1.    #1  
    I have been syncing almost daily since my first palm III in 1999 and have never had this problem. I have had my Treo 650 for over 1 month, and it has always worked well until I synced today.

The last time I synced was on 4/27. Today when I synced, it started by installing every file and database as it was on 4/27, thereby replacing the existing files. It took almost 10 minutes to complete the sync. It acted as if I had done a hard-reset, or had synced for the first time. It has been several days since my Treo has even had soft-reset, and I have never hard-reset it. It was working fine up until the moment I synced. The only thing that was slightly unusual was that when I pushed the sync button on my USB cable, there was an alert on the screen from a datebook alarm that I had not yet acknowledged. Once I acknowledged the alarm I pushed sync again and it started as I said above. But I have had this happen hundreds of times with my previous T3 and it never caused a problem.

It seems to be working fine now, but I lost all the data I had entered into in between 4/27 and today, and many of my preferences had to be reconfigured.

Does anyone have any idea why this happened, and if so, what can I do to prevent it from happening again?

Thanks!
    I have seen this very random behavior before.

That is why I always set the default for the handheld to overwrite desktop (unless I am doing a recovery).

Ever since I did that, not problems.