Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FullThrotleDave
    The full Rom includes all the languages available and would not fit into ROM, thus they make you choose the language before installing.
    The install does not drop all the files for the other languages. After installing, you will be asked to select your default language every time you do a hard reset.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    I build a custom ROM, and it tells me I have "About 331291 available". Fine, so I add Filez.prc, which is 182k unzipped. I rebuild the ROM, and now it says I have "About 261812 available".

Why does T650ROM.exe measure everything in its zipped size? Are files actually zipped in ROM? Is it safe to add to a custom ROM until T650ROM says "About 0 available"?
    I took the unaltered 1.23 and clicked build it to get the size. It gave me a (-) negative number immediatly. I wrote down the number and used it as a reference. I assumed (probally wrong) that the rom tool from shadowmite was measuring the size from the sprint model and the unlocked GSM model had a bigger rom due to all the languages it had to support. as long as I stayed under my Reference size everything worked fine, even though the rom tool said I was over.
    So far, I got Beyond Contacts and almost all of documents to go on the Rom. The only part of Documents to go, not able to install on the rom, I was able to put on the storage card (wordtogo, sheetstogo.).
    It is amazing how much space is taken up by the language file. Just about every prc had overlay in every language.

Thank you for taking the time to write the instructions. Very easy to follow, and well worth the 20 mins to do.

Tripp
  4.    #44  
    interesting...
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Well,

I have an unlocked, unbranded GSM phone purchased from P1.

I made a custom ROM according to the Wiki and the process of flashing the ROM went fine.

Everything works on the Palm side, but I get an error message "not enough power to turn on the phone" when I try to turn on the phone. I have seen that others in this thread report a similar problem. My phone was at 60% power when this happened.

Ok, so I thought I would reflash a pure 1.23 ROM, but the screen with the updater comes on and I get to the screen where the progress bar appears at the bottom, but then the Treo goes into an endless loop of resets. I tried with two different SD cards -- same results.

I tried to reflash with a 1.21 ROM using the hotsync method, but just like process described in the preceding paragraph, the Treo goes into its endless loop.

When I hard reset the Treo, I get back into my custom ROM fine and everything works on the Palm side once again -- except I can't get the phone to turn on and get the abovementioned error "not enough power to turn on the phone."

Any ideas???

Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by wmadan
    Ok, so I thought I would reflash a pure 1.23 ROM, but the screen with the updater comes on and I get to the screen where the progress bar appears at the bottom, but then the Treo goes into an endless loop of resets. I tried with two different SD cards -- same results.

I tried to reflash with a 1.21 ROM using the hotsync method, but just like process described in the preceding paragraph, the Treo goes into its endless loop.

Any ideas???
    So you've tried the 1.23 SD method, and the 1.21 Hotsync method, but have you tried the 1.21 SD method?
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    No, I haven't tried the 1.21. SD method because I couldn't find a link to the files. The 1.21 ROM zip I found was for the hotsync method. I would be eager to try the SD method if I someone could point me to the right link to get that zip.

Thanks,

Bill
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Jetkins,

Thanks. I got those files and they didn't work either.

So, I called PalmOne and they told me to exchange it for a new one at my West L.A. PalmOne retail store since it had been less than 30 days since I bought it.

I have had experience flashing ROMS before on PDAs -- most recently with the Sharp Zaurus, but also with a Sony Clie, where I did the same thing I tried to do with the Treo. I thought I was *experienced*, was very careful with how I went about doing things, but I won't be building a custom ROM again anytime soon.

Bill
    Was there any resolution on why some folks get the negative number when doing a custom ROM. I tried this myself, and I get a negative number even if I strip and don't add anything else to the ROM.

I'd love to give this a try, but I'm not experienced and do not want to risk damaging my phone.

By the way, I've downloaded the ROM tool and the 1.2.3 FW twice to make sure it wasn't corrupt....same result.

Thanks for your help.
    I did the same thing. Read my reply a couple up. As long as you don't go over the - number from the original 1.23, it will go fine. I had never done it before this either. Now I have flashed it over 5 times trying to find the right combination of programs in the rom. Good Luck Camil.

Tripp
    So are you saying that the (-) negative number is in essence the amount or room I have available? I should install apps as long as the combined total of the apps does not exceed the (-) negative number and it will work fine?

If you can confirm this, I will go ahead a give it a shot. In the meantime I will try using the mac tool to compile the ROM and see if I get different results when I get to work.
    Can someone tell me what I need to do to change the splash screen in a custom rom? I know I can just install a phone overlay into ram, but I'd much rather have it built into the rom.
  14.    #54  
    Shadowmite posted some GSM ROM's I made on his site if people are interested

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

100th Monkey thank you for creating the custom ROM's. Quick question on Shadowmites page there are no descriptions for the 3 ROM's. What differs between them?

thanks
  16.    #56  
    3rd post in this thread

http://shadowmite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=488

and you're quite welcome

Good dealie, now I see why Agendus Pro (not mail) did not work with Custom #3. The todo was not synching according to the synch log and Agendus Pro would not start due to a database error. I installed Custom #2 and it works perfect now.

I do need a calculator though time to look around for some freeware.

Since I upgraded i have not had a single crash and its good to finally have some space!
  18.    #58  
    for a calculator, check out snapcalc

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    OK, I took the plunge and did a custom rom for myself. I started with 100thMonkey's custom ROM #3 and added worldclock and Memopad back in. Added Snapcalc, Snapper, Adobe Reader, Bluefiles, Zlauncher, my zlauncher theme and some other stuff. The only thing that puzzles me is ZLauncher.

Now I'm not an expert on PalmOS, so please bear with me here.

As I understand it, any file placed in ROM is copied to RAM when executed, and purged when quit, is that correct?

If there's any changes made to a file that's stored in ROM, it's copied into RAM, and the copy in ROM essintially becomes redundant. Is this correct?

I look at Snappermail using the built in file browser that ZLauncher has. It says the size is 732K(ROM) + 293K. I assume that this means the the main PRC is in the ROM and that's the 732K. The 293K is the attendant databases (settings, mail and whathaveyou) which are stored in RAM. Is that correct?

Now, ZLauncher says it's using 470K(ROM) + 1545K. Does this mean that has 1545K of attendant databases and such or had zlauncher copied itself into RAM? Is it pointless to try and install Zlauncher or it's themes in ROM?
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    I made a detailed Wiki entry. Feel free to add comments or your own experiences.
    so... where does your wiki reside now? I found a cached version @ google but that may not be up to date.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast