Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After looking around i have noticed that everyone seems to use Outlook and not the Palm desktop software to hotsync. I was just wondering why this was?
    Well I don't know about anyone else, so I can only tell you that for myself:
    1. Outlook is DEFINITELY a more robust PIM.
    2. Having all of my info in Outlook is just easier when doing emails.
    3. It's the PIM client of choice for my company.
    4. I've used it for a long time...I know it well.

I'm sure there are more reasons but it's too early, and I just can't think of them right now. This could be an interesting thread though.
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
    I prefer Palms desktop application to Outlook's contacts and calendar. It doesn't only look better, but is also much more versatile.
    I use Outlook at work (no choice) and Palm Desktop at home (more simple).

I use the PIM on the Treo at home, not the Desktop. I haven't fired up Palm Desktop in weeks.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Outlook loads more faster. I use Outlook more longer than Palm Desktop, so I still use Outlook.
    I use outlook so my email and email addresses can be on the same program.
    visor deluxe->clie n760->treo 300->treo 600->treo 650 -> treo 700p -> treo 755p
    I would LIKE to use Outlook but my Treo refuses to sync with the Outlook calendar. Also, I don't like how Outlook changes all my numbers to (XXX) XXX-XXXX. I've always stored my numbers in my Palm as XXX.XXX.XXXX.

-M-
    My Treo: Treo 650, Sprint CDMA. SW: 1.08, HW: A.
    My Plan: $105/mo for 2000 AT, Unlimited N&W starting at 7pm, Unlimited PCS to PCS, No Roaming Charges in the U.S., Unlimited PCS Vision, Unlimited SMS & PictureMail.
    My Stats: Using an average of 50MB of PCS Vision per month. 2,500+ photos in my PCS PictureMail account. Had a Treo 600 since 10/24/03, switched to a Treo 650 on 1/5/05.
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by modma
    Also, I don't like how Outlook changes all my numbers to (XXX) XXX-XXXX. I've always stored my numbers in my Palm as XXX.XXX.XXXX.

-M-
    Just wondering why this is a no-no for you? Is there that much of a difference? We are in the states and the europeans are the only ones that keep their numbers like that.
    Outlook is as prevalent as Windows. It is everywhere. It is part of Microsoft's plan to dominate the world. Same reason people use Linux instead of Windows, Firefox instead of IE - they may be better, but the market is so small that by sheer size Microsoft eats them up. Websites start popping up with Active-X controls that only IE support - document formats you cant edit in anything but a Microsoft app (like Word, Excel and Powerpoint) - it is all a conspiracy. Really.

Outlook is a more robust email client, with rules, profiles, multiple accounts, certificates, signatures etc. Its contact and task and notes apps integrate into email, so for example you can assign tasks and get progress reports back via email. Because of their dominance in so many other fields, Microsoft has been able to position Outlook into a dominant PIM position, so much so that PalmOne was forced to include Outlook conduits in its package.

I also like the fact that all the stuff is stored in a single PST file, which makes it easy to back up and use on other computers.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Me and my wife both use Treo's.

In Palm desktop you can switch easily between 2 profiles and sync without a problem.

Is it possible to do the same way with Outlook to maintain 2 seperate profiles and not mixing them into one single profile for contact / calender etc etc ?

Does anybody also prefer to use "Beyond contact" in stead of Agendus with Outlook ?

It is always better to have one desktop program (e.g. Outlook) for maintaining contact / address book or calender and emailing . May be Palm desktop can try to integrate emailing into that.

Has anybody succesfully able to sync their Yahoo address / calender with their Palm / outlook PIM ? I used to be able to do that earlier but Intellisync no longer does it for me. (Again I'm talking about Sync not imoprt/export.)

I really miss that beacuse now I do not have any web based email program which I can sync with my Treo PIM.
    Treo, I love you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I really love using Outlook to hotsync except it doesn't support private records. All my password protected memos are exposed in Outlook.
    The reason I dumped Outlook and now use Thunderbird for email and Palm Desktop for all else is IMAP email. Outlook 2003 does a horrible job with it. If Chatteremail is on and I'm connected to my account, I get a weird idle timeout error pops up in Outlook and it is persistent. It has a problem having more than one device/computer pinging the IMAP account. This is a known issue for Outlook, but with no viable solution. I've troubleshooted this to no avail. If I can successfully get this problem fixed, I'd go back to Outlook right away, and I'd even be inclined to buy Beyond Contacts since it looks just like Outlook.
    Last edited by lawilson2; 05/02/2005 at 05:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgarza
    I use outlook so my email and email addresses can be on the same program.
    I agree...this is a major time saver for me. If you hotsync with the palm desktop, I am constantly copying and pasting emails when Im at home from the palm desktop to outlook express (or any other email program.)

Having it sync all to one is great.

If palm desktop came up with their own email program...I would probably switch back to it. Like someone has already mentioned...the calendar portion of palm desktop is much 'simpler' and easier to use.
    To answer the question about how to use Outlook for more than one Palm and set of Outlook data, here is how you accomplish that. To do this you need to go to Windows Preferences and select the Mail preferences. In there you can create a new profile. Then as you set up yours and your wifes hotsync profiles and you sync with Outlook the first time, it will ask you what profile to use. Select the appropriate profile and click the more options button. From there you can check the always use this profile checkbox. Do the same with your wifes Palm and then when she syncs her Palm it will sync her Outlook profile and your Palm will sync to your Outlook profile. To make it easier to switch profiles, you can set up preferences in Outlook to always ask you to select a profile when you start Outlook.
    bit_bucket
    I sync at home with Palm Desktop. (KISS philosophy -- one less third party conduit.) I had been using the Franklin Covey desktop because I was "raised" in a Franklin Covey planner organization and I liked the TO DO function with prioritized ABC and 123 functionality. However, continued Hot Sync issues with other applications finally lead me to dump the Franklin Covey software for the Palm Desktop.

I use Outlook at work - but did not want to sync there with Outlook, as I did not want all my personnel appointments and contacts residing on the company server.

I can work through Versa-Mail on the road with my company Outlook server -- so all my contacts are in one place -- my TREO -- which is then backed up to my Palm Desktop.

I guess it all comes down to what works for you and what you are comfortable with and what side issues led you to your current configuration and preferences.

Cheers, Perry
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Just wondering why this is a no-no for you? Is there that much of a difference? We are in the states and the europeans are the only ones that keep their numbers like that.
    I find it easier and more uniform than (XXX) XXX-XXXX. Besides, I add many entries on my Treo directly and it is definitely easier to type XXX.XXX.XXXX than dealing with Option keys.

Furthermore, I use 24-hour time (13:30 instead of 1:30pm) and European style dates (2.5.05 instead of 5/2/05) so I guess that explains my inherent liking of the number style.

-M-
    My Treo: Treo 650, Sprint CDMA. SW: 1.08, HW: A.
    My Plan: $105/mo for 2000 AT, Unlimited N&W starting at 7pm, Unlimited PCS to PCS, No Roaming Charges in the U.S., Unlimited PCS Vision, Unlimited SMS & PictureMail.
    My Stats: Using an average of 50MB of PCS Vision per month. 2,500+ photos in my PCS PictureMail account. Had a Treo 600 since 10/24/03, switched to a Treo 650 on 1/5/05.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky3333
    I really love using Outlook to hotsync except it doesn't support private records. All my password protected memos are exposed in Outlook.
    Agree... I tried Outlook, but it does not seem to work well if you need certain features of the Palm OS.

Palm also looks better IMO. Find info better, etc.
    I don't use outlook... Long time Palm PIM user (since the very early days of the US Robotics Palm Professional)

One good thing about avoiding Outlook, is you can also avoid some of those nasty viruses written to take over Outlook and make it broadcast your confidential e-mails to your entire address book. Personally, I use Pegasus -- and have NEVER had a virus do anything destructive with my e-mail. I also appreciate Pegasus' total manual control over my e-mail account.

Then I just use my Treo's Versamail when I need to read my e-mail on the go...
    I wanted to purge my address book of inactive information, contacts and emails. Best way was using plaxo from plaxo.com. However, it only works with Outlook!! Damn!

Anyhow, Palm Desktop rocks because it was so simple and easy to use. Outlook 2003 was tricky. However, I customized, modified, and tailtored it to be as easy and less confusing as possible by eliminating menus and buttons that were useless to me. After a few months, I've grown to like Outlook 2003 but I like the layout better than old Outlook versions. I just like being able to use plaxo to keep contacts/info fresh and backed up online, manage hotmail, pop and imap mail, and archive old emails while keeping calendar, contacts good.

Phys User
    Our corporate security policy prohibits MSIE, Outlook and MS Office. I still haven't found a PIM to match my needs as well as Lotus Organizer but since IBM bought Lotus not much effort has been made to market it and it's market share decreases substantially each year.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast