Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Since it doesn't look like anyone has posted on their success on this yet, I thought I'd give it a shot. Hell, I have nothing to lose as my Treo 650 is going back next week and my new one should arrive tomorrow.

I've just downloaded the 1.23 firmware from a post on this site and just ran the update. It's SD card only, just extract the files (they extract into a PALM folder), then copy this folder over to a CLEAN and EMPTY SD card. Plug the card into your Treo and it will ask you to plug in the charger.

Once you do that, you select the Updater on the screen that pops up, it starts installing, gets to 100%, then runs the scripts.

Finally, it resets (i counted 4 resets) choose the language, another reset, press Z as usual, calibrate the stylus, set the time and done. Make sure you also pull the SD card out so it doesn't go through the set up process again.

WOW,

Looks like the first fix is for how long it takes to connect to the Phone network. I counted about 10 seconds. with 1.21, it was 1 minute.

Phone reads:

Firmware: 01.23
    Software: Treo 650-1.06/5052/0 (then it's cutoff)
    Hardware: A

Still shows Garnet 5.4.7 and 21.8 of 22.4 megs free.

I have an Unlocked GSM Treo 650.

Start to finish was approx 30 minutes (Half of that time was copying 650 megs from SD Card to my computer and back again), so update takes only 10-15 minutes or so.

Then re-install Goodlink and restore with Backupman (took another 15 minutes or so).

I like 1.23 so far......
    Did you do a partial or full restore with Backupman after the ROM update ?

calico
  3.    #3  
    I did a full restore from backupman. no issues.

And funny thing is, it looks like I may have picked up another 800k or so of free space (but not confirmed as I did not check the free space immediately before)
    Just did it too.
    1.21 -> 1.23

No problems.

And yes the network find is again as quick as before 1.21.
    --
    Manfred
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    My update from 1.21 to 1.23 was successful as well. BackupMan, which did not work for me under 1.21 (out of memory error), now works fine.
    does it fix the reocurring keyclick noise?
    just did it from 1.21 to 1.23... everything works fine,, just remember to delete the update from the SD card after completion or you will perform the upgrade again...

one thing I did notice was that the problem with 1.21 and the long network search time is gone (took up to a minute with 1.21, back to normal with 1.23)
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Have my unlocked Cingular 650 upgraded from 1.21 to 1.23 and actually this time, it's back to it is normal yet somewhat louder volume on both the speaker and headset compare to 1.21 which lowered the volume.

Faster network searching and better RF (somehow the 1.21 deadspots at school are not dead anymore with 1.23). Memory I did not see too much differences.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalloneeh
    Since it doesn't look like anyone has posted on their success on this yet, I thought I'd give it a shot. Hell, I have nothing to lose as my Treo 650 is going back next week and my new one should arrive tomorrow.

I've just downloaded the 1.23 firmware from a post on this site and just ran the update. It's SD card only, just extract the files (they extract into a PALM folder), then copy this folder over to a CLEAN and EMPTY SD card. Plug the card into your Treo and it will ask you to plug in the charger.

Once you do that, you select the Updater on the screen...........
    Thanks to Stalloneeh for a great description of the process.
    I have taken my locked Cingular from 1.05 to 1.23 and everything went perfectly.
    To be safe I bought a new SD card since my backups are on a 1 gig card using BackupBuddy VFS. You can buy a new 32 meg card for $10 at retail and less on eBay.
    After the process as described by Stalloneeh I did my restore from the 1 gig card. The only thing that did not restore was VoiceDial and I did a new download from P1...the registration was still in the phone...no need to re-register.
    After getting everything back to normal I went from 10.2 meg free to 13.6 meg free...a gain of 3.4 meg.
    Sound seems just slightly better on phone, speaker and bluetooth headset. Honestly mine was pretty good before so I wasn't looking for much.
    As others have reported with 1.23 the network search to get Cingular phone was very quick.
    E-mail via SnapperMail and web via Blazer were all normal...no problems.
    I can't believe how easy this was...the extra sd card and BackupBuddy VFS were a big help.
    Quote Originally Posted by nelson1
    Thanks to Stalloneeh for a great description of the process.
    I have taken my locked Cingular from 1.05 to 1.23 and everything went perfectly.....
    What did the upgrade do to your Cingular apps? Do you have XpressMail? (I would think not)

Also, do you SIM apps work now?
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    The " XpressMail" application, which was really only a stub that directed you to download the main app, is now gone of course. I imagine that if someone had downloaded the app to RAM, it would still be there and function after upgrading.

I can't remember what message used to appear from the SIM Services app, but I think it's changed:
    Unable to retrieve the SIM Services menu.

Either there are no SIM services provided by your mobile operator, or there was an error when talking to your SIM.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Ok, well, I did what I promised myself I wouldn't do. I am taking the plunge. I downloaded the zip file, unzipped it to a blank extra card I have, put the card in, and the upgrade is proceeding on autopilot.

You guys are a bad influence...
    Cingular Treo 650
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    What did the upgrade do to your Cingular apps? Do you have XpressMail? (I would think not)
    Also, do you SIM apps work now?
    I forgot what Cingular apps I had but XpressMail is not there.
    BackupBuddy is a sim app and worked perfectly. My only other sim app is Docs to Go and no problem.
    Ok, it worked. Painless. (Knock on wood) It took a couple of minutes, 4 resets just like Stalloneeh said, did a full restore with BBVFS, and I went from 12.7 to 15.3MB free. I was running a tight ship already, but this is great! The Cingular logo is gone when the radio turns on/off (now you get a Treo logo) and the XpressMail icon is gone. The network find was within seconds of turning the radio on. Phone info just like Stalloneeh's first post. Connected to the internet, checked mail, everything seems to work. Phone volume doesnt seem to have changed, but I just called my voicemail. Then again I never complained about volume to begin with but I will need more talk time to determine if there was any improvement.

There was an app left behind called dcinstaller (5K). I assume it can be deleted?
    Cingular Treo 650
    Ok, it worked. Painless. (Knock on wood) It took a couple of minutes, 4 resets just like Stalloneeh said, did a full restore with BBVFS, and I went from 12.7 to 15.3MB free. I was running a tight ship already, but this is great! The Cingular logo is gone when the radio turns on/off (now you get a Treo logo) and the XpressMail icon is gone. The network find was within seconds of turning the radio on. Phone info just like Stalloneeh's first post. Connected to the internet, checked mail, everything seems to work. Phone volume doesnt seem to have changed, but I just called my voicemail. Then again I never complained about volume to begin with but I will need more talk time to determine if there was any improvement.

There was an app left behind called dcinstaller (5K). I assume it can be deleted?

I think it can be deleted. I removed it on mine.
    Joe
    Must... resist .... the urge... to click on it... Arghhhhhh. Ok, I deleted it. (Backed it up first).

My Treo did not explode. I wanted to click it sooo bad just to see what happened. They say curiosity killed the cat (and the stupid Treo owner).

Life is good.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    LOL well after I removed my SD that DCInstaller was gone, after I put the SD back in it did not show up neither lol.

I am curiosity sometimes but hmmm, still alive? XD
    Ok, well, I did what I promised myself I wouldn't do. I am taking the plunge. [...] You guys are a bad influence...
    Muahahahah. Welcome to the Dark Side.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Must... resist .... the urge... to click on it... Arghhhhhh. Ok, I deleted it. (Backed it up first).

My Treo did not explode. I wanted to click it sooo bad just to see what happened. They say curiosity killed the cat (and the stupid Treo owner).

Life is good.
    Clicked on mine before I removed it. Didn't do anything but take me to the phone app.

Joe
    Folks,

It sounds like the update worked for all of you. What, if anything, changed?

I have the 1.05 firmware & Treo650-1.04.CNG Software.

My 650 is still on trial, the audio is hard to hear, and it crashes a lot.

Did anything improve?

Glenn
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast