Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK, this could be a faster dealbreaker than any previous PDA or cell device I've owned. WHAT could be causing this? Last night a call caused a soft reset when I tapped answer -- and this morning selecting a number from contacts caused the same thing. I assumed it was dialing and got the Sprint phone activation noise right in the ear. Not good.

I already got rid of TakePhone. I'm using the OEM dialer/contacts app.
    GEEKTOPIC - The Geek Forum. <--Free Hentai Image Forum!
    ##377

(and pray it doesn't come up HALradio)
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Hang on, skip that. What ARE you running?

memo to self, stay on one forum at a time

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  4.    #4  
    I did it and got "...while running "PHONE": Fatal Exception."
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelator
    OK, this could be a faster dealbreaker than any previous PDA or cell device I've owned. WHAT could be causing this? Last night a call caused a soft reset when I tapped answer -- and this morning selecting a number from contacts caused the same thing. I assumed it was dialing and got the Sprint phone activation noise right in the ear. Not good.

I already got rid of TakePhone. I'm using the OEM dialer/contacts app.
    Have you tried using your phone "clean" with no apps installed?
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
  6.    #6  
    Well, I just got it... There are some things on there, but the soft resets started the day I got the thing. If I have to do a clean reboot *already* to troubleshoot this I may just as well return the thing. That's ridiculous.
    Well, I just got it... There are some things on there, but the soft resets started the day I got the thing. If I have to do a clean reboot *already* to troubleshoot this I may just as well return the thing. That's ridiculous.
    ha ha it is ridiculous but... try and get a more user friendly and capable smartphone... that's my problem.
    The soft resets could be caused by the FIRST thing you installed. The number of things installed doesnt necesarily correlate to when the Treo resets. One buggy program, hack or betaware, and you are toast.

Doing a clean reboot is the sensible thing to do to narrow down whether its hardware or software. However, given your attitude towards troubleshooting, I would suggest returning the Treo. This is probably not going to be the last time you have to do this.

If you decide to keep it, I would strongly recommend a good backup program and a good uninstall manager. This will help you manage your Treo more efficiently if you intend to load any number of 3rd party apps or hackware that is available for the Treo.

Try this thread

Treo 650 Troubleshooting 101

or this thread

Newbie Cingular Treo 650 FAQ - READ ME FIRST!

for some ideas on how to troubleshoot problems and avoid common pitfalls.
    Cingular Treo 650
  9.    #9  
    I am aware of uninstall managers. I've owned approximately a dozen PalmOS devices over the span of the last 6 years. Soft resets aren't a new concept for me, nor is wiping and reinstalling everything.

Even so, my 'attitude' is borne of the fact that this device is barely 1 week old. I do have some things on it, but nothing different or particularly systemwide-affecting than anything I ever put on my Zodiac, T|2, NX70V and so forth. I've never seen a system so unstable as to precipitate this many resets in a given day, or while performing basic functions. Had I an overclocker and various system hacks installed, I could understand. --- But as I said, this was going on almost from day one.

I WANT to keep this, as the only other device that catches my eye from Sprint is the 6600, which is bigger and had problems of its own.

I do appreciate the tips, though. Thanks!
    When I first got mine there was a problem with the SIM card, and that was causing all sorts of grief. I am not excusing Palm (or Cingular), but once the SIM issue was identified and a fix found (first it was a SIM swap, then the firmware upgrade) the device did become much more stable. Even so I do agree with you that there are too many things that make the Treo reset. Whether is a defect of the Treo, the new NVFS system or the sloppy programming of some hackers, its up for debate, although it is all three causes - the debate is which cause is more prevalent.

Ever since I got the SIM thing fixed my device has been rock solid. I do a lot of hackware and beta testing, so i have had the ocassional reset and crash, but nothing like some people have posted here. Some people have gotten bad Treos out of the box, so dont discount the possibility you may have one of those. That is why the advice of using it clean for a few days came about - if the Treo resets without you even loading or syncing once, then there is a very strong likelihood that the device itself is defective, and I have read several posts of people in that boat. Replacing the unit usually takes care of that.

Good luck!
    Cingular Treo 650
  11.    #11  
    Since this was a 'preowned' (refurb?) I may have to do that very thing for a few days. Ugh. And then I wonder what kind of grief I'm in for, since getting this in exchange for my MM7400 was kind of a fluke to begin with...
    Only a dozen??? Could've sworn you had more than that...

But all seriousness, a hard reset would be the best thing right now. I know, pain in the ***, but if you're really going to turn it in, you'll have to do it anyways. But you should at least try a bare. To get an idea if it's hardware or a software issue. If it works bare, that's a good thing. Software problem somewhere...

In some ways, the Treo is like your old Clie or e800. Need to tweak and tinker with it. All i can say is since 1.08, I've rarely had a reset. And the ones I have were from software.

13.    #13  
    Could UDMH be causing instability, maybe..??
    This is what worked for me...

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,kb=PalmSupportKB,CASE=obj(38867),ts=Palm_External2001#ringer

(don't know why it won't post as a link...)
    I had the exact same problem, with cingular. It is a currupted file in your palm desktop. Just call Palmone and they will walk you through it.
    Could UDMH be causing instability, maybe..??
    Could be. I guess anything like that, pxaclocker, etc can **** off the Treo.

Try the link from latte:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,kb=PalmSupportKB,CASE=obj(38867),ts=Palm_External2001#ringer as well. Basically saying to rid your system of any Contact replacer, Ringtone Managers, etc.

I know Lightwav used to puke my Treo on phone calls (surprise, surprise... ) I wouldn't throw the towel in just yet.

This happened to me had to do with versamail getting corrupted. Palmone has instructions on getting it fixed. You will have to down load filez.

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,kb=PalmSupportKB,CASE=obj(36541),ts=Palm_External2001
  18.    #18  
    I did the Versamail fix - we'll see if that works. Thanks!
    I did the Versamail fix - we'll see if that works. Thanks!
    If you really want to fix Worsemail, get rid of it. Put in a custom ROM and use Snapper (or Chatter if you want it pushed) for email.

Versamail is probably the single most bug infested program included in ROM.

20.    #20  
    Is chatter better than Verichat? I hear conflicting stories. I like Verichat's easy chatness aspect - no adding of friends, all automatic.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast