Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Yes, there are many applications for polling for new mail... unfortunately they want you to always *download* messages, and aren't really geared to use IMAP servers they way they're actually intended: to keep your message store on the server and not constantly download as if you were still using old POP3.

I've still found nothing better for *server* IMAP4 access than EmailViewer. But one thing it doesn't do is notify of new messages in the background. So I'm basically after a utility that would help with that specific task. Is anyone aware of such a beast?

Bill
    What's wrong with ChatterEmail for this? It's clearly the most powerful IMAP tool for the Treo.

Marc
  3.    #3  
    An IMAP client that forces you to download messages and doesn't easily let you browse the server folder structure isn't a worthy IMAP client, IMHO. If you're going to download, might as well stick with POP.
    Set to only download 2k of messages...
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw
    An IMAP client that forces you to download messages and doesn't easily let you browse the server folder structure isn't a worthy IMAP client, IMHO. If you're going to download, might as well stick with POP.
    Are you saying that Chatter does this? If so, how? My messages download immediately when they hit my imap server. If the messages are larger, it automatically notifies me by allowing me to download more of the message. Same holds true for attachments. I don't have to download the attachment (especially if its large like some pdf's or pictures). It allows me the option of downloading when I get back to my pc.

POP sucks because of the redundancy of having to handle an email more than once.
    taroliw - Chatter lets you browse the server structure; I really don't know what you mean... And how exactly do you view an email without loading it? I'm very curious to know.

Marc
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    POP sucks because of the redundancy of having to handle an email more than once.
    And an IMAP client that forces you to download *any* of a message merely to read it equally sucks. About the most I let any PC based client cache is subject headings, so that I might search them locally. I no more want my Treo downloading any of the content than I would want by accessing my message store over the web -- which I've frankly done rather than use ChatterMail, VersaMail, or SnapperMail ... all of which I've tried and seriously disappoint me. They all strike me as clients who have been written to POP and adapted to treat IMAP as if it were POP -- by merely not deleting a message from the store after downloading it. I don't want to waste one byte of a storage on my Treo to download a list of 5000 messages i might have saved in a folder merely so that I can read perhaps one of them. It's a stupid way to implement a client like that.

The other very unfortunate thing is that none of these clients seems to be able to handle IMAP folder names with a space in them.

So... as I said, I've tried the rest and still EmailViewer is the best out there at being a very lightweight and fully-functioned IMAP client. All I need now is something to provide a signal that new messages await me without the horrible burden of downloading message content to my device.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    taroliw - Chatter lets you browse the server structure; I really don't know what you mean... And how exactly do you view an email without loading it? I'm very curious to know.
    But strangely none of these clients seems to know how to handle spaces in a folder name?

I don't need or want any part of a message stored persistently, even if it will expire after some configurable amount. A message is retrieved from IMAP for *display* not for *storage*. The design principle of these clients appears to be "download a small bit of every message in the background so that it will be there when I want to read it." Great... used POP, moved on to IMAP so that I don't have to carry around downloaded data.

The point of this thread is not to discuss the merits of one approach or another. My goals are clear and these clients don't fit. I want to treat my handheld device as a window to my mail, not a place to store it. And there is a client out there that does this. The functionality I am seeking is a simple tool that will poll in the background and merely tell me when new messages have arrived. Once I am aware, I can open up the mail client and it will tell me where the messages are waiting.
    I don't want to waste one byte of a storage on my Treo to download a list of 5000 messages i might have saved in a folder merely so that I can read perhaps one of them.
    And emailviewer lets you browse 5000 emails without downloading them?

The other very unfortunate thing is that none of these clients seems to be able to handle IMAP folder names with a space in them.
    Isnt this easily fixed on the pc side...just rename the folders?

So... as I said, I've tried the rest and still EmailViewer is the best out there at being a very lightweight and fully-functioned IMAP client.
    How can it be a fully funcional IMAP client if it doesnt tell you when you have new messages?

BTW-not trying to be argumentative...I didnt understand your first post.
    I don't want to waste one byte of a storage on my Treo to download a list of 5000 messages i might have saved in a folder merely so that I can read perhaps one of them. It's a stupid way to implement a client like that.
    You clearly have your mind made up on what you want and there is obviously nothing wrong with that. Of note though, is that chatter offers a fairly easy way of searching your folders (by key word, time, subject, body, to, from etc) for one particular e-mail, without downloading all of your e-mails in the folder in which the one e-mail is contained (filter).
    I'm still confused. By definition, if you're reading the mail, it must be "downloaded". I suppose the poster is saying he doesn't want it to be stored (just view and disappear, then)? Of course, you could always just read them and delete them.

And, btw, taroliw, Chatter was written ENTIRELY as an IMAP application, and I was only dragged kicking an screaming into supporting POP3 ;-)

The fact that there is ONE feature that isn't properly supported is hardly a reason to dismiss an entire product. I STILL haven't found a PC IMAP client that works the way I'd like it to (though Thunderbird is pretty good).

Marc
    How about text msg. alerts? I used to use these to alert me that I had new mail but now that I have Chatter I don't need text messages. Either way you receive data. The only way that *I* know of not to download is to use Blazer (or a browser) and view your email via the web... but then I am not all that tech-savvy. But it is pretty easy to set up a mail forwarding to your phone via text message. Then you at least only receive the first 160 characters or whatever ...
  13.    #13  
    I'm still confused. By definition, if you're reading the mail, it must be "downloaded". I suppose the poster is saying he doesn't want it to be stored (just view and disappear, then)? Of course, you could always just read them and delete them.
    Well, as long as we're splitting hairs on semantics... "retrieving" the message for *display* is, in my opinion, a far cry from "storing" (even part of) it for later viewing. So, in this sense, download would fit in the later category. When you think of the ideal IMAP client -- one that has the smallest possible footprint on the user's system -- think webmail and EmailViewer.

The fact that there is ONE feature that isn't properly supported is hardly a reason to dismiss an entire product. I STILL haven't found a PC IMAP client that works the way I'd like it to (though Thunderbird is pretty good).
    That one feature makes the product unusable for me. What good is it that I can see my inbox if my mail lands in over a dozen folders, 99% of which I can't see because some folders (including nested folders) have spaces in their names? That makes it unusable for me, despite my issues with storing message data. BTW, saying it's unusable is more a personal observation, and not an assertion that it's entirely useless or "bad."

Personally, my three favorite IMAP implementations are: Thunderbird, EmailViewer, and SquirrelMail.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Llynx
    How about text msg. alerts? I used to use these to alert me that I had new mail but now that I have Chatter I don't need text messages. Either way you receive data. The only way that *I* know of not to download is to use Blazer (or a browser) and view your email via the web... but then I am not all that tech-savvy. But it is pretty easy to set up a mail forwarding to your phone via text message. Then you at least only receive the first 160 characters or whatever ...
    This certainly is one possible approach. But if I were to set up forwarding, the only real way to make it work would result in my receiving nearly 800 SMS messages a day. Ideally, I need something that will keep an eye via IMAP and alert me when something new has come in. Sure, it means more data traffic... but that's why we usually get forced into unlimited data plans, yes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Llynx
    Do you or anyone else know if Fastmail can be accessed directly on Blazer, or some other Palm browser? And can email be answered through the browser, like on a full size computer? Or do I still have to use an email client? Thanks!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Yes, there are many applications for polling for new mail... unfortunately they want you to always *download* messages, and aren't really geared to use IMAP servers they way they're actually intended: to keep your message store on the server and not constantly download as if you were still using old POP3.

I've still found nothing better for *server* IMAP4 access than EmailViewer. But one thing it doesn't do is notify of new messages in the background. So I'm basically after a utility that would help with that specific task. Is anyone aware of such a beast?

Bill
    I'm not sure there is any email client that does what you want. That's why I asked in the above post if going through the browser would work because I don't really want to download a lot of email either. I check my email on a regular basis anyway, so I don't necessarily need notification. You may just have to use Email Viewer and check every hour for email.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Do you or anyone else know if Fastmail can be accessed directly on Blazer, or some other Palm browser? And can email be answered through the browser, like on a full size computer? Or do I still have to use an email client? Thanks!
    Fastmail wap access (only pay accounts can send): wap.fastmail.fm
    Last edited by paulsjmail; 04/29/2005 at 11:49 PM.
    Thank Paul!

Hmmm... I have a folder on my IMAP server entitled 'Sent Items'. I can move mail in and out of it with Evolution. I can tell Chatter to use it as a new folder. Chatter can see mail in that folder.

I can create a new folder entitled 'Test Folder' on the imap server.... add it to my mailbox list on the server... and then add it (after a reload folder list on Chatter) in Chatter and transfer messages to it.

also.... doesn't EmailViewer require the installation of the java runtime environment, i.e. IBM WebSphere Micro Environment. That is an immense download and quite a bit on the treo ... just to get a web email viewer.
    I use versamail to download mail over IMAP, but only from the past 3 days. I also use the command to purge messages over a week old (from the Treo, not the server). It's not quite the same as what webmail gives you, but it works for me and keeps the space requirements fairly minimal.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast