1.    #1  
    I've been playing around with encoding TV shows (WinFast TV card on XP) and DVD movies (DVDx) to obtain the best balance of image quality without dropped frames, while keeping the file size down. I am _not_ planning to recode any files I already have, since the player does a fine job playing them.

I'm going on the assumption that my 66x 1GB SD card can keep up with the data rate.

Using the Divx 5 encoder, with one-pass encoding at 200Kbps and MP3 stereo encoding at 24Kbps, I get about 2.5MB per minute, which would be 75MB for a 30min show. I have to enter a -250ms A/V offset to keep A/V synchronized.

I find that when I reduce the DIVX bitrate (to, say, 160Kbps), the quality suffers greatly, without significant file savings. Xvid wasn't any better.

Anyone else have suggestions or advice for this awesome player? We should create a list of suggested presets (like Kinoma has) for the various encoders and Palm devices.
    Last edited by emair; 05/02/2005 at 10:31 AM.
    --
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm V - Sprint Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Pre - 2.1.0 Pre w/ Uberkernel
    Sinclair 1000 - Apple ][+ - C64 - Apple //e - PowerBook 100 - Mac SE - Dell PC - Acer AspireOne - 11" MacBook Air
    You could have searched, but Recode 2 is the best encoder that you'll find. With Recode 2, using those settings (and the superior AAC audio codec), your 30min show would be about 60MB and would encode in half the time.
  3.    #3  
    Yes, I did read all that, but do not have Recode 2.

When recording off of the TV tuner, it can directly encode to Divx, to easily create archives of shows. For movies, however, Recode seems like the way to go.
    --
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm V - Sprint Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Pre - 2.1.0 Pre w/ Uberkernel
    Sinclair 1000 - Apple ][+ - C64 - Apple //e - PowerBook 100 - Mac SE - Dell PC - Acer AspireOne - 11" MacBook Air
    xvid is normally better than divx, so I'd start there. You can also encode the audio with the ogg codec. You'll get better audio quality at lowere bitrates than with MP3. That will let you bump up the video bitrate to keep the same file size. 2-pass will also improve the quality. What video codec settings are you using?