1.    #1  
    Folks,

I'm looking into the Sprint international roaming packages and noticed that they offer a few GSM phones whereby they will send you the SIM for use overseas (i.e. not U.S.). That got me to thinking...

Has anyone here been successfull in getting Sprint to send them a SIM card for a GSM Treo? The treo is indeed a quad-band, so I don't think there are any technical reasons for not getting it to work, but It seems to me that it should be possible, but then again, I'm not a cell-phone tech guru.

Any one have experience with this or the international roaming options?

Thanks,

CrashNBurns

P.S. A link to one of their quad-band offerings can be found here.
    Last edited by CrashNBurns; 05/01/2005 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Fixed title.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Sprint uses CDMA and it's a totally different radio chipset than the GSM unit. Besides, Sprint has strict roaming rules for most plans, so even if you did get a GSM SIM from Sprint, if you spent 100% of your minutes on a GSM network in the states, they would probably slam you with overages. I think you can only roam for 50% of your plan minutes averaged over several months.
    FWIW
    Quote Originally Posted by jberger
    Sprint uses CDMA and it's a totally different radio chipset than the GSM unit. Besides, Sprint has strict roaming rules for most plans, so even if you did get a GSM SIM from Sprint, if you spent 100% of your minutes on a GSM network in the states, they would probably slam you with overages. I think you can only roam for 50% of your plan minutes averaged over several months.
    FWIW

Suggest you read the full post.... Overseas Sprint does use GSM. They either sell you their phone, or a sim. I see no technical reason why it will not work. When I looked into this with Sprint they indicated that they wouldn't guarantee the use of any phone other than theirs. Also, they wanted to charge me $40 for a sim (gee I pay $20 for them in europe), and a $6.00 / mo fee for the privledge of international roaming.

Final note, Sprint International GSM roaming does not allow for data (GPRS), so if you're looking for that, Sprint isn't the way to go.
  4.    #4  
    BoeingPilot, thanks for that info -- I'll try giving them a call today to see what I can work out.

The issue is that I already have Sprint (am quite happy with it as well), so I'm not looking to switch. I *want* to get a phone with bluetooth, and Sprint only offers 2. I also do some occasional business travel to the U.K. and it's a pain to 'borrow' the company phone every time I travel.

I was just looking for a way to combine all my requirements into one (i.e. Sprint, Bluetooth, GSM for travel).

Thanks again,

- CrashNBurns
    It sounds like you're wanting to use a GSM Treo with a Sprint SIM in UK, then when you come back use the same phone on Sprints network here.
    Sprint's network here is CDMA and not at all compatible with GSM.
    If that's what you're suggesting you would need two different Treos, a GSM version and a Sprint CDMA version.
    Crash,

I have a Sprint SIM card for international roaming. The service won't work in the US - the phone (not a treo but an unlocked Moto V505) displays "SIM Unregistered". Sprint indicated that is correct and they don't have roaming agreements with any US GSM carriers - the service is designed strictly for overseas use.

The card is $36 and Sprint charges $6/mo plus roaming at $1.50/min. I looked into one of those country specific pre-paid SIMs but where I will be travelling those cards have even higher roaming fees than Sprint, plus you don't have to constantly re-charge Sprint's SIM since it is post-billed to you Sprint account, you get to keep your same cell number when traveling, and it works in multiple countries.

-Juan
    Quote Originally Posted by Primate
    It sounds like you're wanting to use a GSM Treo with a Sprint SIM in UK, then when you come back use the same phone on Sprints network here.
    Sprint's network here is CDMA and not at all compatible with GSM.
    Uhh, you misunderstand AGAIN. the OP appears to fully understand the differences between GSM and CDMA. Spritn however, does offer sims for international roaming ONLY using the same PCS account. You can either buy a GSM phone from Sprint (yes, they sell GSM phones for overseas used, see http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/co...ntlWelcome.jsp .

If that's what you're suggesting you would need two different Treos, a GSM version and a Sprint CDMA version.
    I believe that's what he expected.

And to answer the OP's question: yes, Sprint will give you a GSM sim card for international roaming without having to buy the GSM phone directly from them. they do not sell the GSM treo, but you can buy it and use their SIM card with it if you like. There's a one-time actvation fee of $36, and a monthly fee of $6 for this option.
  8.    #8  
    Primate -- yup, I understand that GSM in the US is not supported by Sprint. I'm looking for a phone which supports both GSM and CDMA so that I can use CDMA here in the states and GSM overseas. Sprint actually has a phone which works this way (i.e. the Samsung A790), it's just not the one I want! ;->

jumguia -- Yeah, that's good to know; it's along the lines of how I thought it would work.

I just got off the phone with Sprint and they told me that if I did have a phone which supported both GSM and CDMA, they would allow me to have the SIM card (i.e. just like you stated, jumguia).

What I really need to know now is if the Palm One GSM Treo is locked to GSM ONLY or can the user select CDMA as well? If it does, then my problem is solved -- I can get the P1 GSM Treo (unlocked) and then register it here in the U.S. with Sprint as CDMA, and get an overseas GSM card for when I travel.

Anyone here with an unlocked GSM Treo who can verify whether or not CDMA network is user selectable?

Thanks,

- CrashNBurns
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    CrashNBurns - can't do it, the GSM Treo 650 does not have the CDMA chipset in it, as jberger implied. Likewise, the CDMA Treo 650 does not have the GSM chipset in it. The two phones are different at a hardware level, and there is almost certainly no way to circumvent that limitation.
    You're unlikely to find a phone that will combine CDMA and international GSM. GSM uses four frequency bands - 850/900/1800/1900MHz - and while the rest of the world uses the 900 and 1800MHz bands, the US and Canadian carriers use the 850 and 1900MHz bands. So a CDMA/GSM phone sold for the American market will not work overseas unless it's has a tri- or quad-band GSM radio. The Treo650 is quad-band, and thus is truly a "world phone." See http://www.answers.com/topic/gsm-frequency-ranges for more information.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    You're unlikely to find a phone that will combine CDMA and international GSM.
    This phone offerd by sprint has it.....

http://www.sprint.com/business/produ...lPcsPhones.jsp
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Fittske
    Cool. Figures they would have something, since they offer the service.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fittske

http://www.sprint.com/business/produ...lPcsPhones.jsp
    And if it had bluetooth, then I would probably get it!

- CrashNBurns