Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by h2osho
    I have NOT done any firmware updates.

I am NOT a total "tech" or a "geek" as some may say.

I AM your TYPICAL salesman who is on the road most of the day and out of the office. So I need to check emails and my company website.

I choose THIS phone OVER the Blackberry for several reasons. I WANT to KEEP it fo rseveral reason and I"m willing to "work with it".

PLease understand for all those who "eat and sleep" this forum. Many do NOT. The manual is remedial for many fixes. I have went to a "few" website (ie. Palmwarez, Shadowmite,etc...) But THESE are

NOT written for the AVERAGE guy to understand within reason or remotely "remedial
    ".

I don't live and breathe the Treo. I simply want solid coverage with a "good" phone. AND

AND
    AND The PDA capabilities that were marketed to me.

And I love it for everything...but a phone at this point. Dropped calls, poor reception. I only wish or "knew" of a way to get beeter reception.

Period.

And POST do NOT equal SEARCHES.

Posts are post. I don't or shouldn't have to "pad" my numbers to get respect.
    Some were only trying to help you. The Cingular update is an authorized Palm update and fully legit.
    http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do...ilUpdater.html
    And when it comes to GSM, you always have to check first to see if your area is covered well, GSM in the US is still a bit sketchy.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Yes, Pabo, really.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    well as my cingular 650 is working like a charm, as a pda and as a phone. volume is fine coming from the earpeice. sometimes the earpiece is not positioned right into your ear, try moving the phone a bit. i also thought that the vol sucked till i moved the phone around. as for reception, it all depends on where your at in your coverage area. try taking the phone back, maybe a bad phone??
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    Now, if you have an extra SD card (bigger than 32MB) and an SD card reader, and you feel up to it, give the 1.23 beta firmware a try.
    Actually, you don't need a card that's that big because the update files total only 10.8 MB. I did it with an old 16 MB MMC.

Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    It fixes a LOT of issues.
    Including phone audio problems of the type the OP is experiencing.
    Befor I switched to Treo 650 I had various Sony Ericsson phones. There's absolutey no difference in the hearing quality on my Treo compared with the Ericsson phones. My Treo has excellent hearing quality. Could this be an operator issue?
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    There are sufficient threads that discuss obvious manufacturing defects. Return the device for replacement if it does not meet your specs, and if the replacement is no better, return for your money back.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Just back from a week in Spain where my reception was GREAT everywhere!!
    Now I'm back in Cincinnati and it sucks rocks just like before!
    Quote Originally Posted by votm
    h2osho,

You are absolutely correct about the 650 being a great pda and poor phone.

I too made that observation long ago, and was met with derision, redicule, and general disdain (as you yourself have experienced.)
    I was even banned for daring to criticize anything related to the Treo, even though I like the device.

I solved it by having two "phones": the 650, and a "real" phone that does the phone functions. And it work very well.

You will be much happier this way.

I disagree, the Treo does both very well and considering that Palm is working on fixing the major issue with it, says the PDA will be more stable. There really isn't anything like this PDA as far as conceptually. What else can you use that does all interent functions, phone functions, PIM, in a small package? There isn't anything as good for doing the "whole" package. I will work with the issues because I know it's a great combo. Some people just don't have the patience or the time to get it right.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    I also think the earpiece is a little low. On the PDA2k the earpiece is one of the best I've heard. But the other hardware on the Treo rocks. I love that keyboard.
    My grandmother often remarked that those who try to be all things to all people are generally "Jacks of all trades, but masters of none." That said, I think the Treo 650 is a "Jack of several trades, and a master of some." I love the device.

I own an iMate JAM with the 128 MB memory upgrade. The volume on that device is stellar. The speaker phone, earpiece and the headset all work extremely well. By contrast, my PalmOne unlocked Treo 650, while not having quite shoddy sound, is not as good. So, why is my Treo my preferred device?

1. The signal strength is better in comparison to my JAM. In my garage, my JAM loses all signal. I can still make a call on my Treo. That's a good thing for a phone.

2. My Treo tends to retain its network connection when my JAM drops calls. That's a good thing for a phone.

3. It's easier to use the thumb keyboard (personal preference) that the stylus. That is a limitation of the JAM.

Now, that said, the JAM is also a great device. I use it as a backup. The catch is, I use a Mac and the JAM is a Windows product. So, I wouldn't go so far as to say the Treo 650 is a lousy phone. There are better "phones" out there. I would say the Treo 650 is overall the best of the convergent devices for a good number of people out there.
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2
    I disagree, the Treo does both very well and considering that Palm is working on fixing the major issue with it, says the PDA will be more stable. There really isn't anything like this PDA as far as conceptually. What else can you use that does all interent functions, phone functions, PIM, in a small package? There isn't anything as good for doing the "whole" package. I will work with the issues because I know it's a great combo. Some people just don't have the patience or the time to get it right.
    You're entitled to you opinion, but...

"Some people just don't have the patience or the time to get it right"

That is somewhat of an arrogant statement, as if you don't go with the one device solution, you aren't smart enough to figure it out.

I would say it's more like:

"People don't have the patience or time for PalmOne to get it right."

Some people use the two device solution because it works better than just the single device.
  12. gw1
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I spent a couple of years using a Sidekick as a phone - after that the Treo is just fantastic! And I haven't had to get it replaced once (in 2 years, I had my Sidekick replaced no fewer than 7 times)
    Quote Originally Posted by juice
    I also think the earpiece is a little low. On the PDA2k the earpiece is one of the best I've heard. But the other hardware on the Treo rocks. I love that keyboard.

Juice how did you like the PDA2k keyboard in comparison? Also what is that pda in your avatar? Thanks. Mike
    I have to disagree. I recently switched over from an old LG to a treo 600. I got a Bell Canada phone and followed the FAQ instructions and got it running on Verizon and installed the Verizon firmware. This was all VERY simple to do. I know very little about computers and nothing about programming phones.

I also managed to DL backupbuddy, ptunes, documents to go, four.0 student, Pdareach, Ringo Pro etc for free within an hour.

The treo works much better than my LG did and gets much better reception. I have absolutely no complaints.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12