Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    I've been doing a lot of reading here for the past week+ as I'm still in the process of deciding if I want to take the plunge for the 650. One of the things I may have missed, is what are the advantages / dis-advantages of a locked vs an unlocked phone?

Also, I've never used a PDA (or phone) for any sort of WEB access. I did some reading at Cingulars site, but am not finding a lot of detailed information on what I can actually accomplish using their Edge network... I know I can set it up to receive POP mail, but can I browse forums like these?

I went to a Cingular store on Friday and asked the rep if it was wifi capable and if I could use it at hotspots. He said yes, it was ready to do all that right out of the box.... I think I know enough about the Treo to know that he was wrong. He also knew nothing about their own network.

So... If you all wouldn't mind saving me hours of reading and filtering, a brief explanation of the above would be appreciated.

Thanks,

David...
    Locked vs unlocked basically comes down to whether or not you are tied to one particular provider. With a locked phone, the phone is tied to that particular provider forever, unless and until you can convince them to give you your phone's unlock code. There are also some minor differences in features and preloaded applications.

Web access is just that. With an active data plan on your account, you can surf the web just as you can from your PC. The speeds are akin to what you'd experience on a dialup modem, and some pages do not display very well on the Treo's small screen, but for the most part it's perfectly functional. Some sites, such as this forum, even offer PDA-optimized versions that are formatted for the small screen, and which are not so graphic-intensive (which would slow things down).

Finally, you're correct - the rep you spoke with was clueless. Sure, you can use your Treo at a Wi-Fi hotspot, but you'll be using your wireless connection, not the Wi-Fi!
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    EDGE is nice. It's not EVDO but it's nice. I have a PDA2K(PPC) with regular GPRS and it's slower and less reliable. Now my Treo isn't 100% reliable and always fast by any means but mostly it's good. I would suggest you go to your Cingular store which my store had the "locked" Treo 650 for 549 with a 50 dollar rebate for non subscribing but even cheaper if you get a plan. Then call Cingular at a specific number which is posted on this forum somewhere(do a search) and say "I'm calling for my unlock code on my Treo 650, and might I say you sound like an intelligent attractive person"... 5 mins later you'll get your code.
    Don't flame me- I searched but can't find the answer...is there a way to test if your phone is locked or unlocked? I bought mine from Cingular by phone (told them I already had a number anda SIM card) and put in my previous phone's SIM card and it works fine. I don't want to fight them for an unlock code if it already is unlocked.
    ^ Simple, gets a friends SIM from any other carrier and put it in your Treo. If it successfully registers on the network you are good to go. If it doesn't, you aren't.
    Soylent Green Is People

My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Thanks for the clarifications jetkins,

I broke down & got 1 650 from Cingular last night! Maybe I'll unlock it in the future, but for now I guess there's no real need. I'm going to try the data service for a month just to see what it does, I really don't think I need it.

David...
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by juice
    (snip) ...then call Cingular at a specific number which is posted on this forum somewhere(do a search) and say "I'm calling for my unlock code on my Treo 650, and might I say you sound like an intelligent attractive person"... 5 mins later you'll get your code.
    Providing that the person on the other end of the line is of the Opposite sex!

David...
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidJ
    I'm going to try the data service for a month just to see what it does, I really don't think I need it.
    Beware, it's like crack - once you've tried it, there's no escape.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    Beware, it's like crack - once you've tried it, there's no escape.
    Great... Just one more addiction I gotta deal with <sigh> I wonder if I can get my old room at Betty Fords clinic :-)

David...
    II went to a Cingular store on Friday..... .
    Brand stores are a good source for misinformation....my guess is because of employee turnover. Another problem is I have never been able to get a salesman to go for a 1 year contract at a corporate store....the "all carrier" stores OTOH, will generally sell you one for a lot cheaper and with a 1 year contract.
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Brand stores are a good source for misinformation....my guess is because of employee turnover. Another problem is I have never been able to get a salesman to go for a 1 year contract at a corporate store....the "all carrier" stores OTOH, will generally sell you one for a lot cheaper and with a 1 year contract.
    I got lucky, yesterday I went to another local store that had knowledgeable people working there, no hype & no pressure. What a relief, the girl actually spent an hour with me answering all my questions & showing me what she could. I ended up buying the 650.

There was a $50.00 or $100.00 rebate for a 1 year or 2 year plan, but in the long run it costs more to break a contract than vs. the extra $100.00 up front so I continued with my month to month and paid the higher price. I've been with them for nearly 2 years and have no reason to leave, I just hate contracts :-)

Now the fun begins!

David...
    I just hate contracts :-)
    A 2 yar contract when technology is outta date after a year is too burdensome....I insist on 1 year committemnts, max.

Read this (message 3 in thread):

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...d=1#post650232
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Great post Jack, I did a quick scan then bookmarked it, thanks ! To bad I didn't refer myself before hand... But at least I got the card on order :-)

David...
    Great post Jack, I did a quick scan then bookmarked it, thanks ! To bad I didn't refer myself before hand... But at least I got the card on order :-)

David...
    I referred myself 3 weeks after I bought it.