Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I made a detailed Wiki entry. Feel free to add comments or your own experiences.
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    I made a detailed Wiki entry. Feel free to add comments or your own experiences.
    Hello 100thMonkey

Looks really promising. I might actually try myselves assisted by your detailed description of the method.

Have you thought of making some alternative, but stripped ROM's for us novices - making them available for download (just like Shadows Customized ROM's for Sprint...).
    It would of cause be much easier if I just had to add apps to a customized ROM
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
    Great descriptive instructions! I will be doing this when the official rom is released. 1.25 I think it is.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks, I wanted to make sure that they were thorough

@ jorang,

interesting idea. Know anybody that wants to host them?

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    I could possibly create a free site for hosting such files.
    Limited to 30MB, but how is that for a start?
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
    Not clear on step 6 "Download the ROM" - how and where are you downloading the ROM? (assume its from Treo650 after hard reset)
    godness me, another shadowmite ... impressive!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by wood930
    Not clear on step 6 "Download the ROM" - how and where are you downloading the ROM? (assume its from Treo650 after hard reset)
    if you do a search for "1.23", you will find several threads that have that in the title. Or, just look in the Treo 650 for a thread with that in the title....remember these are pre-release

I finally got the custom rom tool from Shadowmite (with 100th Monkey's instructions to work). I couldn't figure it out yesterday and ended up trying to do the process manually by opening the zip file and taking out the files I wanted to delete...this does NOT work.
    The main reason why I couldn't figure out how it works is because I missed a vital step- the Custom Rom tool and all accompanying .dll files must be moved to the same folder as the Rom download.
    I chose to remove all the Versamail, Realplayer and language files to get extra space. The language files are really tedious to remove, because you must go through each listing and remove anything ending in a lanuage that is not English (enUS), like deDe, frFR, itIT, esSp, etc.
    I added Agendus and Snappermail. That was all I could get to fit comfortably without having the time to experiment with a whole bunch of other settings. I tried Avantgo and some others at first, but then the file size was too big.
    All in all, it was a good experience. The instructions are very detailed and clear. Again, the only thing that was not immediately apparent to me was to move the Tool to the Rom folder.
    It felt amazing to see Agendus,DocsToGo and Snapper already installed and have my available memory still be at 98% free! Of course, that was before I hotsynced to restore my data.
    I should also point out that as I am at work, I used Card Export 2 to get the files onto my SD Card. It works fine, except that I now cannot use my SD card until I get home and can use my card reader to delete the ROM Update.
    Thanks guys!
    Last edited by lulugirl896; 05/03/2005 at 12:42 PM.
    Mobi·gas·mic!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by lulugirl896
    Again, the only thing that was not immediately apparent to me was to move the Tool to the Rom folder.
    hmmm, I wonder if that will address the issue that I noted where the ROM file should be placed in the root directory. I will look at that this evening. Thanks for the feedback

hmmm, I wonder if that will address the issue that I noted where the ROM file should be placed in the root directory. I will look at that this evening. Thanks for the feedback
    In all fairness, a lot of people have been able to figure this out with no problem, so it might just be me..
    Mobi·gas·mic!
  12.    #12  
    sure, but elegence through parsimony leading ubiqutous comprehension is preferable

sure, but elegence through parsimony leading ubiqutous comprehension is preferable
    Ummm, yeah, that too!
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    100thMonkey, thanks a million. Your guide is thorough and easy to follow. Made myself a stripped down ROM like shadowmite has for the 650 in about 25 mins total. I customized version 1.23. I am ecstatic!

You and shadowmite rock!
    i was able to use 100thmonkey's instructions to customize a bare fw install as a test....

i took out the files outlined in the master file description list.

aside from adding them manually, how can one update the list to include the unlocked gsm files? i would be willing to do this if it isn't to tedious to add them to the document.
  16.    #16  
    @ palmemployee

thank you

@ roguenj

I am glad that you found it useful, and actually Ohmster may be providing such an updated list soon

hey thanks, i will keep an eye out for an updated list
    Wow, this is great! I just customized my ROM! The one thing 100thMonkey left out (or maybe I got antsy) is for GSM users to remove ALL language files except for the one you plan to use. I didn't see it in your Wiki but it was mentined in Lulugirls' post. Anyway, it worked like a charm.

Thank you so much. The interesting piece is I originally tried this on my mac, and Shadowmite's program doesn't work that well. I then did it on my PC perfectly. So watch out Mac users.
    100thMonkey, one confusing part of your Wiki. Step #34. You mention the tilda (~) symbol representing too many items. However, there's always a tilda symbol in that center area (I stripped my ROM down and it was still there).

Now I'm thinking you meant a tilda symbol where it says "About ~xxxx available". NOT "XXXXX of ~7130000"
    FYI, I copied ActNames.prc (Agendus Pro 9.0.4), ZLauncher.prc, and AcidImage.prc into my new ROM. It showed 32497 still available. Going to see if Filez or something small will also fit.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast