1.    #1  
    hi i was wonderinf if there was a booster i could use with my 650 becuase during the summer i go to a camp on the mountains but at the bottom of the mountian i get service so i was wondering if there a boosteri could use thanks
    Likely not. You're dealing with topography. Unless you plan on erecting a huge tower to install your booster on.

Probably easier to just walk down the mountain...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Yes, there are external antennae you can get - that weird rubber plug on the back right below the antenna actually conceals an external antenna port. Google pulled up this site with several compatible external antenna models. Also see this thread.

Of course, like Insertion said, if it's really just topography, then an external antenna may not be enough to help, but ya never know til you try.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcgabriel
    Yes, there are external antennae you can get - that weird rubber plug on the back right below the antenna actually conceals an external antenna port. Google pulled up this site with several compatible external antenna models. Also see this thread.

Of course, like Insertion said, if it's really just topography, then an external antenna may not be enough to help, but ya never know til you try.
    From that same site:
    I live in a rural area and have to travel a mile or two from home to be able to make a call on my phone, will an antenna help?
    An antenna might help. If you're in an area with large hills or mountains, it's most likely nothing will help. But if the terrain is flatter, we would recommend a 5db single band antenna or a Yagi antenna. The 5db is easier much easier to set up than the Yagi and most people get great results with one. Analog phone and service is your best bet in rural until more digital towers are installed. You might also consider a cellular signal power booster.
    http://www.alternativewireless.com/c...ntennaFAQ.html

(about a third of the way down, near the paypal icon)
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    JDTek makes boosters and repeaters that may help.

30 day moneyback guarantee, so it's worth to see if it works for you.
    I believe there's also a finite limit to how far you can be from the nearest tower, which no amount of signal boosting can avoid. It has to do with the way that GSM works - each phone associated with a given tower, is given a "timeslice" so that the tower can handle multiple connections "simultaneously." If the phone does not respond to the tower's request within its timeslice, then the link is broken. Depending on the length of the timeslice, there is a maximum radius beyond which it is plysically impossible for the signal to travel from the tower to the phone and back within the allotted time.

This caused problems when Australia was moving to GSM, due to the remoteness of the Australian Outback. IIRC, the maximum was around 30km, but there was discussion about being able to relax the timings to allow greater distance with fewer concurrent connections.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
  7.    #7  
    Do you know what the jdtek website is? thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rlazboss
    Do you know what the jdtek website is? thanks
    Five minutes with Google took me to http://www.jdteck.com/
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
  9.    #9  
    sorry he spelt it wrong i googles it an after a little while i found out it was spelled the other way i found it out before you psoted sorry
    my apologies for the misspelling.
  11.    #11  
    its ok dont apoligize because i think you provided me my solution thank you