Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I got my Treo last Thursday from palmOne. I immediatly started reading up and learning how to use the software. I downloaded a bunch of demo program, Verichat, ZLauncher, Ringo Pro, etc.. and threw them on my Treo. Before I knew it, the thing would either reboot or freeze to a white screen frequently.

So on Saturday I did a hard reset. Currently, the ONLY 3rd party programs I have on there right now are Ringo Pro, DirectoryAssistant and Butler. My phone still frequently freezes when I reply to a txt message and when I click the home button. This happens at least 66% of the time while txt messaging. I have to take the battery out and put it back in. Sometimes the phone would reset and the error log said there was an exception in Messaging or Applications.

If I have to continue doing this then this phone is NOT worth it. What can I do to fix these problems? I don't have a ton of software on it!!

BTW, this is a Sprint phone.
    dude. you should have used the search feature on here.

hard reset. use it virgin for a while to make sure it's fine. then add the programs on one at a time........... slowly...................
  3.    #3  
    If I had a dollar for every hours I spent on here in the last week reading I could buy myself a new 650 :-) But sreiously, the threads I read were like OMG BEST 6 APPS to have on your TREO immediatly!!

But I'll try it virgin for a week or so. Should I expect any freezes or resets during that week?
    if you run it virgin for a week without a single third party app on it and it resets more than 2 times, return it.
  5.    #5  
    Hmm, ok. Fair enough. Thanks for the info!
    no problem. also, there are a lot of threads on here about the best apps to use with your treo. take a look at those and only used tried programs that people don't have any issues with.
    If it's truly freezing frequently - I'd send it back today. If you're getting resets, I'd check some of the settings per this forum and if it's still resetting then send it back.

If you're CDMA, do you have the 1.08 firmware or the 1.03?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretender
    dude. you should have used the search feature on here.

hard reset. use it virgin for a while to make sure it's fine. then add the programs on one at a time........... slowly...................
    What he said!

This is for Cingular users but will apply to you as well. Take a look at it.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...lar+newbie+faq
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Freezing and Resets you say?

Hmm, fascinating... hadn't heard of that one before... lol

Get a 600.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Do yourself a favor and try the 1.08 firmware before you get too upset. The stock firmware on both GSM and CDMA Treo 650 models sucks. I have an unlocked GSM and it used to reset twice a day prior to installing the 1.21 GSM update, now it hasn't reset in over a week. My friend with a Sprint CDMA 650 had a similar though slightly less dramatic result with the 1.08 firmware update.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcgabriel
    Do yourself a favor and try the 1.08 firmware before you get too upset. The stock firmware on both GSM and CDMA Treo 650 models sucks. I have an unlocked GSM and it used to reset twice a day prior to installing the 1.21 GSM update, now it hasn't reset in over a week. My friend with a Sprint CDMA 650 had a similar though slightly less dramatic result with the 1.08 firmware update.
    I would have to agree - I get resets so infrequently that when it does happen my reaciton is "wow, where'd that come from" not "here we go again".
  12.    #12  
    Well the thing came with 1.08 from the factory. (as least thats what my phone info said?) Unless there's a 'newer' 1.08 then I should have the latest, no?
    Butler seems to be the culperate for various resets so I'd definately run without that app for a while. I'm more a multimedia user (only have about 30 contacts) and rarely have resets. I think the apps that tie in with the contacts, messanging, email, alerts and phone app are responsible for the vast majority of resets.
    Adster

Here's my .02 .Mine has been flawless and I mean not a single negative cr..p that you read here but one day, I decided to install Butler and I had 3 soft resets within an hour! I suspect I had another app. in my locked Cingular 650 already that did not like Butler at all. Sooooo I deleted it immediately and I'm back in nirvana. No resets at all once again.

On a side note, Ringo used to cause a number of resets on my old Treo 600.

You have both apps. that I would never again re-install in "MY" awesome Treo 650.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
  15.    #15  
    I'll take out Butler and Ringo and see how it goes.

Reason I have it on there was because a lot of people in the "6 best apps for your Treo 650" thread swear by it...interesting. Thanks for your responce guys :-)
  16.    #16  
    haha took out Ringo and Butler. Went to make a phone call and RESET!

"A reset was caused on 5/2/05 at 10:19pm while running "Phone": Fatal Exception"
    Quote Originally Posted by adster
    haha took out Ringo and Butler. Went to make a phone call and RESET!

"A reset was caused on 5/2/05 at 10:19pm while running "Phone": Fatal Exception"
    Unfortunately, I think you're gonna want to do another hard reset. Uninstalling those programs may have left some reminants that's still causing you grief.
    I was holding out on exchanging my phone, I had at least 2-3 resets every day for the past 2 months..I had one of the first unlocked GSM's...sometimes if I got lucky I would go without a reset for 1 day.

Last week called Palm Canada and got them to send me a new one and paid $40 for advance replacement, the phone arrived 3 days later I put in my SD card and used a backup I had made with Backupbuddy VFS and restored in a minute or so.

*My phone hasnt reset since April 28th, I had one reset that was done by me while using "Filez"...the phone is running very stable and the best part was the fiance saying "Hey how come your phone doesnt make that *bling bling* noise anymore"....of course shes referrring to the tone you hear when it soft resets

**I should also mention I was very concerrned about getting a refurbed unit, the unit I received was wrapped in bubble wrap with cardboard around the phone and sent in a Fedex mailer..it arrived safely and looked brand new, I'm back to a scuffless unit
    I am almost positive that its RingoPro "freezing" your treo on a white screen.. Especially when clicking on the text message indicator. Without going into detail I trialed and errored different programs in and out for almost two weeks on a daily basis to figure out what was causing my "freeze" problem. It was Ringo Pro every time. I am so certain that I am surprised no one else has mentioned it. But sometimes I think when a product receives such high praise, people feel bad coming out to say something negative about it. In reality, if there is a problem, making it known is our only shot for getting the problem resolved.

Long story short... take out ringo...then use a utilty like filez to make sure it is completely gone. That should take care of the freezing.

Now...resets are another issue. I have heard Butler causes them. But I don't use Butler so I don't know for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Longstrider
    I am almost positive that its RingoPro "freezing" your treo on a white screen.. Especially when clicking on the text message indicator. Without going into detail I trialed and errored different programs in and out for almost two weeks on a daily basis to figure out what was causing my "freeze" problem. It was Ringo Pro every time...
    I'm trying to find the cause of my several-times-per-day white screen freeze problem. I have a trial version of Ringo, but I didn't set it up for an SMS tone. Unfortunately the white screen freeze doesn't record a #*377 error log, so it's hard to pinpoint the application causing the trouble. I'd love to hear more of your Ringo tests. PM me if you wish. Thanks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast