Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    well i just tried it and it did not work. I think this would be more scientific if everyone posted their carrier and phone type. Mine:

treo 650 gsm unlocked
    t-mobile.
    Quote Originally Posted by makrotonik
    well i just tried it and it did not work. I think this would be more scientific if everyone posted their carrier and phone type. Mine:

treo 650 gsm unlocked
    t-mobile.
    Weird you are the only one it didn't work for.

When you say "it did not work" you mean the call went straight to VM?

I am using Treo 650 GSM UL 1.23 on Rogers Wireless.
    Soylent Green Is People

My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
    Stream some Shoutcast tunes and try it.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by makrotonik

treo 650 gsm unlocked
    t-mobile.
    Well I don't know about being scientific, but i'm using a cingular treo on cingular.
    Since no one else suggested it, the best thing to do is a "warm reset".

To do this, just hold the 5-way in the "up" position and hit the reset button. Release the 5 way when the reset is finished. When you do this, all hacks, background processes, etc. are disabled. It lasts until the next reset. This is what I would do if I was waiting for an important call.

(Note, this is NOT the same thing as a "hard reset", which erases all your data. Don't do that)
    wait, the treo can connect to the internet?
    Quote Originally Posted by tangible
    when I try to do this and then hit the Disconnect button, it says, "To complete this request you must connect to the Internet. OK?". Talk about Catch 22!
    No, not Catch-22 at all. That prompt is coming from one of the applications that you have just cut off from the network. Since you have just told it to prompt you whenever it wants to connect, it's now doing exactly that!
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    hmm wonder it if is t-mo...
    when i am streaming shoutcast, downloading email or browser i don't even get a sms till a break in the data flow....

unlocked on t-mobile
    Folks,

I used to have Sprint, and now I have GSM with Cingular. I was using my laptop connected with PDANet and a call came right through while I was downloading e-mail. That never happaned with Sprint.

So the GSM treo most certainlly can receive calls while in a data connection...

Glenn
    Oh where, oh where has our meyerweb gone?
    Oh where, oh where can he be?

Hopefully writing checks to American Red Cross.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Oh where, oh where has our meyerweb gone?
    Oh where, oh where can he be?
    Probably tied to a stick in the middle of a cornfield...... At least that's what I used to say I was doing (eating crow) when I was absolutely sure of something that turned out to be false. Not that we all haven't found ourselves there before one time or another.

No I look at it a different way....now I say.....no one is ever wrong....one of us is just misinformed.
    I resemble those remarks. I generally have a pile of black feathers around me at most times.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    I'll take that bet. I just did exactly that - went to DSL Report's speed test and initiated a 600Kb test. When it got to about 100Kb, I called myself from my home phone, and it rang straight to the phone. I also tried it a second time, this time hitting the "Reject" button as it rang, and Blazer picked up right where it had paused when it rang.

Just send the money to the American Red Cross.
    Very interesting. I have a friend with a Cingular 650, and we tried this a month or two ago when another thread on the subject was going on. His phone went straight to voicemail. We tried it again yesterday, based on your comments above. It went straight to voicemail again.

I wonder what the diffrence is?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    the question is, is it worth the extra money per month?
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Very interesting. I have a friend with a Cingular 650, and we tried this a month or two ago when another thread on the subject was going on. His phone went straight to voicemail. We tried it again yesterday, based on your comments above. It went straight to voice mail again.

I wonder what the difference is?
    That's strange to have such different results. I've repeated mine several times yesterday, including one unintended "interruption" while playing on the web, and every time it put the call through, and after hanging up, I'd go back to the web where I had left off. Definitely not multi-tasking in the background, but a clean interrupt and reconnect.

Quote Originally Posted by wballz33
    the question is, is it worth the extra money per month?
    For some of us it's a "no choice" situation. When we moved, we lost almost all reception (voice and data) through Sprint, and had to switch to Cingular. I was lucky and got in during January while they still had unlimited media.net for $19.95 per month. AT least in our area, I've found Cingular's GSM to be better voice quality. They also have much more extensive coverage (not necessarily with GPRS/Edge service, but hey, no roaming charge). I can pretty much travel anywhere in Texas, New Mexico & Oklahoma and maintain voice contact, while venturing off the main highways with Sprint often left me without service.

Plus, we have more "free" M2M contacts already on Cingular or AT&T, and the family sharing plan, with rollover minutes, is cheaper than Sprint was (at least for me). I hate that term "free" when it comes to M2M, because that $80 per month base charge doesn't seem free.

As you'll note, most of the benefits to Cingular are voice service related, but at least in our area (Midland, TX) Edge service and speeds are generally better (10-20% maybe) than Sprint was. So, overall, despite the higher cost, I'd say Cingular beats Sprint. Now, if I were one of those poor guys stuck on Cingular's $40+ per month data plans, I'm sure I'd be dissing them too.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    I wonder what the diffrence is?
    Could it be EDGE? I wonder if non-EDGE connections tie up the "line" where EDGE does not.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    tangible -

Another thing you can do with Chatter is to limit the amount of data being transferred. Just edit the account or mailbox delivery pref, and change the default load to something smaller than 2500 bytes. Another thing I do is to shutdown Chatter unless I am away from laptop or traveling. I don't use Sprint BC - but I know it only works when your computer is on and the desktop redirector is running. Why do you need to use this if you have Chatter?
    My question is slightly off topic... Does Sprint offer GSM Treo 650 units? This thread got me interested in this now. Thanks, Casey.
    Sprint isn't a GSM carrier, so no, they don't offer the GSM Treo 650.

EV-DO is SUPPOSED to change the network strucutre such that a call can ring through during a data session. The problem is, it's up in the air as to whether that functionality will be enabled on 1xRTT devices (like the Treo), or whether they will enable it only for EV-DO. The CDMA netowrk CAN do it, it just needs to be configured that way by the carrier.
    Thanks for the information...I'll just stick with Sprint for now. Hard to beat their $15 flat unlimited monthly rate.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast