Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. jes
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Vindigo used to work just fine on my Treo 300, but on my Treo 650, Vindigo often disappears. This requires Vindigo reinstallation, only to happen again. Here is a letter that I submitted to Vindigo. I am throwing the weight of this forum at Vindigo with hope for a response, since they've absolutely ignored me in the past.

"I have a Treo 650, and often the Vindigo program disappears completely. This has been going on for quite a while with me, and with other Treo 650 users (as the forums tell). Is there a fix for this problem?

Vindigo is about 50 % useable for me in this state.

I went to Chicago last week. I added Chicago and did a wireless sync. Then Vindigo was gone.

Please respond with a fix soon, as many of us forum members are waiting for your answer. "

My reference number for my question is '050501-000066'.

There is a thread on this forum that discusses this problem: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...digo+disappear.
    I was looking at the Vindigo site and they dont list the Treos as supported

http://www.vindigostudios.com/produc...get.jsp?vcom=y

You choose your Carrier, the Vindigo app, and it lists the phones/pdas it is available for. Did I miss something?
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    I looked at that list of phones -- it's just that, a list of phones, but not Palm devices (at all). It's very misleading. The PDA download is available from the left-hand side of the vindigo home page. However, I wasn't able to see what PDA models/smartphones it was compatible with. Does Vindigo advertise anywhere that it's compatible with the 650? I'm hoping it is -- it's a great program (on my Sony Clie, anyway).
    Works fine for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by jes
    Vindigo used to work just fine on my Treo 300, but on my Treo 650, Vindigo often disappears. This requires Vindigo reinstallation, only to happen again. Here is a letter that I submitted to Vindigo. I am throwing the weight of this forum at Vindigo with hope for a response, since they've absolutely ignored me in the past.

"I have a Treo 650, and often the Vindigo program disappears completely. This has been going on for quite a while with me, and with other Treo 650 users (as the forums tell). Is there a fix for this problem?

Vindigo is about 50 % useable for me in this state.

I went to Chicago last week. I added Chicago and did a wireless sync. Then Vindigo was gone.

Please respond with a fix soon, as many of us forum members are waiting for your answer. "

My reference number for my question is '050501-000066'.

There is a thread on this forum that discusses this problem: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...digo+disappear.
    i have the same problem
    Works fine for me - have problems only if I install on the SD card then try to sync wireless.
    I have the same problem. I just keep restoring from backup when that happens. It's a real pain.
    I made a post re: this a long time ago. Report it to Vindigo. They'll probably ask you for a copy of your sync logs. They asked me, but I had PC issues about that time so never got around to doing it.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
  9. jes
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Response (Vinny) 05/02/2005 04:37 PM
    Hi J,
    Thanks for your message. We hope you had a nice trip to Chicago.

I'm not entirely sure I can solve your problem without knowing more about your specific setup, but I'll see what we can do.

I say this, because there is not a particular problem with the Treo 650 and Vindigo. I use a 650 myself and I don't have any problems with Vindigo. Obviously the PDA tech support forums contain lots of different postings on lots of different topics - as you know there are people out there who actually know what they are talking about and are helpful and great resources. There are also other posters who do not know what they are talking about. I'd never say that the forum is not a good place to search for help, but if you are looking for Vindigo specific help, the easiest and more accurate thing to do is write to Vindigo support. If you are in contact with others who are having problems with Vindigo, I encourage them to contact us as well. We're happy to help.

Now if you added Chicago and didn't delete New York, you could have run into memory issues - depending on how many cities you were using. It looks like when you tried to sync on Tuesday, you tried to sync about 4 Megs of memory at once. That's not usually a problem, but perhaps if your data connection was weak, or you had a number of other applications loaded at the same time, or you received an incoming phone call during the sync - any of those could have effected the transfer. Our server records receiving your request without a problem and sending the information without a problem. That just means that your Treo sent the request without a problem and our server responded without a problem. However, from your message, it sounds like that was the day you encountered the issue, which means that your Treo had difficulty receiving our response.
  10. jes
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    continuing...
    Given the difference in memory from what you were trying to sync priot to your Chicago trip, I think the problem was in fact memory related. I hate to generalize as every device is different, but that's usually the cause of most of these types or problems. You can read more at this link:
    Title: I have a Treo 650, when I sync Vindigo, my Treo crashes or Vindigo disappears from the device. What's wrong?
    URL: http://vindigo.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...401=1115062998

I know this is going to be frustrating for you to hear, but I don't have this problem on my 650 and I regularly sync about 3 cities. However, one of my coworkers also uses a 650 and reports that he has had a problem once or twice and to be safe, when he's adding a number of cities wirelessly, he deletes the old cities and adds one city on his first sync. Then he adds his second and third city and syncs.

Other factors that can be at play include your carrier, and how strong your wireless data signal is.

If you're still having problems after reading all this, please let me know

Best Wishes,
    Vinny
  11. jes
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Thanks for the quick response. I appreciate the memory concerns.
    According to my T650, I have plenty of memory. And I did not wirelessly
    sync all of Chicago, just about half of them. Still, I can imagine that
    more memory is necessary, perhaps more than is stated by the Vindigo
    program. In my opinion, this is still a problem with the software. After
    all, the Vindigo software should know how much memory is available before a
    sync, right? Do you plan on fixing this problem?

Thanks again, this will be helpful to forum users. Please let us know of
    any plans of updates that will address this problem.

Sincerely, Jason
  12. jes
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Response (Vinny) 05/04/2005 11:40 AM
    HI Jason,
    Thanks for getting back to me.

My apologies if I wasn't clearer in explaining the problem. When you sync, our vindigo server reads the amount of information available on your handheld, and it reads the amount of information that you've requested, and then it sends down that information. This happens without a problem.

The memory problem is that with the NVFS memory system on your TREO, the device itself counts memory incorrectly - it sometimes thinks that certain files take up more memory than they actually do. (It counts some files that are very small (<50bytes) as bigger than they are). So, it might think think that your device has 16 Megs and only 5 Megs are free, when in reality 7 Megs should be free. I feel bad laying the blame on the new Palm OS - especially since it has so many advantages, your battery can run out and not lose information, and the new Treo is such a great device, and I love using mine - but that really is the cause of the problem.

So, our software isn't part of this problem - all of the Vindigo files are bigger than the size that is effected. Our server isn't part of the problem - we read the amount of free memory correctly and the amount of Vindigo memory correctly, and we send that amount correctly.

Is that clearer?

Let me know if you still have questions on this, Jason, and I'll be happy to help.

Best wishes,
    Vinny
  13. jes
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Now for my 2 cents. I liked Vindigo's response time to my concerns. I feel these were tough questions and Vindigo responded (to all of us forum members).

However, I am still not satisfied with Vindigo's solution to this problem. Vindigo never mentioned any plan to get to the bottom of the problem and to update the Vindigo software. Doesn't it seem a simple thing for Vindigo to fix? Sound like an If...Then statement to me!

Vindigo needs to fix this problem with a software update (and also take advantage of our nicer screens).
    I wish to echo Jes's observation and frustration. I too use Vindigo on my 650 and am having to re-load it every 3-4 syncs. Please keep us posted of your progress.
    Quote Originally Posted by jes
    Vindigo needs to fix this problem with a software update (and also take advantage of our nicer screens).
    AMEN!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rupertjhc
    I wish to echo Jes's observation and frustration. I too use Vindigo on my 650 and am having to re-load it every 3-4 syncs. Please keep us posted of your progress.
    I haven't had a problem since I last re-installed a couple of weeks ago. But for our part, let's all start to report this so that Vindgo can realize that while the issue may be caused by a change in memory structure, that is no reason for them to not correct their own product to work in this new memory structure.

I for one will definately be contacting Vindigo the next time it crashes. I find that it very upsetting that right when it may come in handy, it doesn't work.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    I noticed that if Zlauncher doesn't close Vindigo properly it will corrupt the file. I just keep a backup with BackupMan and reinstall whenever i have an issue.
    Whoa!! Tell me more! What do you mean by close "properly?"

Is everyone having this issue using ZLauncher? I am. Let's dive further into this and see if we need to take this issue to ZZTechs.
    Well - I'm no expert - but...

When you close out of one program and open another - sometimes you see zLauncher closing the first program before it starts to open the new one. I would notice that if this process gets interuppted the Vindigo files would be corrupted.

I have since re-installed Zlauncher and I haven't had this issue since. I would download and re-install Zlauncher and see if that helps.

Like I said - I always keep a full backup of Vindigo on my card with BackupMan so I can restore the files and the content anytime I run into trouble.
    I just updated to the latest version of ZLauncher. Let's see if that helps.

More feedback from others would be useful.
  20. jes
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Interesting observation...I am also using Z Launcher v5.11 to open Vindigo.

I went to zztechs.com and pulled this off of their website telling of a fix that comes with v5.20: "Added a work around for the problem of backing up every file launched from card, even the files have not been modified, on NVFS devices like Treo650, TT5."

This is somewhat vague...anyone know how to decipher this?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast