Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    Before I get flamed...i have searched, but i get results that get way off target.

    I would like to know the best way to reinstall all my programs from scratch without any old stuff messing it up. What i want to do is wipe it back to factory...install all my progs...then sync my contacts/calendar etc. I am not concerned with having to reset my prefs for each program. With that said i have several programs which use your hotsync id to give you your reg code so I would rather not have to change that. How do i sync after cleaning it out without restoring all the old stuff back on it?

    BTW yes, my first programs on this time will be an uninstall manager and a backup util.

    Thanks
  2. #2  
    i would delete everything from the treo first....
    sync
    then hard reset
    sync again
    then install one app at a time
    if you have your registration codes for everything it doesnt take that long to register them, especially if you aren't worried about configuring your settings again.
    Need information on Real Estate, Please contact me!!!
    www.TheMMTeam.com
  3. #3  
    only problem with that is when you sync after your H.R. it will automatically re-install all of your apps.

    what you want to do is:
    -Sync
    -Hard Reset
    -Go to C:/Palm/Chillin/Backup and delete all the apps from there.
    -Sync
    -Re-install apps.
    Soylent Green Is People

    My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
  4. #4  
    ^ Just a note: Your Backup folder will probably not be under "Chillin"
    Soylent Green Is People

    My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
  5. #5  
    My Treo is all messed up as well. It seems like everytime I hotsync a new device, it puts old apps on it. Goes all the way back to a 5 year old Sony Clie > Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. What can I do to clean it all and start from scratch. TIA!
  6. #6  
    I did a hard reset, changed the user ID to "oldUserName" and then synced creating a new user and used the same I had previously. Required me to re-register and reset preferences for all programs but it was clean that way.

    If you have clean uninstaller or other uninstall program, in theory you could determine all additional files associated with a given program and only bring in those you want from your previous set-up (assuming you know which you wanted to keep and which you didn't).
  7. #7  
    The other and much faster option to get rid of orphan files is to move all apps to the SD thru Powerrun or similar launcher. Then Hard reset Rename your backup folder as mentioned in post 6. Hotsync to get your contacts back, then reinstall your Launcher and move the apps back. This will save you from having to install each app and reset prefs and data.

    This can also be done using BackupMan or similar back up app. By restoring individual files.
    Last edited by sxtg; 05/02/2005 at 10:25 PM.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillin_
    only problem with that is when you sync after your H.R. it will automatically re-install all of your apps.

    what you want to do is:
    -Sync
    -Hard Reset
    -Go to C:/Palm/Chillin/Backup and delete all the apps from there.
    -Sync
    -Re-install apps.
    There is no need to delete the apps from the BACKUP folder. Simply rename the folder to something like BACKUPOLD or BACKUP050305 (thats the date). Upon your next hotsync a new, clean BACKUP folder will be created. Then, reinstall apps as needed.

    CGordonn
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnytoo
    My Treo is all messed up as well. It seems like everytime I hotsync a new device, it puts old apps on it. Goes all the way back to a 5 year old Sony Clie > Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. What can I do to clean it all and start from scratch. TIA!
    When you moved up to the Treo 650, did you happen to do a clean, fresh reinstall of Palm Desktop? There are known issues for those who have owned previous Palm devices who have upgraded to a Treo 650. Whats likely hosing your Treo 650 is that you didnt start fresh, so previous apps that may have worked for your older devices are being installed onto your Treo 650, these apps my not be compatible with your 650, hence your problems.

    Here is a link to the Palm support site, for the correct procedure to upgrade to a Treo 650
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by cgordonn
    There is no need to delete the apps from the BACKUP folder. Simply rename the folder to something like BACKUPOLD or BACKUP050305 (thats the date). Upon your next hotsync a new, clean BACKUP folder will be created. Then, reinstall apps as needed.

    CGordonn
    I think Iíve go this right, but I need to check it in language that makes sense to me. Iíve got a new 1GB Extreme III card I want to start using AND I want to do a hard reset and reinstall of apps one by one (with Uninstall Manager first) so I can keep my 650 running well.

    I also want to make sure I keep my current HotSync user ID so all the applications Iíve purchased still work without the hassle of contacting the vendors on them.

    Here are the steps I think I should take.

    Sync and backup.
    Remove current (soon to be old) SD Card.
    Hard reset.
    Go to C:/Palm/username/Backup and rename the file to something else.
    Sync.
    During first new sync select my current HotSync user ID (after this first sync is complete Iím assuming the 650 will only contain the built in original apps not anything I previously loaded.)
    Put new 1GB SD card in.
    Load Uninstall Manager.
    Start to load applications one by one.


    Please let me know if I have this right.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by kwilkins
    I think Iíve go this right, but I need to check it in language that makes sense to me. Iíve got a new 1GB Extreme III card I want to start using AND I want to do a hard reset and reinstall of apps one by one (with Uninstall Manager first) so I can keep my 650 running well.

    I also want to make sure I keep my current HotSync user ID so all the applications Iíve purchased still work without the hassle of contacting the vendors on them.

    Here are the steps I think I should take.

    Sync and backup.
    Remove current (soon to be old) SD Card.
    Hard reset.
    Go to C:/Palm/username/Backup and rename the file to something else.
    Sync.
    During first new sync select my current HotSync user ID (after this first sync is complete Iím assuming the 650 will only contain the built in original apps not anything I previously loaded.)
    Put new 1GB SD card in.
    Load Uninstall Manager.
    Start to load applications one by one.


    Please let me know if I have this right.

    Does anyone have knowledge on weather this will work or not?
  12. #12  
    Yes, that process will give you a fresh clean install and restore ONLY the built in apps and re-sync your usernames main DB's (contacts, datebook, todo's, memo's).

    CGordonn
  13. #13  
    I have a variation to the thread question. I recently upgraded to the T650. I installed the new desktop software and other than the odd reset everything appears to working fine. I want to give my old T600 to my wife to use and have her be able to hotsync her own data under a new ID on the same computer that I am now using. How do I go about creating a new user id for my old treo 600 while saving all of the data & programs on it and setting that new user up on the new palm desktop currently being used for the treo 650?

    In summary, can a t600 and a t650 with different id's both be hotsynced to the palm desktop?
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder204
    I have a variation to the thread question. I recently upgraded to the T650. I installed the new desktop software and other than the odd reset everything appears to working fine. I want to give my old T600 to my wife to use and have her be able to hotsync her own data under a new ID on the same computer that I am now using. How do I go about creating a new user id for my old treo 600 while saving all of the data & programs on it and setting that new user up on the new palm desktop currently being used for the treo 650?

    In summary, can a t600 and a t650 with different id's both be hotsynced to the palm desktop?
    The easiest way would be to take your backup folder (Thunder204) on your computer and copy the entire contents to a new folder called ThundersWoman. Then Hard Reset your T600, do a Sync and it will ask you what uder id to associate with it, select ThundersWoman, and you are good to go. The only problem with this is your Registrations will no longer work, as they will only work for the user Thunder204. All other data and Free apps will work fine though.
    Soylent Green Is People

    My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC

Posting Permissions