1.    #1  
    Howdy,

I have been lurking on this board all weekend and have decided to get a treo 650. My hubby is getting me one for Mother's Day (my Itty Bitty is 18 months old ).

I was planning on ordering the treo 650 straight from palm because I am a little scared about the ebay thing. Does anyone know of another place that is selling them cheaper? I have Cingular and don't want to get one through them and have to renew for 2 years.

If I get the branded one from palm, I can get Cingular to unlock it for me, right? So, I shouldn't pay extra to get the unlocked one?

Thanks so much!!!!
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dfwgal
    Howdy,

I have been lurking on this board all weekend and have decided to get a treo 650. My hubby is getting me one for Mother's Day (my Itty Bitty is 18 months old ).

I was planning on ordering the treo 650 straight from palm because I am a little scared about the ebay thing. Does anyone know of another place that is selling them cheaper? I have Cingular and don't want to get one through them and have to renew for 2 years.

If I get the branded one from palm, I can get Cingular to unlock it for me, right? So, I shouldn't pay extra to get the unlocked one?

Thanks so much!!!!
    Why not just buy one from TreoCentral? $349!! hmph hmph.
    If you buy from Palm and you dont buy a carrier branded one, you will pay $700. The 2 year renewal is what gets you a cheaper price (like $349). Its the price of not wanting to renew. If you buy a carrier branded one (from Palm or from the carrier) you will have to renew your contract.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    If you buy a carrier branded one (from Palm or from the carrier) you will have to renew your contract.
    Sorry, I have to call BS on this one. I bought my Cingular 650 from PalmOne, and it did not require a contract extension. I never even had to give them my phone number, let alone my Cingular account details. Sure, if you buy direct from a Cingular store, they may try to re-up you for another term, but PalmOne does not.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    I bought mine straight from Palm unbranded (yes, paid nearly $750 with extra battery with no regrets!) because I have T-Mobile (for 4 years already). Unfortunately straight from Palm is nearly the cheapest (celluloco.com is another good place for unbranded phones) unless you go the ebay route but then again you take risks with that path. Palm promises FREE overnight shipping so it get into your hands faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    Sorry, I have to call BS on this one. I bought my Cingular 650 from PalmOne, and it did not require a contract extension. I never even had to give them my phone number, let alone my Cingular account details. Sure, if you buy direct from a Cingular store, they may try to re-up you for another term, but PalmOne does not.
    How much did you pay for yours? The PalmStore lists a branded Cingular phone for use with an existing Cingular plan at $549.

UPDATE: I just read the rebate form at Cingular.com, and it says you can buy the new hardware from them without a contract extension. Sweeet!!!

http://onlinestoree.cingular.com/htm...teForms/SE.pdf
    Last edited by ZBoater; 05/02/2005 at 10:45 AM.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    How much did you pay for yours? The PalmStore lists a branded Cingular phone for use with an existing Cingular plan at $549.
    Yep, that's what I paid. And you're correct, I did have to agree to a 12-month contract extension when I activated data service, because I also had to change my phone plan. The GAIT plan I was on previously did not allow for data, but the rep I spoke with moved me to a GSM plan which gave me more minutes, plus rollover, for less per month than I had been paying. And I got to keep my GAIT calling area, so when we head off into the countryside, I can drop my SIM into my old Nokia GAIT phone and get GSM, CDMA and AMPS coverage just about anywhere.

For that, I didn't mind a contract extension.
    Last edited by jetkins; 05/02/2005 at 11:26 AM.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro