Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I would expect it to return after a hotsync since Vindigo's conduit replaces the app when it runs. The problem is I was walking around Manhattan using vindigo when it disappeared. Fortunately I have a backup on my SD card but it is still annoying.

I contacted Vindigo support and they replied stating that the problem has never been reported before and that I must have a corrupt version of the app installed. I plan to point them to this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by rgps
    I contacted Vindigo support and they replied stating that the problem has never been reported before and that I must have a corrupt version of the app installed. I plan to point them to this thread.
    Funny they told you that since they have this on their vindigo.com FAQ list.

I suspect this problem is related to nvfs cache management like other "random/bizarre/unexplainable" events. Unfortunately, I've got no way to prove it since I've never been able to force the disappearance to happen.
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    I notice it happens to me when I do a soft reset. I thought it might be corrupt so I re-installed. So far, so good until it gets corrupted again
    That's what I've seen to which leads me to think it's an n fa cache problem. Vindigo was not explicity updated for the 650 nvfs architecture, so if there is something about it's files that get corrupted or they don't get flushed from ram to nvfs correctly, that would explain why we see the problem right after a soft reset.

If you keep vindigo in ram, I'd lock it in cache with Resco Locker. I run it off the sd card with ZLauncher and do a wireless update when needed. I think either of those are a potential workaround. It hasn't happened to me for 5-6 weeks now.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Has anyone heard anything new from Vindigo on this issue? I submitted a request for information to Vindigo support a few weeks ago and they haven't even had the decency to respond at all. I've had the application disappear suddenly several times in the last month. I've taken to resetting my 650 every morning, which seems to reduce the number of crashes I experience as well as wireless synching Vindigo as recommended in this thread, but the mysterious disappearances continue. I've been a long time user of Vindigo since the old Kyocera 6035, but the last 3 months of hassles with Vindigo on the 650 makes me think I won't be renewing my subscription.
    I have heard nothing from Vindigo either but would echo your sentiment on renewal. Multiple crashes with Vindigo bounced off my 650 at least once per week.
    Man, I have been using Vindingo for years, originally on PocketPC.

When I switched to the Treo, they converted me to Palm version at no charge...

Now I have been using it on the Treo for 1 year without a problem.

It is the best mobile app I have ever purchased.
    If you have Resco Backup or Explorer, there's another way to restore Vindigo quickly when it disappears. If you browse into your backup folder, there are four vindigo zip files: Vindigo, VindigoChannels, VindigoLink, and VindigoPrefs. If you reinstall the files from there, it comes back.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Yep, here's another non-renewal because of the vanishing Vindigo!

~~~ gottago ~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by delta_baggage
    Man, I have been using Vindingo for years, originally on PocketPC.

When I switched to the Treo, they converted me to Palm version at no charge...

Now I have been using it on the Treo for 1 year without a problem.

It is the best mobile app I have ever purchased.
    Are you using it on the Treo 600 or the Treo 650? I used it on a 600 for nearly a year before upgrading to the 650. It worked just fine on the 600 for me. The problem is with the file system of the 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by thomascl
    Are you using it on the Treo 600 or the Treo 650? I used it on a 600 for nearly a year before upgrading to the 650. It worked just fine on the 600 for me. The problem is with the file system of the 650.
    I use it on a Treo 650. I use it just about every day. I have landed in a city, and downloaded that city's data wirelessly over the cellular network instantly (several times). As well as using certain "standard" cities constantly all year.

I use zLauncher to keep it stored on the SD card, and it loads and unloads perfectly every time.

This has been true for a year. Never disappeared--not once.

Of course, I also do firmware (sprint 1.12) updates, so maybe that is a difference.
    No, I have the latest firmware update as well and it still dissappears.

Do you use AvantGo?
    Do you sync w/ your PC?
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckotek
    No, I have the latest firmware update as well and it still dissappears.

Do you use AvantGo?
    Heck no.

Quote Originally Posted by Geckotek
    Do you sync w/ your PC?
    Probably about once a week, at this point.
    I've been wondering for some time if the corruption I'm seeing is related to both AvantGo and Vindigo syncing when I sync via my PC. They have both had issues, and both issues surface after a PC sync.

Seems that when I left AvantGo off for a while, I had fewer issues.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
  15. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delta_baggage
    I use zLauncher to keep it stored on the SD card, and it loads and unloads perfectly every time.
    I didn't think it was possible for Vindigo to be run from the card. If so, maybe this is why yours never disappears, because it's not in RAM. Does your Vindigo receive updates regularly when you sync even though it's not in RAM?
    Quote Originally Posted by PSM
    I didn't think it was possible for Vindigo to be run from the card. If so, maybe this is why yours never disappears, because it's not in RAM. Does your Vindigo receive updates regularly when you sync even though it's not in RAM?
    Yes, because it is conduit-driven, it always pushes new content. The problem is that after every PC-based sync, you will have a new copy of Vindigo in RAM as well as the prior copy on the card.

The final step of a PC sync is to *MOVE* the new copy to the card again, overwriting the copy on the card. (This has been discussed in various threads in these and other forums.)

More relevant for me, is that I don't like to do PC-based syncs and Vindigo supports direct over the air syncs to the Treo. When you do one of these, the update is written to the card (not RAM). (This is because the update happens *within* Vindigo and zLauncher knows to move it back to the card when you exit.)

I am very hopeful that my next device (Cingular 8125?!?!?!) will allow me to escape PC syncs completely. In fact, going forward, I won't buy any software that doesn't support direct over-the-air syncing (although I will miss my Dose-A-Day Dilbert! Unless they get their act together, that is.)
    Global Posts
    233 Global Posts
    I just saw this thread after doing a search on "Vindigo." I too am having the disappearing Vindigo problem. I've used Vindigo since my 1MB PalmPilot days. They used to be a good company. Now, it seems that their entire focus is on cell phones and they have this Palm OS product that is kept around as a legacy. It's frustrating!! The product has huge potential, but is not keeping up with current technology. And, it is a huge memory hog. I just purchased Zlauncher, so I'll try moving it to the card with that.

I didn't read any solutions in here for the vanishing Vindigo. I just did a hard erase and am reinstalling everything. Perhaps that will fix the problem??
    Vindigo has made no efforts to improve this app for PalmOS and more specifically the many issues with the treo. It's a shame because it's implementation of the city maps is the best I have seen. They haven't done any updates for almost a year. March 2005 was the last version update. All support request are replied with excuses and never any indication that they care to fix the issues. They deny the disappearing issue claiming it is a NVFS issue. They don't seem to notice that they are the only app to have this problem. Their lack of external memory support also make this app a loser for the Treo device. To put the last nail in the coffin I am finding that it crashes my device every time I perform a wireless sync. Too bad really. I liked this app but I can't justify renewing my subscription with all these issues.
    Treo 650 Verizon 1.04
    http://www.rgps.com
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rgps
    To put the last nail in the coffin I am finding that it crashes my device every time I perform a wireless sync.
    You can fix this issue by deleting and re-downloading the "VSync" portion of the app. Simply delete it and then perform a wireless sync, and it will ask you to perform a hotsync to download a new uncorrupted version.

I agree with you 100% on this starting to become a waste. I use the program frequently which almost makes it worth $25 a year, but with no updates, no hi-res support and "we don't announce updates until their released" excuses, Vindigo is starting to show it's age.
    Too bad!! It was fun while it lasted.
    I tried removing vsync. No good still crashes. So I deleted the app entirely and re-installed. Still crashes when I wireless sync and now I lost my favorits. Why aren't my favorites stored with my account. What exactly am I paying $25/year for. I think I will just delete again and leave it that way.
    Treo 650 Verizon 1.04
    http://www.rgps.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast