1.    #1  
    I have the Treo 650 on Cingular with "PDA Connect" unlimited data plan. When I had my blackberry, Cingular charged extra for using Verichat, although I had an unlimited Blackberry plan.

My question to anyone using Verichat on Cingular with an unlimited plan - do you get charged extra (Verichat may be billed extra as a text message) for using Verichat or is it included in your unlimited plan? Thanks!
    i think it should not matter unless you have it set up to send text mgs as incomming msgs
    Old Nokia - Nokia 3390 Sidekick 1 (black and white) - Sidekick Color - Treo 600 - Sidekick 2 - Blackberry 7100t - Treo 650 and razr black (best combo EVER) Iphone 8gb - Iphone 3G 16gb - BlackBerry Bold
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    I don't know exactly how Verichat works, but if it uses SMS (text) messages, then it will not be covered by either the unlimited blackberry or the unlimited medianet plan because both of those plans cover unlimited data, not unlimited text messages. You'll need to add a seperate text message plan.

The only exception to this is the old $19.99 unlimited MediaWorks plan that includes unlimited data and something like 1000 text messages. Unfortunately this plan is no longer available, so if you're not on it now then you can't add it. Don't be confused about the $19.99 MediaWorks plan that is currently available. That plan only includes 3MB of data usage and most people with Treos will exceed that and get charged for overages.

HTH,
    Brett
  4.    #4  
    I called Cingular to ask them this tonight and they are totally clueless... I can't get a definitive answer out of anyone there because their billing people are not techincal, and when I call their Wireless Internet technical dept., they have no idea about the program!

Does Verichat run as a SMS program or interntet? I guess that will answer my question. Or if anyone has Cingular, please let me know if you are billed. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    verichat can be configured to run as data OR sms..up to you.

preferences:always on:always on mode, enabled: uncheck 'use sms'
    that will stop the sms mode and use data
    Quote Originally Posted by mariog7
    Does Verichat run as a SMS program or interntet? I guess that will answer my question. Or if anyone has Cingular, please let me know if you are billed. Thanks.
    The SMS mode on Verichat is ONLY for when you are not in active mode. If someone contacts you the first time and your Treo is sleep, or you are in another application, it sends you an SMS. Once you establish a connection with that buddy (answering them back), it switches to data. Verichat doesn't have a full SMS mode where every message is SMS. Hopefully this helps.
    But it can be setup to send all messages through data and NONE, whether it be when the deivce is asleep or in another app or anything, goes through sms correct?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Under the always-on preferences, you can either disable always-on or set it to use SMS or Data.

With a lot of plans though, incoming messages are free, so setting it to use SMS for always on may not cost you anything, while if you use the data mode, it will be constantly checking for IMs, potentially impacting battery life and data usage levels.

I don't think it's possible to send outgoing messages via SMS at all.
    Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by geneld

I don't think it's possible to send outgoing messages via SMS at all.
    Dan
    Correct... atleast today, and on PalmOS. Not strictly true on other platforms.