N/A N/A

, US
    Phone:
    Email: **********************

Thanks again for your order!

Handango
    IF I did, and I admit NOTHING , someone, NOT ME must have deleted it. *****.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    The same argument could be made about Docs To Go. The only difference is you don't even get a period to try out the Pro features. Perhaps they should have labled Voicedial as two different versions. Pro and basic.
    I do not think the same argument could be made about Docs To Go.. With Docs To Go you have basic functionality all the time. It does not cut off after 14 days. Then if you want more features you can pay for them. But its not like the Pro version is listed as a support download.

If a basic version of Voicedial were free on the support downloads page. A basic version that did not cut off after 14 days with an option to upgrade to a pro version that would be a bit more understandable.

But P1 is using their support page as a new marketing tool.

What's next, will they put a tool like BackupBuddy on their support page with the same 14 day clause too? A better agrument could be made that a backup tool is a "support" utility than a voice dialer. Any fee based utility could be deemed a "support" download using this logic. Support downloads from most any other vendor are free tools/updates for legit owners of a device. P1 is expanding the definition of a "support" download to turn the support pages into a new marketing tool.
    It doesn't work with bluetooth, I won't give this app the time of day.

That's one of the only things I miss from my Moto v710, the voice recognition on that phone was amazing, and it worked flawlessly with a BT headset. You could be in another room and press the button on the headset to either dial a contact or say the numbers to dial. That was sweet, real sweet.
    1 | 2
    Quote Originally Posted by MFizzel
    It doesn't work with bluetooth, I won't give this app the time of day.
    I have to agree. What's the point of offering this FEE BASED add on when everyone is moving to BT headsets?

It's really laughable to me!
    What I'm wondering is why was this software posted on P1's site with the Support Downloads.....I'm thinking P1 probably saw all the traffic on their support downloads page (because people are waiting for the official GSM update) and P1 is trying to leverage that traffic for some sales. To me that is a little underhanded.
    My thinking is:

1. The about box on the Hep \ About page of the app says..."for support go to www.palmone.com/support"
    2. Because it came on the CD with the Treo
    3. Isn' this thing ONLY available thru PalmOne and nowhere else ? VoiceSignal made this for PalmOne. Where else would people go for an update ?
    4. People have been asking for an update.
    You know, you can use a bluetooth headset with Voice Dial, you press the side button to activate voice dial say your contact name and it dials, it then automatically connects to your blue tooth headset, once the call is dialing.

If you say the name the microphone on the treo 650 will pick up the sounds even if it isn't up to your mouth.

Gotta use creativity some.
    Palm Professional -> Palm III-> Sprint Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Sprint Handspring Treo 300 -> Sprint Handspring Treo 600 -> Sprint Treo 650 -> Sprint Treo 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    3. Isn' this thing ONLY available thru PalmOne and nowhere else ? VoiceSignal made this for PalmOne. Where else would people go for an update ?
    How about them puting this in the PalmOne Online Software Store? Where all the other software is sold. So what if it came on their install CD. It is just another piece of shareware which is sold seperately via P1. Just like everything else they sell. They are simply leveraging the T650 support pages for a little extra income.

Maybe this is why they are starting to use tactics like this.

Following a surge of PDA sales due to advancing wireless networking capabilities, Research In Motion's BlackBerry device has become the world's most popular PDA, according to research firm Gartner.

Up 76 percent in the first quarter this year, RIM took the top spot away from rival palmOne, which slipped to No. 2 among falling shipment rates of 26 percent. Now with a combined market share of 20.8 percent, RIM leads the PDA industry followed by palmOne with 18 percent and HP with 17.6 percent.
    People have asked for all kinds of things from P1. That does not mean it constitutes a "support" update.

P1 has a software support page for applications. This Voice Dialing update would have even been a better fit there for people that used that application and wanted the update. Not the T650 support download page. The Voice Dial update is not free and Voice Dial is not built into the native (or update patched) ROM of the T650. So it is not a T650 support update. Just a software application update.

WHEATHIN - What brand/model of BT headset have you used Voice Dial with?
    Last edited by darnell; 05/06/2005 at 02:46 PM.
  13.    #33  
    Are you talking about the same app? I know there's another out there with an almost identical name. The one supported by Palm1 works great for me. Probably one wrong entry in the past 100 attempts. I can live with that level of accuracy.
    I get about the same accuracy as Jazzi. From reading these threads, there are by far more people who think it works great. I did turn off the confirmation and that seemed to make things even better.
    "INSUFFICIENT MEMORY"

Voice Dial requires at least 2 MB pf dynamic memory.

Says this when i launch the application. ???
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by question
    "INSUFFICIENT MEMORY"

Voice Dial requires at least 2 MB pf dynamic memory.

Says this when i launch the application. ???
    Palm1 Website on Insufficient Memory using Voice Dial

'Insufficient Memory - Voice Dial requires at least 2MB of dynamic memory.'

This article concerns the Treo Voice Dialing application available on our website: Treo Voice Dialing download page.

Error Message: 'Insufficient Memory - Voice Dial requires at least 2MB of dynamic memory.'
    This error message can occur if you have Treo Voice Dialing installed on a device that also has the third-party application GoodLink installed (GoodLink website).

Treo Voice Dialing is not compatible with GoodLink, and in fact you cannot have both installed on the same device concurrently.

Why? GoodLink and Treo Voice Dialing both require a large amount of dynamic (heap) memory. If both are installed, together they require so much heap memory that the system becomes unstable. Instead of crashing your device, Treo Voice Dialing simply displays the error message and allows you to exit the application.

What should I do?
    Because Treo Voice Dialing will not work at all on a device with GoodLink installed, we recommend you delete Treo Voice Dialing from your smartphone. Knowledge Library article 5417 tells you how to delete applications from your device.
    I'm interested in purchasing this Voice Dial, but want to know if there is any other way besides direct download from my Treo. I don't have a data plan, since I don't have the need at present. I'm assuming if I registered via direct download, I'd be charged at the flat data rate, so I'd rather purchase it the usual way. I e-mailed Palmone with no response and the info page is no help either. Anyone have input? Thanks.
    Download it from here
    http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do...cedialing.html

Getting the registration code doesn't take that many bytes (I think it is via SMS .. I forget).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    thanks aprasad:
    I already have it downloaded, and I'm in the trial period. When I went to register, it told me I had to go on to the internet in order to complete the request. So that's what makes me figure it must be using data. If it is just using SMS, that's basically text messaging, right? I wouldn't care about that, but I've had issues in the past with erroneous data usage charges when I never have used any, and it's been like 2 hour calls to customer service to have the charges removed. So I really don't want to engage any data transmission unless I eventually sign up for a plan. So is actually sending in registration info going to use data?
    You can purchase it via Palmone's or VoiceSignal's website (using your PC). I purchased it from P1's site.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast