Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I can't seem to find a solid review of the program on here. If you have found a search link that I overlooked that's detailed, please post it. Thanks.
    What would you like to know about it. I use it and it makes my treo seem more capable. I don't want to live in a world with out it
    visor deluxe->clie n760->treo 300->treo 600->treo 650 -> treo 700p -> treo 755p
    I use it for syncing with Outlook at work, and it works fairly well for me.
  4.    #4  
    I just wanted to know opinions. I would like to try it, but outlook isn't currently my default email program, so it won't install. I use Thunderbird because Outlook has IMAP problems.
    it requires you use outlook
    624 Posts
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    It's built to work on outlook. You can use it w/o mail if you do calendar/contacts in outlook.

In fact, that might be a good idea because the mail app isn't great (doesn't support folders)
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by santa
    It's built to work on outlook. You can use it w/o mail if you do calendar/contacts in outlook.

In fact, that might be a good idea because the mail app isn't great (doesn't support folders)
    I appreciate your post and your suggestions. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by santa

I'm using it without mail. I primarily use it for Calendar, Tasks, and Notes.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_mathews
    I'm using it without mail. I primarily use it for Calendar, Tasks, and Notes.
    I configured Outlook on my desktop to take over my contacts, calendar, etc again. I installed the trial and I really, really like this program! It's not too much (like some other programs out here), and it's a nice clean interface. I like being able to press one button and have access to the 4 features I use the most on the Treo. Barring any software issues, I'll be purchasing it real soon. I may opt to get DataViz's Total Office since I need PDF options and some other features from Documents to Go.
  10.    #10  
    I have another quick question. Whenever I reset my device or after so many hours, a screen comes up called "Beyond Contacts Notes." It asks if I want to make the BC notes application the default for notes and text files. I say yes, and click "Do not ask me again." Even though I click this button, it still comes back up to ask me this. Anyone else with this problem?
    I have never had that problem
  12.    #12  
    ok...
  13.    #13  
    Is Beyond Contacts a memory hog? Since you have to leave it in RAM, I wonder. I have almost ALL of my programs on my SD card except for BC, and I have 2.4MB left in RAM!! I'm starting to have resets, something I've never had before. I don't know what else to clean out, because everything else is in RAM. Any thoughts?
    I also use and really really like Beyond Contacts. It basically IS outlook for your Treo. I like that it uses it's own calendar, contacts, to-do, and notes databases which natively support all of the outlook fields instead of attempting to sync (and match mis-matched fields) with the internal Treo database.

Tip: You have to manually turn on calendar alarms in the preferences, it's not on by default.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by lawilson2
    Is Beyond Contacts a memory hog? Since you have to leave it in RAM, I wonder. I have almost ALL of my programs on my SD card except for BC, and I have 2.4MB left in RAM!! I'm starting to have resets, something I've never had before. I don't know what else to clean out, because everything else is in RAM. Any thoughts?
    It does use a fair amount of data, about 400-500k per application plus your data. 2.5MB total is about right. I don't think that's unusually high for what it is, most major apps that I use run at least 1MB up to 2MB.

It didn't seem that bad on the Treo 600 which had better memory management. On the 650 it made more of a difference, but I did recently update to the leaked firmware 1.21 which has much more efficient memory management and now I seem to have plenty of memory again with BC installed on the 650. So once the official update is released this shoudn't be a big issue.
    I think it's worth the memory usage for being one of my primary and mose useful apps.

I use BC to sync my work outlook info. I use the internal Palm databases with palm desktop (actually I have it sync with Yahoo, but it's sort of broken )for my personal info.
    Last edited by taylorh; 05/14/2005 at 12:34 AM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  16.    #16  
    Thanks for your comments. It's good to see that someone else enjoys this program. Question for you: Do you have the screen pop up occassionally that asks you if you want BC to be your default note handler? It's supposed to go away after the first time, but it comes up after every reset or hot sync. The company can't find a resolution for it. It might go away once I do a hard reset, but I don't want to do a hard reset until the Cingular firmware is available from Palm.
    I've never seen this pop up. Do you get it when accepting beamed text files or something? What makes it pop up?
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
  18. GXT
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    I also use and really really like Beyond Contacts. It basically IS outlook for your Treo. I like that it uses it's own calendar, contacts, to-do, and notes databases which natively support all of the outlook fields instead of attempting to sync (and match mis-matched fields) with the internal Treo database.

Tip: You have to manually turn on calendar alarms in the preferences, it's not on by default.
    How does it compare with AgendusPro? Does any body know?
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by GXT
    How does it compare with AgendusPro? Does any body know?
    I tried Agendus, and it's no doubt powerful, but it was too much on the screen for me. I just didn't like the way the formatting was. Since I'm an Outlook user, Beyond Contacts just made sense since it matched all of the fields, and it has a clean look in my opinion. You'd be hard pressed to find an impartial comparison of the two (I've tried). It really comes down to what you are more comfortable with. Try the two (try Agendus first), and see which one works for your needs. Post back and let us know what you came up with. That's the one thing I do like about free trials with this type of software; you aren't stuck with it if you don't like it.
    I have never used agendus. I did try datebk5 but came back to bc because it is both powerful to use and simple to learn. db5 was sort of complicated