Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Ok, I waited so long for the Treo 650 cradles, and finally they are available. But what? No headphone jacks on ANY of them? WHY!? I would think that at least the Palm OEM ones would have them. Give me a break! So I had no choice but to add one myself. I thought I would share the little project with you all.

It's easy if you're good at soldering. It's quite difficult if you're not. Go find a geeky friend to do it for ya! I bought a cheapo cradle off eBay for $30 (ok it wasn't that cheap but this one included a car charger too). It's a generic one made in China. I bought a 3.5mm stereo headphone jack from Radio Shack (Cat #274-246A). You'll also need some wires and solder, and a drill for the hole.

I found that the audio pins on the Palm data/cable connector are #11 (spkr_l) #12 (spkr_r) and #13 (analog ground). Simply solder the wires from those 3 pins to your Radio Shack phone jack. You can start counting pins starting from the side of where the power jack is located. In other words, Pin#1 is pin on the connector closest to the power pins. Soldering is the hardest part - the pins are real small, be very careful not to accidentally short two of them together.

Drill/dremel a hole into the back of the cradle. For this phone jack, I used a 3/16" drill bit. Push the jack in place in the hole, and secure it.

That's all! Works like a charm.

I took some pics, sorry they're so blurry. My only camera is the lousy 0.3 megapixel Treo!

I do wish someone would smarten up and include the headphone jack in the cradle. I bet the first one to do it will sell out in a flash. I know I would've paid extra for it (and still will - I need another cradle for my home).

PS Timmay had done this for the Treo 600 using an actual headphone PLUG which sticks out of the cradle and inserts into the headphone jack of the Treo. You can always go this route if you don't want to solder to the pins. I didn't like this method since it may be difficult to secure the plug nicely and get the proper angles.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nice!
    Very crafty. So how does she work? Can you plug powered speakers into it now and get some good tunage from the mp3 player?
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    She works great! I plug my powered speakers into it and the sound quality is very good. I haven't compared it to an iPod or anything like that, but it'd be difficult to tell a difference without a really good sound system. I usually have my PC on those speakers, it has a mediocre Sound Blaster in it and the Treo sounds way better - no static!

I am really digging the setup now - with this cradle and my 1GB SD card, the Treo IMHO is the ultimate gadget right now. Let's see - games, movies, MP3's, it sits on my cradle now and it's playing music while Palmary clock is showing a slideshow of my pics and a clock or calendar. It's got a camera, albeit a sucky one. Oh, yah, it's a Phone and PIM too! :-P Really, the Treo 650 is "iPod + iPod Photo + PSP + Phone + PIM + Camera" Sorry for the rant...
    damn it i gotta try that now
    That's really cool. Congrats.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    Very nice!! How much to make me one?
    That is a nice job, and that's a nice looking 3rd party cradle. I have a feeling the OEM cradle is not going to be easy as my Treo 600 cradle. BTW if anyone likes my 600 cradle i'm going to be selling it (sold my Treo 600).

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    With powered speakers, does this make a better speakerphone out of the Treo?
    Quote Originally Posted by JTL
    With powered speakers, does this make a better speakerphone out of the Treo?
    I don't know if it makes a great speaker phone. When you place the Treo in it's cradle the mic will be covered by the base of the cradle. The sound is def better though, I have used it to listen to voice mails or listen to conference calls that i don't plan on talking.

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Dude you should buy a bunch of those remod them and sell them on Ebay.
    That's really cool

I can't believe nobody has built one for retail (I agree with the prior post...you should sell them). I've seen a couple of 3rd party cradles out there...but none with the jack. I would imagine people would buy it.

I might hack apart my 600 cradle and try something similar...

If there's nothing else I miss about the Treo 300...it's having the headset jack on the side.
    Looks like Seidio has thought about this already.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=85663
    Quote Originally Posted by juice
    Dude you should buy a bunch of those remod them and sell them on Ebay.
    I second the motion. I realize that Seidio may have plans to do something like it, but from the picture in that thread it looks horrible in comparison. Why would someone make a white cradle for a device that has practically no white to match?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I second the motion. I realize that Seidio may have plans to do something like it, but from the picture in that thread it looks horrible in comparison. Why would someone make a white cradle for a device that has practically no white to match?
    The cardle we are going to release is in silver/blue, like Treo 650 colors. What other colors would you like to see ?

Seidio
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio
    The cardle we are going to release is in silver/blue, like Treo 650 colors. What other colors would you like to see ?

Seidio
    Those colors would be fine. I guess I didn't read the other post that well, but the pictured showed white, so that's what I guessed it would be. I guess black to match stereo components (for when the Treo 650 not docked), would be good.

It was hard to get detail on how the dock itself looked, but this homemade version definitely looks sweet.