1.    #1  
    I was tense a few times, but it looks like my orginal Cingular has been successfully upgraded to 1.23. Here are the scary parts:

1. I was running 1.04 firmware on my Cing Treo. Could not get upgrade to start. I was trying to put startup.prc in the root instead of leaving it in the Palm folder

2. After all the upgrade and screen reboots I checked Phone/info. All the fields were blank except for the software which said Treo650-1.06/5052. I thought that I might have installed the CDMA file by mistake! Once I turned on the phone than the FW was listed as 01.23

3. Restoring with BackupbuddyVFS failed on the phone.prc file then failed again on the Graffitti files. I ignored the phone.prc file and Graffitianywhere seems file. The Graffititi files probably have a system or read only bit set. I am not sure why Phone.prc fails to restore, but the phone seems fine. Any comments on this? Seems like Treo 600 users had a similar problem.

4. Was getting reboots after hotsync, but that problem went away too after a few more hotsyncs. This seems like a common problem too which I never had until this update. I hope it is gone for good.

All in all a frightening experience, but I should be stronger for it and hopefully have a more stable Treo. 13.5M free now vs 7 MB previous. use Versamail and like to see that I am now running 3.0c
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Does Versamail behave any differently than before?
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder
    I was tense a few times, but it looks like my orginal Cingular has been successfully upgraded to 1.23. Here are the scary parts:

1. I was running 1.04 firmware on my Cing Treo. Could not get upgrade to start. I was trying to put startup.prc in the root instead of leaving it in the Palm folder

2. After all the upgrade and screen reboots I checked Phone/info. All the fields were blank except for the software which said Treo650-1.06/5052. I thought that I might have installed the CDMA file by mistake! Once I turned on the phone than the FW was listed as 01.23

3. Restoring with BackupbuddyVFS failed on the phone.prc file then failed again on the Graffitti files. I ignored the phone.prc file and Graffitianywhere seems file. The Graffititi files probably have a system or read only bit set. I am not sure why Phone.prc fails to restore, but the phone seems fine. Any comments on this? Seems like Treo 600 users had a similar problem.
    Sounds like you just didn't read all the instructions.. Wipe card clean, put SD/PALM files in the SD card in the PALM dir, no moving stuff around. The FW etc information *never* shows until the phone is on. And why in the world are you restoring a phone.prc? Why would that have been in ram to begin with, it's built into the firmware/rom image!
  4.    #4  
    Good question on Phone.prc. I just checked my RAM and it is not there, but the backup file created by BackupBuddyVFS 3.07 definitely has a file called Phone in it database.

When I browse the backup folder on my SD card I find a file called Phone_HsPh_00000001.prc. This file is also not in Ram, but looks to be the file Phone that is listed in the BackupBuddyVFS 3.07 database. Both are 672K.

The file called Phone is listed in ROM and creator HsPh with size shown as 652 (ROM) + 88K. Strange way to list a file size.

It is a mystery to me. Any suggestions?
    You must have installed one of the customizations around here, usually skin-related, ie, changing your splash screens or the dial pad appearance.
  6.    #6  
    I don't recall installing any customization for the phone. In fact I have been using TakePhone for months now and rarely see the default phone application except to clear the history log or dial #*377

I just did a complete backup with BBVFS vs. the incremental backups that I was doing before. Phone.prc is now gone from the backup database file.

In hindsight, I should have done a checkpoint backup with BBVFS before starting the upgrade to 1.23.

Looks like I am good to go! thanks for the help and feedback.
    Last edited by swieder; 05/01/2005 at 10:01 AM.
  7.    #7  
    I also really like the the brightness control dims the screen and the keyboard. Just yesterday, before the update, I was dimming the screen to check the sports scores (Go Celtics) at a theatre, but the keyboard brightness was distracting. Not a problem any more!