Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    It amazes me that taroliw's (Bill's) desire to "browse" an IMAP server is somehow a foreign concept to everyone. Like Bill, I keep all of my past e-mails organized in a relatively complex folder structure. I have at least 150 folders in total with my entire store probably containing 10,000 e-mails. When I want access to one of these, I want it quickly and efficiently. I might even want to reply to it or forward it on to someone else.

Okay, so webmail would work for this, but this is a pain. First, most webmail apps are not even close to being optimized for the treo's display, so they are either too light (i.e. a WAP solution like outlook mobile access) or too heavy (e.g., outlook web access). Second, it is very inconvenient to have to switch apps to browse old mail. There should be only one place to go.

That said, I'm very unimpressed with the speed and usability of WebViewer. I really like Chatter for the most part, but it's ability to browse old messages EASILY is sorely lacking (no slam on Chatter--noone has it).

I'd like to see Chatter keep its current functionality--essentially downloading and caching the last x-days of inbox/user configurable folder mail (IMAP over GPRS/1xRTT is simply too slow not to be able to cache the most likely relevant messages), but add a nice, integrated IMAP browsing/searching feature. The technical guts are already obviously there since you can create filtered folders. In essence, this feature would seem to the user much like a webmail interface. For browsing, you'd have some method of navigating a folder structure and paging through the headers of the messages in that folder. Selecting a message would download the body and open it up in the e-mail viewer, from there being treated essentially the same way as cached mail (allowing reply, forward, move, delete, etc.). For searching, you'd simply have the ability to add filter criteria once you've "browsed" to a specific folder.

Is this a bizarre desire? I can't imagine that it is. Chatter seems by far the closest to an IMAP user's ideal palm client. Just one or two more small steps...
    Interesting thoughts; I will keep this in mind...

Marc
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    Interesting thoughts; I will keep this in mind...

Marc
    Just in case my description left a bit to be desired, I've attached a couple of UI screens that I hope better represent my thoughts on this. I think for the most part the UI should be self-explanatory. The browser facility would be a "virtual mailbox" below an IMAP account. Selecting the browser from the drop down would bring up a blank screen, allowing the user to first select the IMAP folder to browse (the folder select screen could be identical to the one you use for selecting folders when creating a new mailbox). Filters could be added as desired to narrow down the list of messages (again, largely recreating the filter criteria definition screen for filtered mailboxes). I've drawn it up so that it would download 10 or so headers at a time, allowing you to connect to get more headers as desired (ala outlook express in news reader mode). However, maybe even better would be to relegate the loading of headers to a background task so that they just keep loading until they are all loaded or the user changes the folder/filter criteria. From my deduction of your IMAP engine, this may be very easy and perhaps even easier than implementing a "get more" function. As I mentioned previously, at this point selecting, viewing, replying, forwarding, deleting, etc. would work essentially the same way as does the primary application.

Anyway, I hope this helps some. I'd really LOVE to see something like this implemented.

Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I would like to second the comments above. I'm evaluating Chatteremail (quite impressed so far) but I also have lots of old mail stored in IMAP folders and need occasionally to dive in and select just one old message. In my case, I think a combination of existing filtering plus the ability to set the download size to 0 would do it. Is there some reason for the lower limit of 250 bytes? I searched this forum and the one on the Chatteremail site looking for an explanation, but couldn't find one. Thanks. --PRPRPR
    Hi. The 250 limit is somewhat arbitrary; the idea was to have enough to see what the message is about while not taking up too much space. It could be changed...

I'll think about the browser idea; it's pretty cool.

Marc
  6.    #26  
    Build it and they (we) will come...
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    I'm the polar opposite of taroliw. I like to dl messages during plane changes and reply to them on the next leg of my journey. Upon landing I send/check and get caught up. Users like taroliw aren't high travel folks I assume. Similarly I like to have access to received and sent email for a week in order to follow-up or check facts EVEN if I'm in a no coverage area.

Snapper features with a versamail interface would be ideal.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize
    I'm the polar opposite of taroliw. I like to dl messages during plane changes and reply to them on the next leg of my journey. Upon landing I send/check and get caught up. Users like taroliw aren't high travel folks I assume.
    Poor assumption, and actually completely loses sight of the original rationale for this thread. Although it was hijacked to discuss features/enhancements for Chattermail... the whole point was to suggest that there are alternative ways of handling mail than store/forward... particularly when supporting the IMAP protocol. Put another way, people expect store/forward to be the only option when using POP becuase that's what POP does.

IMAP, on the other hand, was designed with a different goal in mind. Think of Outlook... yes, you can very much set it up (even selectively by folder) to keep a complete local copy of a folder that is also kept on the server, so that you can work completely offline (IF YOU WISH). You can also keep all or some of your messages completely on the server, making them only accessible online. This gives the user flexibility to work on messages in the way that makes sense to them.

But by forcing everyone into a one-size-fits-all approach, and preferring a store/forward approach on a device with arguably limited storage compared to most email servers, just doesn't cut it. I mean, heck... if MICROSOFT can do it, why not other more inventive developers?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12