Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just checked speck's homepage and found some product pictures. What's your options about this case? My current case (PDAir) maks my 650 very large and I want to change to another one. The speck's one (CLEAR) looks very nice.

http://www.speckproducts.com/images/treo650-d4.jpg
    http://www.speckproducts.com/images/treo650-d3.jpg
    1. can i still ue my stylus with the screen protector in place? ( some apps and games require a screen tap )

2. can i use the clip with other skin cases? ( my wife wants a pink skin case )
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    I think the protector may be able to swival up--I'm look very hard at this case also.
    Look like the top part blocks IR, power button , and SD card.
    I just orderd one of the clear ones. If anyone's interested, I'll let you know what I think of it when I get it.
    Looks cool.
    I'd be interested in people's hands-on experience with this case. Considering getting one for myself.
    Ordered mine last night, should have it by Friday =)

CGordonn
    Let us know, cause I only have 3 cases right now with my 4th on order, maybe this will be number 5....that should just about equal what I paid for my phone... DOH!
    I wish I had a dime for every dime I have
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    I got mine today. The case is cool, thicker than the Boxwave skin but felt more sturdy. I like the removable screen protector. The protector can flip up if you need to access your screen. My only gripe...there is no hole in the holster so you can't use your wired/hybrid headset to listen to music when the phone is in the holster. The holster itself felt a bit flimsy (when compared to, let's say, a BB holster), but I don't think it will break with regular use. The skin case with the screen protector make your phone slightly less bulky compared to a Vaja T66. Still, for someone who likes a skin case in a holster...this should be a good choice.
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
    My new SkinTight case should arrive this coming tuesday--can't wait!! Does anyone know if replacement screen protectors for this case can be had if/should the original one get damaged? I emailed Speck about this but have not heard anything back from them yet.
    Got my new Speck skin case today. I am quite pleased with the fit and finish of the skin. It is made of Kraton, so it does not have that "tacky" feeling of silicone (my JavoSkin for Treo 600 was tacky feeling). The Speck skin has a slightly rough texture, with some finger grip ridges on the back sides of the case. The case is also thicker then my previous JavoSkin case and provides a good, firm feeling in my hand.

All the cut-outs for the various Treo 650 controls line up perfectly. However Speck did not provide a cut-out for the SD card and IR port. If anyone from Speck monitors this board, this was a DUMB OMMISSION. You have created a very well made skin, yet have crippled it by ommitting a cut out for 2 very important functions of the Treo 650. Speck, please consider redesigning this skin.

The skin also comes with a flip-up clear plastic screen protector. If the LCD needs to be tapped, the screen protector is hinged at the top and flips up and out of the way. Unfortunaly the plastic used for screen protector does not seem very durable, mine already has some scuff marks on it. Had this been made from a tougher type of polycarbonate platic, scuff marks and scratches would be less of an issue.

The last component is the included holster. I like the design, but am disappointed with the meterials used. The holster has a cup at the bottom to cradle the bottom of the Treo, and hooker "finger" like protrusion that hooks over the top of the Treo to hold it in place. The Treo is placed in the holster screen side in so that it is protected by the body of the holster. This set up holds the skined Treo very securely in place. The holster also has a non-removable swivel belt clip. The swivel is a series of interlocking ridges between the clip and body of the holster. For my personal needs, this type of blet clip just wont cut it. I wear jeans most of the time along with a 2" wide leather belt and this clip just wont fit. I'll have to keep the clip attached to my pocket. Those who wear a smaller belt should not have a problem. Sadly though, IMHO, the materials used for holster feel "cheap" and I fear it wont hold up to heavy daily use. I do love the design and hope the materials prove my fears unjustified.

All in all I am pleased with the skin, even with the DUMB ommission of a cut out for the SD card and IR port. I am pleased with the DESIGN of the holster but disappointed with the MATERIALS used to make it. If I could recommend something to Speck it would be...

1 - provide cut outs for the SD card and IR port
    2 - make the screen protector out of a tougher, more scratch resistant polycarbonate plastic
    3 - make the holster out of a more durable feeling material
    4 - redesign the belt clip to accomodate wider / thicker belts

On a scale of 1 - 10, I give this case a 7. It REALLY could be a 10 if the above noted issues were corrected.

Just my 2 cents
    CGordonn
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    How well with a 650 skin fit a 600? What would be the issues --

Thanks
    the case sounds great, but i dont like the fact it blocks the IR or doesnt have a hole for the wired headset. on the other hand i do like that it blocks the sd card (this way you wont lose it)
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko515
    the case sounds great, but i dont like the fact it blocks the IR or doesnt have a hole for the wired headset. on the other hand i do like that it blocks the sd card (this way you wont lose it)
    I am not happy with the IR port being blocked either, but for me its a minor issue. The skin does have a cut out at the bottom for a headset and sync / charge connectors. Its the plastic holster that does not have a cut out for the wired headset connector.

CGordonn
    Quote Originally Posted by cgordonn
    I am not happy with the IR port being blocked either, but for me its a minor issue. The skin does have a cut out at the bottom for a headset and sync / charge connectors. Its the plastic holster that does not have a cut out for the wired headset connector.

CGordonn
    I do not think they can do anything on the IR port and SD card because of the holster design. Does that mean, you have to take the skin off when you want to change the SD card or use IR port ?

You can not use the headset while it is the holster. This is a killer.

I do not know how long the skin will last since when you remove Treo out of the holster, it scratches againest the holster. I like the skin from TC.
    Is it possible to use the 5-way navigation button with this skin?
    Quote Originally Posted by string3599
    Is it possible to use the 5-way navigation button with this skin?
    Yes, all the buttons work great.

CGordonn
    Quote Originally Posted by trip
    I do not think they can do anything on the IR port and SD card because of the holster design. Does that mean, you have to take the skin off when you want to change the SD card or use IR port ?

You can not use the headset while it is the holster. This is a killer.

I do not know how long the skin will last since when you remove Treo out of the holster, it scratches againest the holster. I like the skin from TC.
    Unfortunately yes, the Treo will have to come out to remove the SD card and use the IR port. I think they could have formed the top arm to allow some room for an exposed SD slot and IR port.

CGordonn
    Quote Originally Posted by cgordonn
    Unfortunately yes, the Treo will have to come out to remove the SD card and use the IR port. I think they could have formed the top arm to allow some room for an exposed SD slot and IR port.

CGordonn
    Would it help to, say, take a sharp Exacto knife and cut out the plastic covering the SD Card and IR Port? Neatly?

It would be a shame to have to do that, but I agree it's a big oversight on their part.
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast