Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    Just to be sure it was not my keyboard being left in my car too long and getting hot, I went and picked up a new one. The problem was not my keyboard. The new one was also "posessed". The is definetely a quirk with the new update and the Universal Wireless Keyboard from Palm.

I just got one of these keyboards and "posessed" or acting "spacey" is the best way to describe the damn thing. Its driving me nuts! Is anybody using the Treo 650 happy with it? I think I am using the latest driver (vr. 1.08) and have spent hours reading suggestions etc, trying to get this thing to work right, but it still has tones of quirks. I have completely given up on using the keyboard to navigate my Treo cuase all hell seems to break out when I do. But even typing is still far from perfect which I find very frustrating.

I too used to have the Treo 600 with the keyboard you set right into the Treo and that worked great! Does anyone know if there is an adaptor for that old keyboard? I have looked but can't find one yet.

Is this keyboard worth keeping or should I return it while I can?
    Face
    Quote Originally Posted by Face
    I just got one of these keyboards and "posessed" or acting "spacey" is the best way to describe the damn thing. Its driving me nuts! Is anybody using the Treo 650 happy with it? I think I am using the latest driver (vr. 1.08) and have spent hours reading suggestions etc, trying to get this thing to work right, but it still has tones of quirks. I have completely given up on using the keyboard to navigate my Treo cuase all hell seems to break out when I do. But even typing is still far from perfect which I find very frustrating.

I too used to have the Treo 600 with the keyboard you set right into the Treo and that worked great! Does anyone know if there is an adaptor for that old keyboard? I have looked but can't find one yet.

Is this keyboard worth keeping or should I return it while I can?
    In my opinion, if your have a Sprint phone, the keyboard is not worth keeping. Without fail, it will act "possessed". I read in another thread that someone with a GSM after installing the latest update was experiencing a similar problem. The keyboard worked fine with 1.08. When I updated to 1.12 it began the problem. I have shown this to a Palm engineer while at a conference in Denver last fall. He acknowledged there was a problem after trying the keyboard with 4 different Sprint Treo's. At that time, their GSM models worked just fine. As luck would have it, I lost his card and have not heard back from him.
    Thanks for the reply. Its a shame because I really like having a keyboard for my Treo, but sucks that it works so poorly. Wish there was a good alternative option.
    Face
    ThinkOutside's Stowaway keyboard is much better. They seem to be making the palm keyboard but their driver is far better.

After trying 4 different IR keyboards I chose the one from ThinkOutside. It was actually the only one that was performing the way I was expecting it to. I also had the possesed palm keyboard and the driver would crash my Treo650 as well.

The only downside is the fact that it doesn't have a seperate row of numbers and you have to use the FN button to get the numbers. The FN button sometimes doesn't click.

Another tip is turn key clicks on so you have audiable varification of hitting a key.

Sowaway all the way (and also the only way for IR keyboards)
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zoti
    After trying 4 different IR keyboards I chose the one from ThinkOutside. It was actually the only one that was performing the way I was expecting it to. I also had the possesed palm keyboard and the driver would crash my Treo650 as well.
    What kind of 650 are you using? Which firmware version?
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Cingular with latest firmware 1.51/1.17CNG.
    In case someone isn't monitoring the "Treo on Folding Keyboard - Unstable" thread, Palm has posted a fix to the Universal Wireless Keyboard problem with 650's.

Credits to Roper on the other thread for posting the info. His quote is below:

"Palm has released a software update that is designed to resolve an issue with the transmittal of unpacketized data over the IR port on Treo 650 devices. Once installed, applications and accessories using unpacketized data, such as the Palm Universal Wireless Keyboard, will function correctly.

I haven't been getting any of the spurious triggers (i.e. it acts like I pushed keys when I didn't) I used to get. This combined with Rotation 1.2.4 will make it very convenient to use word processing apps like Docs To Go."

I will attest that it works on my Sprint 1.13a 650. Rotation is also perfect now that my keyboard works like it should.
    jphardy- Where exactly is this new Palm keyboard driver located?

I'm also experiencing erratic behavior using my Plam Universal Wireless keyboard - similar to what you explain.

I don't see any updates on the www.palm.com site about this.
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    Sorry. It was hyperlinked in the other thread & didn't carry over.

www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/rawir.html
    Thank you jbhardy!! you're the man!
    I didn't have the reset or possessed issue, but my keyboard was very unresponsive(when keys are pressed in 1 second or longer intervals...) when used with my 650. Searched everywhere and couldn't find an answer, called Palm and they told me I should return the keyboard but I knew it was not the keyboard's problem because I have a targus IR keyboard that has the exact same problem. now it's working great! I like the Universal Keyboard's tactile response btw.
    After installing the update, I dusted off the UW keyboard and gave it a try (I haven't used it in a long time).

I can confirm, even with the old battery, everything works good now (no more posessed / random keystrokes).

Excellent turnaround time from Palm. It only took about a year to fix the problem. :-)
    now, if I can just remember where I put mine!
    I have been checking every keyboard thread for over a year just hoping that someone would figure out the problem and fix it. Ironically, I had given up and was searching for the best bluetooth keyboard when I stumbled across the other (Unstable) thread that had the link to the official fix. I was actually dreading the bluetooth keyboard because the ThinkOutside version that I was leaning toward doesn't have the dedicated number key row. I'm happy now, plus I'm money ahead.
    I just read your message about the BlueTooth keyboards. You said you were happy with the one you have, but I did not see/find which one your are using. If you are using one that you find works well could you please let me know which one it is. It is driving me nuts not to have a keyboard for my Treo 650.

Thanks.
    Face
    Sorry. I don't have a bluetooth keyboard. I was starting to look for one when I saw the update that makes my infrared keyboard function properly. Now that it works, I'm no longer looking at bluetooth.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    I finally got a chance to try mine keyboard out with the update. Seems to work just fine. I do have a problem with navagating with ZLauncher using the keyboard (seems to do some weird double key strike)... but I just mapped a few more alt keys, so I don't need to use ZLauncher and I'm good to go.

Typing in all apps is trouble free. Typing in Goodlink is a bit slow, not too bad... I lose on occational first character, but it's way, way better than before.

With the fix and Rotation 1.2.4, I'm a happy universal wireless IR keyboard user.

Finally!!!
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Yea!! What took them so long???
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhardy
    In case someone isn't monitoring the "Treo on Folding Keyboard - Unstable" thread, Palm has posted a fix to the Universal Wireless Keyboard problem with 650's.

Credits to Roper on the other thread for posting the info. His quote is below:

"Palm has released a software update that is designed to resolve an issue with the transmittal of unpacketized data over the IR port on Treo 650 devices. Once installed, applications and accessories using unpacketized data, such as the Palm Universal Wireless Keyboard, will function correctly.

I haven't been getting any of the spurious triggers (i.e. it acts like I pushed keys when I didn't) I used to get. This combined with Rotation 1.2.4 will make it very convenient to use word processing apps like Docs To Go."

I will attest that it works on my Sprint 1.13a 650. Rotation is also perfect now that my keyboard works like it should.
    Palm states that this update is for CNG 1.20 (as applies to me) - I have CNG 1.17, which seems to be the most recent update (that I can find). Does anyone know if this will work for me and fix my think outside IR keyboard?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123