Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    You have got to love the maps that come with the Google Local What?/Where? searches. This is worth a separate post.
    FastFrank
  2.    #2  
    You have got to love the maps that come with the Google Local What?/Where? searches. This is worth a separate post. After seeing map, select Menu & W to wide screen the map. Also try the zoom & N, S, E, W functions. This would be nice with Dir Assist.

Try it at:

http://www.google.com/lochp

Use "pizza" and "48430" as a starter.
    FastFrank
    <merged> Sure, worth another post but not separate threads.
  4.    #4  
    I hit return by mistake before finishing. Didn't know how to delete. Thanx for the fix.
    FastFrank
    It google local, images and web for mobile all in one

Google xhtml

i replaced the google bookmark that came installed on the treo 650 with this one its great.
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    thats all fine and dandy, but the map is the size of my fingernail. any way to make it full screen?
    yeah, that's my problem with the mobile version - the map is so small that you have to zoom way in to see anything so three or so downloads later you get a map where you can distinguish the roads, but is too small so you don't see the names!! Ugh! I may end up sticking with the regular google local to get the bigger map.
    Thanks Frank, this is way much better than the google SMS service.

You can view the map better by using the wide view instead of optimize.
    I'll have to agree with wball and nybble- the map is very small. Changing from Optimized view to Wide view as ronbo suggests does absolutely nothing to increase that map size for me.

Can you really see a difference?

Thank goodness for TomTom.
    Quote Originally Posted by FastFrank
    After seeing map, select Menu & W to wide screen the map.
    This does bubkiss for me, map still a thumbnail. Have you been able to widescreen the map?
    Wide Page viewing works fine for me.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Ree Nigne
    This does bubkiss for me, map still a thumbnail. Have you been able to widescreen the map?
    Ditto, no difference.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Using the xhtml google link the map is small no matter what the mode, but using the www.google.com/lochp link gives a bigger map in wide mode than in optimized mode (and both those maps are bigger than the xhtml one)
    Unlocked GSM Palm 650.
    Ahhh...maybe thats the problem. Ronbo and I were using the lochp page, and the others the xhtml?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I'm thinking the denser your area the more you'll need to zoom. More suburban areas probably get the best results as far as how the map appears.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    google.com/lochp doesn't seem to display a map on Xiino, only on Blazer...
    Twitter: @dvdmon

that did it, much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Ahhh...maybe thats the problem. Ronbo and I were using the lochp page, and the others the xhtml?
    /lochp appears to be where you wind up if you hit www.google.com/local with Blazer, i.e. it's the regular Google Local, not the PDA-optimized version that you get at mobile.google.com/local.

It seems that the PDA-optimized variant is dumbed-down for our superior devices.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Yep. It's a tradeoff - the lochp page gives a full screen maps from which you can zoom in/out by direct link to levels of magnification (xhtml has small map and requires a new page load for every level of magnification), but the xhtml page loads results much faster and puts the map at the top (xhtml is a bit slow, and you have to scroll to the bottom for the map).

Conclusion: I bookmarked both and will use xhtml first to get address and phone number info. If I need the map, I'll go to lochp. Would be nice if the map in the mobile local was bigger, maybe the small size of most mobile phone browser windows requires a small map - or would it be even smaller? Google, can you help us out? In fact, while you're coding, just go ahead and knock out a "Google Treo" optimized portal, eh?

Google Treo, mmmh, aaaaah. [slaps self to snap out of it]
    yeah, i've pretty much came to the same conclusion. in my excitement I had immediately switched to the mobile optimized one.. but with all the zooming I have to do it takes pretty much just about the same time to get the info and is more annoying. Heh.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast