Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. RH1
    Hi all,

I've read the Treo radiation threads and basically laughed them off, but I'm getting a little concerned. My phone seems to really be interfering with my other devices. For example:

1) If my phone (Cingular GSM) is next to a computer monitor, it makes the image shake when a call comes in or when it checks for mail. It became such a problem, I had to move my phone at the request from others at the table.

2) It causes a sound to come from my laptop speakers when it checks for mail etc.

3) It causes the same sound to come from my car's speakers even when playing a cd, not radio.

4) It causes the same sound to come from the car when using my ipod/itrip combo.

My old Verizon phone never did this and my friend's phones don't do this. Is this Treo causing harm?

Thanks,
    Robert
    Like gadgets or collectibles? Come check out our forums!
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    I think this is a GSM problem not a Treo problem. I have the CDMA treo (Sprint), and don't have these problems at all. My friend's Blackberry on Cingular also does the same things that you described.
  4. RH1
    Hi dwman,

You're not helping!!! I want someone to make me feel better...
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Sorry RH1, just trying to keep my fellow Treo peeps informed
    its because its GSM, my verizon (CDMA) phones wouldn't do this either, but my treo (gsm) does
    1 | 2
    I've seen plenty of other GSM phones interfere with monitors and the like, so I wouldn't be too worried about it. Keep in mind that we are all being bombarded with RF no matter where we are, and I don't think having a transceiver a few inches from your brain is going to make all that much difference.

As I type this, I know there's a 2.4 GHz WiFi broadcast going through me, at least three wireless provider's signals, and countless other forms of RF.

I'm not going to let RF radiation scare me. It's like the air; it's everywhere.
  8. RH1
    Thanks all. (I'm typing this with a 5.8Ghz phone side of me and a 2.4Ghz router.) Maybe it's nothing to worry about. Or maybe I've found another use for my tin foil hat?

Best,
    Robert
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I think it is specifically related to the 850 Mhz band of GSM. 1900 Mhz doesn't seem to do this. At least not for me.

I had an unlocked SMT5600 running to AWS 1900 towers and never saw the problem. Once Cingular bought out AWS, I manually changed the settings of the phone to use the Cingular 850 Mhz towers. This is when I started having this problem.

I tested going back and forth and never had a problem when using the AWS towers.
    I just had to have my my Thinkpad's system board replaced because my Treo checked for mail sitting next to the laptop. Keep it away from your 'puter!
    Quote Originally Posted by rouxdoo
    I just had to have my my Thinkpad's system board replaced because my Treo checked for mail sitting next to the laptop. Keep it away from your 'puter!

12. RH1
    Are you serious?
    I had a Moto v60 on Cingular before they went GSM in my area, and it did all of the things you're describing. You should have heard the interference from my subwoofer under the sofa endtable whenever I got an incoming call! May be a Cingular thing? Boosting power output to support their "More bars in more places" slogan?
    rouxdoo, please elaborate. What really happened to the computer?
    Current: PPC-6700
    Past: Treo 650
    I can't even enjoy my computer sound because as soon as I turn it on, I get the annoying interference noise. I have to put my phone on the other side of the room just to enjoy some music on my computer. Weird, but I've learned to live with it. At work if it's interfering and I'm in a meeting or something, I just turn the phone portion off.
    Experiment with the position and orientation of your phone. I place mine on my desk at work, and find that moving it an inch or two, or rotating it 90 degrees, makes the difference between noise and no noise.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    As weird as that sounds, it makes sense. I'll try it out, because it is driving me crazy. However, I get a much better signal at home with Cingular vs. when I had Verizon, so I guess I'll deal with a little inconvenience of speaker sound vs. no signals.
    Have you ever considered that it might not actually be your phone...it might be you!
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Well I make gauss meters for a living.

www.techintlcorp.com and www.drgauss.com

You can measure RF interference, headsets, etc.

Of course the latest story is that RF from cell phones helps brain tumors see www.microwavenews.com
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Guys, I think you (and quite a few other people) are taking the interference issue a little too seriously. I mean, consider the following:

1. Interference doesn't mean harmful radiation. Has anyone in this group ever tried a Nextel phone? If you think the GSM Treo 650's output is bad, boy are you in for a shock if you ever put a Nextel phone near a set of speakers or a monitor.

2. Everyone keeps talking about how they think cell phones are bad. I even read about how a local fire dpeartment is suing a cell phone company to prevent the ******** of a cell tower nearby. Yet, for DECADES now, police, fire and EMS departments have been using huge, powerful two-way radios, that since at least the late 1980s have been operating in frequencies very close to the cellular networks. the average police radio will broadcast at 3 watts. The average cell phone? Max output i .6 watts, and that's for analog. CDMA and GSM output is even less. So why are police two way radios never scrutinized, but cell phones are?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast