Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The strangest thing happened twice yesterday. My Treo reset itself for whatever random reason but when it restarted, all the preferences were back to factory default. The wallpaper, favorites, categories, everything. I thought everything was wiped at first but all the programs were still installed. Even ZLauncher was configured like when it's first installed. I restored from a backup with BackupMan and everything was back to normal. I just thought it was really strange, especially happening twice in one day. Anyone else have this happen?
    I've seen this happen too often. The saved preferences file appears to become corruptued when the Treo resets. I've tried narrowing it down to a specific program, but I cant seem to nail it. When it happens to me I restore my Saved Preferences file from a checkpoint backup and I'm up and running again, but this sure is annoying. It seems the file is left open by some app and a rest corrupts it (I am guessing here).

This is a good case for a good backup program...
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
  3.    #3  
    That makes sense. I never thought to look for the Saved Preferences file. If and when it happens again I'll restore just that file instead of doing a full restore so hopefully I won't lose anything from that day. Thanks for the tip.
    I think this problem started after the 1.08 upgrade.
    The same thing started happening to me right after the upgrade.
    Never before.
    I am actually surprised that more people are not experiencing this.
    I do not think that some of the saved prefs and program prefs with 1.03 are compatible with 1.08.

I solved the problem by hard resetting and restoring all of my apps one by one.
    I am on Cingular, so the problem doesnt seem related to a specific carrier (1.08 is a Sprint firmware update).
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    I've experienced this problem about 3 times since doing the 1.08 upgrade when it was first posted.

Restoring the Saved Preferences file from backup resolved the problem.
  7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81
    The strangest thing happened twice yesterday. My Treo reset itself for whatever random reason but when it restarted, all the preferences were back to factory default. The wallpaper, favorites, categories, everything. I thought everything was wiped at first but all the programs were still installed. Even ZLauncher was configured like when it's first installed. I restored from a backup with BackupMan and everything was back to normal. I just thought it was really strange, especially happening twice in one day. Anyone else have this happen?
    Welcome to my recent world of hurt.
    This has been happening since the 1.08 update for me as well. I tried updating to 1.08 the "normal" way - purely hotsyncing, but hotsync froze while backing up contacts (SURPRISE). So, I reset the 650, the firmware updated ok, then I've been restoring using BackupMan every time this has happened.
    I'm starting to move all apps to the SD card via ZLauncher, then it's time for a hard reset!
    Seems like some savy developers are realizing that using databases instead of preferences leads to more stable programs (I don't know enough to know why).

But TomTom 2004 & Handmark Express are excellent examples. TomTom is great program, but is seems (I'm guessing) to store it's "favorites" in the preference files, so when the above happens, all your previously saved addresses/favorites disappear (DOAH!!!). Express is another great program, but somehow, I eventually end up with a white screen of death - again, assuming there is a corruptions in preferences (Handmark's supports stinks - they tell you get a refund - from HandanGo, yea - sure).
    Using my Pre to help run: www.at-peace.net

Sharp Zaurus->HP Jornada->Sony Clie T615->Treo 650 (CDMA)->Treo 755p->Palm Pre (Disappointed) -> Iphone4 (Happy)
  10. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I deleted Butler and haven't had a problem as of then. (3 days ago). Maybe butler is conflicting with 1.08 update some way.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I am having the same problem as well. I restore Saved Preferences, ZlauncherDB, Psyslaunchdb, Network Profile 2, and Carrier profiles 2. Then all is ok until the next soft reset. This is driving me nuts!
    I've now experienced the same thing twice, both times since applying the 1.23 f/w update. Fortunately a BBVFS restore of Saved Preferences is a quick and easy fix, though it was extremely disconcerting the first time it happened.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    OK, a third instance of this last night. This time it was when DateBK5 automatically woke up at 0730 to do its daily maintenance. The #*ERR log indicates a "Pref DB Open Error," which makes me think that we've been confusing the chicken with the egg. I suspect that corruption in the Saved Preferences database is causing the resets, not vice versa.

Since this only started happening since I went to 1.23, I think I'll probably fall back to 1.21 tonight if the official update doesn't materialize today.

Now where was that 1.21 download thread....
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMiami
    Seems like some savy developers are realizing that using databases instead of preferences leads to more stable programs (I don't know enough to know why).

But TomTom 2004 & Handmark Express are excellent examples. TomTom is great program, but is seems (I'm guessing) to store it's "favorites" in the preference files, so when the above happens, all your previously saved addresses/favorites disappear (DOAH!!!). Express is another great program, but somehow, I eventually end up with a white screen of death - again, assuming there is a corruptions in preferences (Handmark's supports stinks - they tell you get a refund - from HandanGo, yea - sure).
    The same thing was happening with ChatterEmail. Sometimes a combination of program interactions would cause a reset (usually during a background incoming e-mail) and if a reset occurred, the Saved Preferences file would be trashed. The developer stopped using Saved Preferences and since then, no more crashes and no more lost preferences.

My guess is that the with multiple programs trying to save their preferences to the same file at the same time (especially prior to a crash), the process isn't being handled very well either by the OS or the programs involved... thus corruption. The latest betas of ChatterEmail seem to have side-stepped the issue.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    its happend to me a few times before...thats why i invested in a backup program...no more this happening im sure
    It's happened to me as well. Favorites were intact though, but launcher was back to default (I use Zlauncher), programs lost registrations.

Did anyone notice a lot of us seem to be using Zlauncher? Anyone here not using Zlauncher?
    Last edited by crenshaw; 05/11/2005 at 10:02 AM.
    Pilot Professional 1MB -> Palm III -> Palm 515 -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    not me...Zlauncher is nice looking but I dont need it..
    Oh well
    Pilot Professional 1MB -> Palm III -> Palm 515 -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    hehehe..i wish i knew what caused it...but meh next time it happens I will be ready..thank you backupman....and when i lose Voicedial, i have the installer program in my Palm folder on the card (where they put Backupman) and i just launch it from there
  19. cwb
    My resets and lost prefs started to happen quite often, even during hot sync. I finally bit the bullet with a hard reset and installed the programs from downloads ( didn't use my backups because I think the corruption was in the pref file, but it might have been somewhere else). ANyhow no more resets with lost prefs file.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast