1.    #1  
    Interesting observation. I made no changes to the FW 1.23 ROM file, but used Shadowmites tool to open and then rebuild the ace-palmos.zip file. Below and attached are the results that the T650rom.exe reports:

8359840 of ~7130000 | About -1229840 available

So the tool shows that I am over by more than 1.2M of info in the ROM!

I believe the problem is due to all the foreign language files in the ace-palmos file. During the upgrade only 1 language version of the files with multiple languages is installed. I think the Shadowmite tool counts each language of the same file.

My question is how do I get a real sizing of my custom ROM? I was planning to take out all the Realplayer and Tutorial related files and put in Zlauncher, LEDOff, FileZ, DateBK5 and KeyCaps600 (version for 650). How do I size the customization?

How much free space is in ROM with no changes? I could than do the math on the additions and substractions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by swieder; 05/02/2005 at 10:11 PM.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    With all the extra languages deleted (except for English), the Tutorials deleted, World Clock deleted, and Real player deleted, I get 6,659,448 of 7,130,000 | About 470, 552 available. I use this as my "base" ROM because I know this works "as is". But I'm sure the 7,130,000kb of space that Shadowmite used as a limit has some margin for error
    Attached Images Attached Images
  3.    #3  
    Is there any point in deleting all the extra languages? Isn't only the selected language installed?

Having a baseline that gives you 470K gives me a ball park number. I like Worldclock which adds back 62K.

No way will I fit in Datebk5 which take 793K. Zlauncher does not look too promising either at 480K.
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder
    Is there any point in deleting all the extra languages? Isn't only the selected language installed?
    Nope, all of them are installed. After installing 1.23 unmodified, every time you do a hard reset you are prompted to choose the default language to be used on the device.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
  5.    #5  
    Jetkins -

Using a file browser to look at ROM files I found book, defconnection and PalmOSdata have multiple language files in ROM. The the other files, Blazer, AirSAMprv, Datebook and many more, just have the English version installed.
    I'm not sure which set of files it is, but I deleted all the language files except English and there is no longer the language choice....on a different note, I can't successfully delete the native launcher even when I replace it with ZL
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey