Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm having trouble installing the drivers for the PalmOne Universal Wireless Keyboard on my (Sprint) Treo 650. After installation of Keyboard v105.prc, the most current driver that I can find, clicking on the keyboard icon causes a reset. So I cannot change the keyboard options, etc. (The keyboard itself seems to work, oddly enough.)

Through other forums, I've read that this may have to do with an older keyboard program residing on my phone. However, I have tried the suggested fix (renaming the keyboard program using a file manager program) and it didn't solve the problem. (I've also tried deleting everything keyboard related and then installing.) I've searched this forum for similar issues and couldn't find an appropriate thread.

Thanks for any suggestions!
  2.    #2  
    Well, I went back and tried the rename fix for about the third and, voila!, it worked.

Here's the fix, for anybody's who's having this problem:

Download and install the FileZ program manager for Palms at:

http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/filez.shtml

Once the program is installed in the 650 open it and :

1. click on "View and Edit Files"

2. click on "Internal"

3. make sure the box next to "ROM" is checked

4. press the 650's menu key and then choose "Tree" and "Expand"

5 scroll down to "Keyboard" and choose it - a red check mark should appear to the left of the app

6. click on "Detail"

7. In the name field change the name from "Keyboard" to something else (I used "test") and then save it

8. close out of View and Edit files

9. press the home key on the palm

When all this is done install the wireless keyboard driver as usual. After the install you will have to do a soft reset on the 650.

Once everything is up and running correctly you can go back to the FileZ program and delete the "test" app - or the whatever name you gave the old keybpard driver.
    Thank you SO much for this posting. You saved me hours of headache and frustration!
    I'm curious, had you installed any other keyboards? I was fortunate and did not have that problem but am curious as to why you would get a reset. I did read the rename fix you mentioned, but it did not come up when I installed.
    Keyboard.prc that comes with UNK has a conflict with RealPlayer 1.6.1 (the newer version on the Real web site).

Deleting RealPlayer 1.6.1 (and reverting back to the ROM version) fixed resets caused when Keyboard application is run.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Okay, I do seem to have a problem with the keyboard. But, it's not a reset problem. It doesn't seem to want to respond. I may have to press a key numerous times. Then it may then all of a sudden start typing as if possessed. There are no other infrared devices around me. I have the .prc in my custom rom, but I had it there in 1.08. Before I reflash with the file out of ROM, has anyone else experienced this? I'm thinking that my keyboard may have gotten pissed. I have left in my truck the last couple of days and it has been hot.
    I too have a weird keyboard problem with the 650. It did not appear to happen until I switched to the new Sprint ROM release just last week. It appears that every 10 seconds or so the keyboard freezes (possibly a background task running) .. I also have some wacky problems with the function keys, where when I switch programs it goes "crazy" switches multiple programs many times. Anyone Else have similar problems? JG
    Quote Originally Posted by jgerry11
    I too have a weird keyboard problem with the 650. It did not appear to happen until I switched to the new Sprint ROM release just last week. It appears that every 10 seconds or so the keyboard freezes (possibly a background task running) .. I also have some wacky problems with the function keys, where when I switch programs it goes "crazy" switches multiple programs many times. Anyone Else have similar problems? JG
    You are describing more of the symptoms that I have experienced. I thought it was working fine. The first few days I just used it for a very short time. Today, I tried to use is more extensively and it went absolutely crazy. It's like it had a mind of its own. There is an update on Palm One's website that I will try in the morning. I have to take the current one out of my Custom ROM and then either add the new one or just put it in RAM. I will post back as soon as I have tried the new version.
    I have found that the Universal keyboard driver update on the PalmOne website has fixed the stange keyboard behavior.

Jason
    Even this new driver (1.08) causes resets on my GSM Treo 650 if I install Realplayer 1.6.1. I had to revert back to the RP 1.6.0 in the ROM.

No big deal. I use Ptunes anyway.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by jgerry11
    I have found that the Universal keyboard driver update on the PalmOne website has fixed the stange keyboard behavior.

Jason
    I tried the new driver. But, it did not solve my "possessed" keyboard behavior.
  12. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    I tried the new driver. But, it did not solve my "possessed" keyboard behavior.
    I had the same problem a couple of times, I think it might have been dust or something on the contacts. Closing and opening the keyboard solved the problem each time (after a LOT of fiddling the first time).
    Quote Originally Posted by hsk
    I had the same problem a couple of times, I think it might have been dust or something on the contacts. Closing and opening the keyboard solved the problem each time (after a LOT of fiddling the first time).
    Thanks, I think I will get a can of compressed air and see if that will help.

Edit: I tried the compressed air and no change. I may have messed up the keyboard by leaving it on the console in my car. It may have gotten to hot.
    Last edited by JohnH59; 06/30/2005 at 10:07 AM.
    With apologies .. I have the same problems of the posessed keyboard syndrome with the updated drivers. Ok who is going to be the guy or gal to get on the phone with overseas tech support until we get this resolved :-)
    Just to be sure it was not my keyboard being left in my car too long and getting hot, I went and picked up a new one. The problem was not my keyboard. The new one was also "posessed". The is definetely a quirk with the new update and the Universal Wireless Keyboard from Palm.
    Add another posessed keyboard to the list. I was trying to work on an Excel spreadsheet this morning and noticed it. I tried a simple memo as well to see if it was unique to DocsToGo. Same thing there. Whatever is happening isn't application related. Either the driver, the firmware, or either side of the hardware is busted. The keyboard battery check reports full. This was with both 1.05 (CD) and 1.08 from the support site.
    I upgraded from the 600 to the 650 recently, and I just got the Universal IR keyboard today. Major dissapointment.

When I had the Treo 600 Keyboard (the hard-connected one), it was built specifically for the handheld. In my experience, it worked very well (good response, excellent 5-way nav support, and you could charge it when it was "docked" on the keyboard) The first couple of T600 driver releases were buggy, but the last release was really good.

Now Palm is trying to be all things to all people and created a "universal" keyboard with support for both Palm and Pocket PC. In comparison to the 600 keyboard, this is very similar to 3rd party keyboards I tried with the 600 with half-*** support. Just the fact that you have to hit 2 keys to operate the 5-way nav is pretty ridiculous. And...of course...the worst part of this new IR keyboard is having the wacky buffering delay/response.

If I can't figure out how I can make this thing somewhat usable (in a practical sense), I'm returning it.
    I generally go to the Think Outside website for all drivers. Just went there today to get driver version 3.0T for my 650. I believe Think Outside is the source for all branded bluetooth and wireless keyboards.
    VisorPhone => Treo 650
    For the hell of it, I gave it a try. This seems to work only with ThinkOutside's keyboard (the IR codes are different). For example, the IR code for "h" is mapped to hard button 2.

Although...under the configurations for "Layout", there's a "Manage Layouts" button that shows what databases are installed for the driver (mine shows "No databases installed" for the list of Layout Databases).
    My keyboard used to work on my 600 and T|3, until I started using it on the 650. I no longer have the 600, and it doesnt work on the 650 or T|3. I think my keyboard (Palm Wireless - not the universal) has worked maybe a total of 5 times out of 30 tries.

Most of the time, my symptoms are the same as posted here already. I thought I was going to have to buy another one until I read this post.

I did as dtplink1 and downloaded the drivers from TO, just havent tried to use it yet.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast