Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I have had numerous problems with my Cingular 650. Reboots, Poor call quality and dropped calls I was wondering if anyone has been able to replace their Treo with an upgrade to the unlocked version?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    You might want to try upgrading the f/w to version 1.23 and see if that works better for you.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Is that firmware version Unlocked Treo specific or will it work on all GSM models?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Check the other threads in this forum for the 1.23 update.

I don't have first hand experience upgrading a locked phone. My phone is unlocked, but others in that thread have upgraded their Cingular locked phones.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    It is the unlocked GSM firmware, and thus doesn't have Cingular-specific features, however a bunch of people have reported installing and running the 1.21 update without problems on Cingular models, not sure if there's been enough time for feedback on the 1.23 with Cingular models yet.

I have an unlocked GSM with T-Mobile, and I'm using the 1.21 update and have found it to be so outrageously stable compared to the stock firmware it's absurd. My Treo used to crash once or twice a day, every day. I've now gone almost 5 days without a single crash/reset. I'm thrilled.

Some people have reported improved speaker output quality and volume with the 1.21/1.23 patches, others have said it makes no difference for them. As for dropped calls, unless they are being caused by a crash or reset, I wouldn't hold out too much hope for a firmware update helping, but you never know.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Got my brand new Treo 650 yesterday, Cingular branded, locked. Obtained unlock code from Cinguar, upgraded to 1.23, no problem so far.
    Anyone know what the difference is in the included apps between the ATTWS/Cingular ROM and the Unlocked PalmOne version? I saw someone mention that if you load the PalmOne ROM you lose World Clock. Is there anything else you'd lose? Are there any applications in the PalOne ROM that are not in the Cingluar phone?

Also, Is there a way to back up the original ROM before loading a new version so I can go back if for some reason I don't like something?
    World Clock is still present.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Well, BT DUN works with P1 ROM out of the box, but is disabled in Cingular/ATT ROMs. I know Sprint has some custom apps, but Cingular may not have any meaningful stuff on there, other than different boot/shutdown splash screens.

World Clock is definitely there in the P1 unlocked GSM ROM.

Don't know if there's a way to back up the ROM easily - you can get some of the earlier ROM images around though, like the Cingular 1.05 image, from P1 themselves, and apparently it's possible to reflash the Treo with an older ROM (I have seen at least one successful report of going from 1.21 or 1.23 back to 1.15).
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I took the plunge and updated my rom. I went from fw/1.04 to 1.23. Big jump. I did not notice memory prior to the update. I dont have alot of software on my Treo right now anyway. Basically Card Export II and some games. So far all is working well. DUN enabled and I am using right now SWEEEET!! The test will be next week during peak hours. I'm not sure if the problem was my phone or Cingular's network in Atlanta. I swapped my SIM card for the 4th time last week and was told by a Cing rep that the network in Hotlanta is just over stressed especially during rush hour. I guess thats all 50 million mobile 2 mobile customers lol. Anyway I will keep you guys posted..
    I ask again in this thread, what is better or improved after this upgrade???
    Several folks have reported apparent speed and stability improvements. You also get DUN without needing a hack, and get rid of the Cingular branding and applications like the XpressMail download stub.

Many folks (myself included) have also found a dramatic improvement in the volume levels of the speakerphone and BT headset. For me, this update has made the speakerphone usable.
    Last edited by jetkins; 05/01/2005 at 01:57 PM.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    My Treo seems to be working alot better now. I Have not had a reboot in 2 days now. It seems to be faster responding to commands.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    The software is working well except I cannot stay connected on most calls. I can count on dropping calls routinely, this has annoyed myself, my clients and friends.

I was really hoping the firmware update would help resolve some of that. At times after the phone drops the call it will not initialize to redial. (just returns to the dial pad). Is anyone else having that problem?
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I have given up. Requested my 1st replacement today from Cingular. I should have it by the middle of next week. Hopefully the phone will work better.